Andrew Cashner in the rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Andrew Cashner in the rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Andrew Cashner in the rotation

Postby West » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:40 pm

This news is a day or two old but in light of recent injury to Tyson Ross, Cashner will start vs. SF on Friday and Black foresees Cashner staying in the rotation long term
http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=849983 ... n-rotation

Cashner missed out on a rotation spot after injuring his thumb in an offseason hunting accident. I think if he stays injury free he could really put up some impressive numbers in SD. So far his numbers are modest - 4.44 FIP, 14K in 13 IP and a 1.20 WHIP. He has serious strikeout potential and I think he could easily approach 150-160 K if he keeps his rotation spot all year. It may be a bumpy ride at times as his walks have increased over the last two years but I think now is when you want to get in on him in deeper mixed leagues. In NL only leagues he may already be gone but if he isn't I would be all over him.

Who's with me?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Andrew Cashner in the rotation

Postby daullaz » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:46 pm

I've been holding on to him all year waiting for this. We discussed him a little in the Cafe Pod:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/radio.php
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 129)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Situational starter at best, I would avoid using him in any hitters park or against good offenses.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Must-own in pretty much any league. Huge ceiling and plays half his games in Petco. Won't find many K+ per inning starters on the waiver wire, especially ones in the most favourable pitcher's park in baseball. I have him on every team, and he was dirt cheap.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby West » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Ender wrote:Situational starter at best, I would avoid using him in any hitters park or against good offenses.

Whole heartedly disagree with this assessment, but you already knew that. To each his own. ;-D
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:22 pm

West wrote:
Ender wrote:Situational starter at best, I would avoid using him in any hitters park or against good offenses.

Whole heartedly disagree with this assessment, but you already knew that. To each his own. ;-D

Don't trust him to stay healthy, don't trust him to go deep in games, don't trust him to keep his BB low to not hurt you in WHIP. GIves up way too many HR so I don't trust him to help in ERA. I don't trust that offense to win him a ton of games either. I think he is worth owning but this is the type of player that can easily hurt you more than they help you if you send him out for every start. I would never start him in say a road game against the Brewers or any game against the Cardinals. There are uses for him for sure though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm

Ender wrote:Don't trust him to stay healthy, don't trust him to go deep in games, don't trust him to keep his BB low to not hurt you in WHIP. GIves up way too many HR so I don't trust him to help in ERA. I don't trust that offense to win him a ton of games either. I think he is worth owning but this is the type of player that can easily hurt you more than they help you if you send him out for every start. I would never start him in say a road game against the Brewers or any game against the Cardinals. There are uses for him for sure though.

Come on, "situational starter at best"? You know that's way off. Cashner has always had a great GB rate so I'm not sure where the HR concerns come from. He has given up 16 in 125 career IP, and his HR/FB is an unusually high %15 which should normalize some over a larger sample size. He also had a much lower HR rate in the minors, he only gave up 4 HR in 214 career MILB IP.

The W and BB concerns are obviously the biggest concerns. As for the schedule, he pitches in the best possible division, NL West. For every STL and MIL he'll get a LAD or SF. I can't see his road schedule being that tough. He's obviously money at home and for what he's going to cost you in a mixed league he is a definite buy. There's very little risk here and absolute no reason not to spring to the waiver wire right now if he is still available. There's plenty to nitpick but no one is expecting Clayton Kershaw here.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes situational starter at best. I would pick him up and leave him on my bench and play matchups with him. Home starts against medium to weak offenses and road starts against weak offenses. He has a career 15.5% HR/FB so not sure why we assume this year is flukey.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Anything close to a 15.5% HR/FB is not sustainable for any starter, let alone one in Petco Park, and for a guy that excelled at keeping the ball in the yard in the minors (0.1 HR/9 in 205 minor league innings).

At best he's a 3.50 ERA, 10 K/9 starting pitcher. If that is only worth situational starts in your league, then I guess he's a situational starter at best. At worst, he flops in the rotation and you drop him. Smart move is to get him on your roster if he's available and hope he sticks in the rotation all season.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby umphrey » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:49 pm

He seems like a prospect but he's actually 27 years old with only 124 MLB innings.
umphrey
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers