4/26-4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Jarrod Parker Sucks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/26-4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Jarrod Parker Sucks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/26-4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Jarrod Parker Sucks

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:24 pm

.: Rant :.

So I thought I was such a boss for swooping in and burning my Waiver Priority on Jarrod Parker, who was dropped by what I felt was an impatient owner. Guy was just off to a rough start. Look at all this free production I just got! Nay nay. Dude sucks. I'm about to drop him so I can look at an empty Roster spot on my Bench. That's how much he sucks. He makes Yovani Gallardo look like Matt Harvey. And at what point are they going to officially re-title the Cy Young Award as the Matt Harvey Award? Do I need to start a thread like the 3-HR Game One? Would you guys throw a date out there if I did a 2nd Half No Hitter Pool too? Am I really going to be able to get you a custom title for winning these nonsense games? The answer to all of those questions is 'Probably Not'...

- B.H.

.: Around the MLB :.

MLB.com - Combining the March/April performances of Vida Blue in 1971, Fernando Valenzuela in '81, Randy Johnson in 2000, Cliff Lee in '08, Zack Greinke in '09, Ubaldo Jimenez in '10 and Jered Weaver in '11, the easy math spits out a 38-1 record and a 0.81 ERA. Weaver's 2011 campaign saw him finish second in American League Cy Young Award balloting and Jimenez's '10 season concluded with a third-place finish in the National League voting. The other five pitchers all saw their early performances set the tone for superb years which led to Cy Young Awards. That could be a nice sign of things to come for Boston's Clay Buchholz, whose 2013 work in April -- when it comes to victories and earned runs allowed -- has put him in the same class with these seven.

- Listen, I dunno about you, but if I own Clay Buttholes, I'm selling my soul to trade him before he wakes up one day, looks in the mirror, and remembers he's Clay Buttholes.

MLB.com - Captain Derek Jeter said that it has been "difficult" and "frustrating" to remain on the disabled list with an injured left ankle while his team plays, but he vowed to rejoin the lineup this season. Jeter spoke on Thursday during a news conference at Yankee Stadium, making his first public comments since learning that he had a new fracture in his surgically repaired ankle. He said there is no doubt in his mind that he will play this season. "When you have doubt, that's when you're in trouble," Jeter said. "I've been told this bone will heal, and when it heals, I'll be ready to go. It's frustrating that I can't magically make it heal sooner than it's taking, but I have no doubt I'll be back."

- But will it be too late? Does anybody outside of the Bronx care?

.: Around the Cafe :.

Wanna hear a voice that makes Bill Simmons' sound soothing yammer about relevant, knowledgeable, thoughtful, helpful fantasy baseball information? Then tune into the Week 4 Cafe Podcast, hosted by R.J. White.

Buy Low, Sell High, Hold, Drop, Wait? Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a $&#@?? Check out our 2013 Buy Low/Sell High Thread, and get educated.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If you root for your fantasy team over your hometown/favorite team, you're a Communist. Agree/Disagree? Weight in here.

Andrew Cashner takes the bump for the Friars today. There's some debate going on over how effective he can be in both the short and long term. Get in on the action now, before he pitches, because nothing is more annoying than guys chiming in after the fact saying I told ya so; who didn't have the balls to say it beforehand. Also, someone needs to report how many foul tips he allows after the game. I want to be the FanGraphs of foul tip data.

.: Today's Games :.

TOR: Laffey (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
NYY: Nova (1-1, 6.14 ERA)

CIN: Bailey (1-1, 3.24 ERA)
WSH: Zimmermann (3-1, 2.67 ERA)

ATL: Maholm (3-1, 1.03 ERA)
DET: Sanchez (2-1, 1.75 ERA)

PHI: Kendrick (1-1, 3.28 ERA)
NYM: Gee (1-3, 5.95 ERA)

HOU: Bedard (0-1, 6.17 ERA)
BOS: Dempster (0-2, 3.38 ERA)

CHC: Feldman (0-3, 4.50 ERA)
MIA: LeBlanc (0-3, 6.27 ERA)

TB: Hernandez (1-3, 4.74 ERA)
CHW: Peavy (2-1, 3.20 ERA)

PIT: Sanchez (0-2, 11.12 ERA)
STL: Lynn (3-0, 3.68 ERA)

CLE: Kazmir (0-0, 16.20 ERA)
KC: Santana (2-1, 2.48 ERA)

COL: Nicasio (2-0, 5.31 ERA)
ARI: McCarthy (0-2, 7.06 ERA)

TEX: Grimm (1-0, 2.70 ERA)
MIN: Diamond (1-1, 4.35 ERA)

MIL: Burgos (1-0, 1.80 ERA)
LAD: Beckett (0-3, 4.68 ERA)

BAL: Chen (1-2, 3.38 ERA)
OAK: Milone (3-1, 4.26 ERA)

SF: Lincecum (2-0, 3.97 ERA)
SD: Cashner (0-1, 4.05 ERA)

LAA: Wilson (1-0, 4.13 ERA)
SEA: Harang (0-2, 10.24 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/26-4/28 Cheering, Venting, & Jarrod Parker Sucks

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 pm

Personally I'd like to know what Andrew Cashner's floor is. Preliminary results say "kinda low +/- 0.5 hunting accidents".

I think it's Dan Straily time in Oakland, again. Parker has been terrible. Brett Anderson has been almost as bad, but at least has a track record. Straily has been mowing down PCL hitters to the tune of a 27% K-rate and an ERA and WHIP on the happy side of "1". Only a matter of time.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Personally I'd like to know what Andrew Cashner's floor is. Preliminary results say "kinda low +/- 0.5 hunting accidents".

I think it's Dan Straily time in Oakland, again. Parker has been terrible. Brett Anderson has been almost as bad, but at least has a track record. Straily has been mowing down PCL hitters to the tune of a 27% K-rate and an ERA and WHIP on the happy side of "1". Only a matter of time.

I've been a big Straily guy since last season, and hope it's time too. Have him in my Minors in one league, and waiting to snatch him in my other league.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:21 pm

I think Cashner's downside is that he just pitches to his career norms. So he hurts you in everything but K and ends up with negative value. The upside is something like last year Samardzija maybe?

I too would be selling fast and hard on Buchholtz. I'd be selling high on Halladay and Harvey too though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:28 pm

That's the thing, he doesn't have career norms. He's made 7 starts. His 124 career IP are spread out between 4 different years on two different teams in two different roles. Taking it all and creating a skills-based projection given his home park and league (what Steamer excels at) spits out a median projection of a 3.62 ERA and more than a K per inning. There's a lot of variance here, so he could range anywhere from a 3.00 ERA up to a 5.00 ERA. ZiPS is more conservative with an median ERA close to 4 and a K/9 of 8.5 with the difference here probably due to the fact that Steamer uses FBV in it's projections.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Well I meant what his current career norms are. It won't surprise me if he has a low 4 ERA with a low 1.3 WHIP and a K per IP with below average wins. That is probably the low end of what I'd expect out of him. That is what he has done in 125 innings with some of them coming in relief. His peripherals have red flags all over them but they do have that juicy K/9 to go with it.

I'm really interested to see what Maholm does in this start. He has had what I consider pretty easy matchups so far on the year but @Det is a really nice test to see just how far he has come along.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Cashner. :-L
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby UMTerp29 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Skin Blues wrote:Personally I'd like to know what Andrew Cashner's floor is. Preliminary results say "kinda low +/- 0.5 hunting accidents".

I've been a big Straily guy since last season, and hope it's time too. Have him in my Minors in one league, and waiting to snatch him in my other league.

What is the upside with Straily? Is 3.6ish ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and 8.5 k/9 realistic? My pitching staff has been awful so far so I'm thinking of grabbing him as an upside play. There are a bunch of low upside starters available - Ervin Santana, Jason Hammel, Justin Masterson, etc. - is Straily worth grabbing and stashing over those type of pitchers?
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:11 pm

UMTerp29 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

What is the upside with Straily? Is 3.6ish ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and 8.5 k/9 realistic? My pitching staff has been awful so far so I'm thinking of grabbing him as an upside play. There are a bunch of low upside starters available - Ervin Santana, Jason Hammel, Justin Masterson, etc. - is Straily worth grabbing and stashing over those type of pitchers?

I like Straily better than this, particularly with regards to WHIP. Those numbers are borderline replacement level. I like him better than any of Ervin, Hammel, and Masterson. For me, the better question would be is he worth rostering over Tony Cingrani, Anibal Sanchez, or Trevor Cahill?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:22 pm

Over Anibal and Cahill, sure. Those are low K guys with low ceilings. Ervin Santana could easily be better than each of them from here on out as well, as he's missing a lot of bats a la 2008 Ervin Santana. Cingrani and Straily might be a toss up, each has a high ceiling and high K potential. Cingrani in the NL facing a pitcher might tip the scales, although his rotation spot is not secure either, with Mike Leake doing a decent job.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers