Andrew Cashner in the rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andrew Cashner in the rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Andrew Cashner in the rotation

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am

wingman3110 wrote:^^^I'm assuming you are in 14 team or deeper league.

In my 16 team league he has been owned all year. I guess I should've said in a 12 team league he was just picked up.

He's not in a deeper league, he's in a California league.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am

In my 16 team league he has been owned all year. I guess I should've said in a 12 team league he was just picked up.
no, a 12 team league too. It was known he was going to start sooner rather than later, and letting him get a few solid innings out of your bullpen wasn't the worst thing in the world.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby wrveres » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:27 am

bigh0rt wrote:

He's not in a deeper league, he's in a California league.
:-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:48 am

wrveres wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Some this hopefully will be settled Friday. Interested to see how he does against the Giants. One league I was going to wait to Friday and see how he does to pick him up but he was snagged this morning.
he has been owned in all my leagues for most of the season.

Yeah he was owned in 3 of my 4 leagues before he ever started. He is not rostered in my 14 team no bench league just yet. I'm trying to decide if he is worth it or not in that format.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

He's not in a deeper league, he's in a California penal league.

Fixed.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby West » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:34 pm

The HR/FB% argument is a little silly when we consider sample size and also the fact that Cashner has a career GB rate of 50.6%. That's elite, right up there with what Felix, Lester and Wainwright have done the last few years. So I can't see HR being a problem. We'll see won't we?

I agree with Ender that I would bench Cashner for certain starts, but then again I would bench just about all SP except for the top 10 on certain starts). I'm sure he will have an innings limit and there probably will be a lot of 5-7 inning starts which limits his value and win potential.

For most people the initial investment was $0-$3 or a 24th round pick so this is why he is exciting.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby CisedForBryce » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Where do you think Cashner falls in the following group?

E. Jackson, Griffin, Vogelsong, J. Fernandez, J. Parker, Teheran
CisedForBryce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby rjforlife » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:51 am

The Cashner Report:

I just finished watching Cashner's start and did a breakdown of the pitches and results. I realize some of this info is shown elsewhere but these are my records of data and observations.

1. Most important was that Cashner was well under his foul ball quota of 23, only getting 15 fouls tonight. He did, however, only throw 83 pitches so perhaps my number was a bit high.

2. Cashner threw first ball strikes to only 11/23 hitters. This number is not terrible, but he could certainly improve upon that. He did, however, only go to a three ball count on five occasions. Laughably, two of those occasions were with Lincecum, who ended up striking out both times. 52/83 pitches for strikes is a solid number, as evidenced by completing six innings in just 83 pitches.

3. 11 strikes were called, 9 were swing and misses, 15 foul balls, 9 groundouts, 3 flyouts, and 5 singles accounted for the strikes he threw. 9 swing and misses was OK for this effort, different team or more starts and this number could go up, the Giants are a good contact team in general.

4. Only one ball the entire night was really hit hard, and it was a Panda rope that Denorfia snagged for an out. It was really a non-stressful outing for him so it's tough to tell how he will handle tough spots, but he did have two on no out and got out of it without giving up a run. His general demeanor was stoic and he never showed even a glimmer of emotion.

5. With only 83 pitches thrown, it's tough to really gauge his stamina, but he threw the same speeds the entire night, starting out with 95-96 and ending with the same. His changeup was solid, 85 mph, and kept the hitters off balance. His curve has some decent movement, but it needs work to become a better strikeout generator.

Overall, I was very impressed with the performance. I like his attitude, the heat with movement, and his control. I'd say he should start against anyone at home, and really against most teams on the road, save for a few obvious ones that have already been pointed out. I think he loves being in the rotation and is unlikely to find himself out of it anytime soon except to save his arm later on in the season once the Padres are out of the race.

CFB- I have Cashner below Vogelsong and ahead of the rest. Parker I would normally have above him but I just cannot back Parker for anything at this point. I haven't seen enough of Fernandez to really say but the experience edge has to go to Cashner and he certainly doesn't lack the stuff. E-Jax/Teheran aren't that great in my book, and Griffin doesn't get enough K's for me to put him ahead of Cashner.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 766)

Postby hondo4mvp » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:24 am

rjforlife wrote:The Cashner Report:

4. Only one ball the entire night was really hit hard, and it was a Panda rope that Denorfia snagged for an out. It was really a non-stressful outing for him so it's tough to tell how he will handle tough spots, but he did have two on no out and got out of it without giving up a run. His general demeanor was stoic and he never showed even a glimmer of emotion.

Great summary.I did notice he seemed to get a little hot after about the 3rd bad /borderline call,cause he sure wasn't getting any help from behind the plate.
I also worried about him starting behind in the count so much,but overall I was pleased.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby West » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Cashner's May, assuming 5 man rotation with no skips:
@CHC
vs. MIA
@TB
vs. WAS
@ARI
vs. SEA

I don't think I'll be sitting him all month.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers