5/1 Cheering, Venting & Hacktastic - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/1 Cheering, Venting & Hacktastic

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team in the NL Central?

Poll ended at Thu May 02, 2013 7:17 am

St. Louis Cardinals
38%
Milwaukee Brewers
4%
Pittsburgh Pirates
15%
Cincinnati Reds
38%
Chicago Cubs
4%

Total votes : 26

Re: 5/1 Cheering, Venting & Hacktastic

Postby Ender » Wed May 01, 2013 12:52 pm

When the Ks fall back down and the ERA climbs to 3.50 or so I think Buchholz ends up being a poor man's Kyle Lohse. I hope I'm wrong because I like the Red Sox but I fear I'm right.

I feel bad for Dillon Gee. Such a promising start to last season then the injury and now getting lit up Miami with Stanton on the DL. That must be very embarrassing for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby UMTerp29 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:04 pm

It looks like my Dillon Gee spot start against the AAA Marlins lineup is going to work out exactly as planned. %-6 :-t
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby UMTerp29 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Ender wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:NL Central is Reds or Cards. I don't really see how anyone picks the Brewers, Pirates or Cubs.

Why wouldn't anyone be able to pick the Brewers. Had the best offense in the NL last year, has a better offense this year. They got off to a rotten start to 2012 but they had a better record than the Reds or the Cardinals from mid May on. They are right in the mix now even with 2 of their biggest bats on the DL. The rotation is probably better this year than last year too. It is really the bullpen that is the question. If they had a couple better RP I'd be pretty confident picking them.

Ender, are you a Brewers fan? I've got Wily Peralta in a dynasty and wondering what his value is this year and going forward in the future?
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

Anibal with 2 walks and 2 hits allowed in the first inning against the Twins. After going 122 pitches in a 10-0 rout 5 days ago. When will teams stop needlessly leaving their starters in games to throw too many pitches? Maybe it's all just anecdotal coincidence but this seems to happen a lot. And it's not just hindsight, I said it was a bad idea the day he threw all those pitches.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby nymets300 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Anibal with 2 walks and 2 hits allowed in the first inning against the Twins. After going 122 pitches in a 10-0 rout 5 days ago. When will teams stop needlessly leaving their starters in games to throw too many pitches? Maybe it's all just anecdotal coincidence but this seems to happen a lot. And it's not just hindsight, I said it was a bad idea the day he threw all those pitches.

I'd say it's just confirmation bias. Unless there are numbers out there that I'm not aware of that pitchers have worse outings after throwing a lot of pitches in their previous start, I'm not buying it.
nymets300
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Anibal with 2 walks and 2 hits allowed in the first inning against the Twins. After going 122 pitches in a 10-0 rout 5 days ago. When will teams stop needlessly leaving their starters in games to throw too many pitches? Maybe it's all just anecdotal coincidence but this seems to happen a lot. And it's not just hindsight, I said it was a bad idea the day he threw all those pitches.

Harvey just got off a 121 pitch start. Would you bench him regardless of the matchup his next time out due to this?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 298)

Postby Ender » Wed May 01, 2013 1:48 pm

UMTerp29 wrote:
Ender, are you a Brewers fan? I've got Wily Peralta in a dynasty and wondering what his value is this year and going forward in the future?

Yes and I have no idea~. Everything he throws has heavy sink to it, he reminds me a lot of a sane Carlos Zambrano and just like with Zambrano it is going to depend on his control how good he can be. He will be worth owning at some point, I don't know if this year will be that point though. I expect him to get a good number of Ks, a lot of grounders but to walk too many for comfort.
Last edited by Ender on Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 pm

Anibal throwing a lot of pitches and struggling a bit. I am pleased thusfar, let's just get him out before he can get a W and I'll be thrilled.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Izenhart wrote:

Harvey just got off a 121 pitch start. Would you bench him regardless of the matchup his next time out due to this?

No it's not a black and white thing, with some magic threshold. But I've just noticed that guys who throw more pitches than usual have a tendency to struggle in the month or so following it. It's not scientific, so yeah it could just be confirmation/selection bias (guys who throw more pitches than they usually do are also probably pitching better than they usually do, so when they're "normal" the next time out it seems worse), but it would be interesting to look into. I wish I had the means to look into stuff like this but I really have no idea how to go about it.

But the fact remains, that Anibal threw way more pitches than was necessary in his last start. They were up 10-0 in the 4th inning. And this start, he's given up 7 baserunners in 3 innings against a terrible Twins team that is second last in the league in wRC+.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby wrveres » Wed May 01, 2013 2:10 pm

for Aussie.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres