How good is Hisashi Iwakuma? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How good is Hisashi Iwakuma?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How good is Hisashi Iwakuma?

Postby rjforlife » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:23 am

I'm curious what everyone thinks this guy is worth at this point. Last year he spent the first half in relief and was fairly crappy. Then in the second half, he was a starter the whole time, went 8-4 with a 2.50 era. He had decent K's and pretty solid control. Now this season, he has been phenomenal, against six various opponents. He has racked up a K/IP to go along with a 1.67 era and a .69 WHIP. Obviously he cannot continue this incredible run of the first season, but after what he did in the second half last season, can he be a guy that wins 14-16 games with a sub 3 era and a 1.10 WHIP and 175 Ks? I have watched him start against Houston and Texas, and both times he really looked solid, throwing 91-93 with really good movement and devastating change up with diving action. What's everyone's take on this guy, is he a sell high guy or hold and enjoy guy?

Edit: What pitchers do you rank him near, like 3 or so just above him and 3 or so just below him.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How good is Hisashi Iwakuma?

Postby stackitup31 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 am

He's an interesting case who was actually in my mind been undervalued his entire career. From I think 2005-2007 he was battling injuries to his elbow and shoulder. He broke out in 2008 and won 21 games and posted the league leading era of 1.80 in the Pacific League. The 2nd place era that year was none other than Yu Darvish. I fully believe Iwakuma is the real deal. He posted numbers similar to if not better than Darvish in Japan. If he keeps up the control, and I see no reason he can't judging by his BB/9 in Japan sitting right around 2, be a 2nd or 3rd starter at the very least. He's a groundball pitcher with real good stuff. He has a shuuto ball (2seam/sinker) that is nasty and is able to throw his curveball around 70 mph. One possible red flag for me is his HR/9 being over 1 in the majors. But we are still talking about a guy who owns something like a 2.35 lifetime ERA. I will be buying and holding wherever I can, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a sub 3 era and once this blister situation gets resolved he'll go deeper into games.

I'm pretty high on Iwakuma but I'll throw him around the top 25-30 starting pitchers in the league. 3 above him Zimmermann,Shields, Moore. 3 below him Kennedy, Fister, Kuroda.
stackitup31
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby diewitsjames » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:59 am

this guy has been phenomenal all season. i drafted him late in every league and he has produced better than most aces thus far. the only thing that concerns me is his chronic blister injury that has him pitching only 5-6 innings each game
diewitsjames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Element » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm

He was a lot better at home last season than he was on the road. His LOB% last season over 81% and is currently sitting above 90%. I'm intrigued to a degree, but I am selling if I own him.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:10 pm

I believe he is a quality SP that should be owned in more or less every league. I'd still try to sell high on him though because I don't think the Ks stay this high.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Izenhart » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 am

I don't think enough people believe he is for real to sell high. You'd still be selling low. Enjoy the ride for now, he's a good SP even if (when) the numbers come down some.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm trying to trade for Iwakuma in a few redraft leagues and am wondering what owners feel his worth is at this point in a 1 for 1 swap. Would you give him up for Ellsbury? Justin Upton? How about David Ortiz?

How about deep leagues would you trade him for a top closer? Would Kenley Jansen be enough? What would it take for you to click 'accept'?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 294)

Postby jefferey13 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 pm

Izenhart wrote:I'm trying to trade for Iwakuma in a few redraft leagues and am wondering what owners feel his worth is at this point in a 1 for 1 swap. Would you give him up for Ellsbury? Justin Upton? How about David Ortiz?

How about deep leagues would you trade him for a top closer? Would Kenley Jansen be enough? What would it take for you to click 'accept'?

That is such a hard question because to me it is all relative to who is on my team, and the needs on my team. It makes it almost impossible for me judge it "all things being equal" unless I'm trading a SP for a SP or a 2B for a 2B.

Yes I would give him up for Ellsbury and Upton. No I wouldn't consider Jansen.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers