What SP should I target for Encarnacion or Santana? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What SP should I target for Encarnacion or Santana?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What SP should I target for Encarnacion or Santana?

Postby ramble2 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 pm

12 team keeper, 5x5 league. My team's off to a good start, and is good enough to compete for 1st. I have a nice problem: too much talent and production getting left on my bench. On days with a full schedule I have to sit one of Encarnacion, Santana, or Rosario. I'm looking to move either Encarnacion or Santana for a top tier player that will get more production into my starting line up.

Here's my lineup:

C-W. Rosario*
1B-Goldschmidt*
2B-Phillips
3B-M. Cabrera*
OF-C. Gonzalez*
OF-A. Gordon
OF-D. Brown
UT-Encarnacion*/Santana*
Bench-Puig, A. Castellanos
(DL-A. Eaton)
(*=keeper)

SP-Strasburg*, Scherzer, J. Garcia, Minor, Hammel, Teheran
RP-Perkins, Wilhelmsen, Henderson (w/Axford on bench), Robertson, Storen, Rondon

I need to move one of Encarnacion, Santana, or Rosario. It makes no sense to have one of them sitting on my bench; I'd rather trade one for a comparable player that I can get into the starting lineup. Encarnacion and Santana will probably net me the most in return. In addition to being highly productive, they are also cheap keepers (rounds 11 & 14, respectively).

I've been trying to package either with Eaton to get Kemp, which would give me a huge OF and some flexibility/depth in my lineup, but now I'm thinking I should be shoring up my SP. What pitchers should I be targeting? Matt Harvey (who would be a potential keeper)? Other suggestions? Is going for a SP rather than an OF the right move?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What SP should I target for Encarnacion or Santana?

Postby germani40 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:52 pm

For Santana maybe someone like a Medlan, Zimmerman, Scerzer, Shields, maybe Latos. Its hard to gauge value without their keeper rounds in mind. I would keep EE at that keeper value.

Who are some guys you were thinking about targeting?
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:14 pm

I'd try to deal Rosario for a SP along the lines of Sarmardzija,Fister,Gio Gonzalez (buy low),Peavy,Ryu,Homer Baily are a few names that come to mind a #2 SP, or low end #1. Might have to give a back of the roation type to compelte this sort of trade.

Please help with my question.

viewtopic.php?t=459523
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:03 am

Thanks guys, great stuff.

Matt Harvey was a SP I had in mind to target, but that was primarily based on that team needing a 1B and C. I'll look around the league a bit more for a good trading partner, but Zimmerman and Latos are both great ideas. I'd go after Scherzer, but I've already got him! Anibal Sanchez might be another SP to toss into the mix.

Good idea to move Rosario too, although I would worry people might undervalue him in my league. It's worth throwing him out there. He's actually a cheap keeper too (I think he'll cost me a 15th rounder), so I'll play that up. I like a Rosario-Sarmadzija trade. That's a good match.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby allen730877 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 am

ramble2 wrote:Thanks guys, great stuff.

Matt Harvey was a SP I had in mind to target, but that was primarily based on that team needing a 1B and C. I'll look around the league a bit more for a good trading partner, but Zimmerman and Latos are both great ideas. I'd go after Scherzer, but I've already got him! Anibal Sanchez might be another SP to toss into the mix.

Good idea to move Rosario too, although I would worry people might undervalue him in my league. It's worth throwing him out there. He's actually a cheap keeper too (I think he'll cost me a 15th rounder), so I'll play that up. I like a Rosario-Sarmadzija trade. That's a good match.

I agree with you that most people do not value Rosario for what he is worth. Shop Santana around and see what you could get.
allen730877
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 am

OF-3 upgrade and another starter is what I'd go for. You could use some speed. I would shoot for Bourn and decent starter in a package deal perhaps a Latos or someone like that works nicely.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1992)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 pm

MadDog36 wrote:OF-3 upgrade and another starter is what I'd go for. You could use some speed. I would shoot for Bourn and decent starter in a package deal perhaps a Latos or someone like that works nicely.

That's impressive. In my league the same team with Latos also owns Bourn. Good call, and that'd be a fine trade.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't think you can get both Latos AND Bourn with Santana or Rosario...you might should toss in D. Brown, J. Garcia, Hammel to at least give him a steady starter back.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MadDog36 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't think you can get both Latos AND Bourn with Santana or Rosario...you might should toss in D. Brown, J. Garcia, Hammel to at least give him a steady starter back.
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:51 am

MadDog36 wrote:I don't think you can get both Latos AND Bourn with Santana or Rosario...you might should toss in D. Brown, J. Garcia, Hammel to at least give him a steady starter back.

Oh, I agree! I just like the idea of getting those two in a package. I contacted the owner, and he's up for something. If I can keep this thread going, anybody have any ideas on what a good starting offer might be? Not sure if Santana + Hammel will quite do it, though I'd take that in a heartbeat.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions