Valverde named Closer for Detroit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Valverde named Closer for Detroit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Valverde named Closer for Detroit

Postby West » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm

I think this deserves its own subject. Add him everywhere. Thoughts, projections? Chances that Rondon/Albuquerque move in on the role later on?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Valverde named Closer for Detroit

Postby West » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:11 pm

West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shelby lou » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

I am planning to pick up Valverde but I would have to drop one of two closers to do so.....but which one Veras or Frieri?
shelby lou
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Postby wrveres » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:04 pm

shelby lou wrote:I am planning to pick up Valverde but I would have to drop one of two closers to do so.....but which one Veras or Frieri?
my first rule of thumb is never bet against a Veras
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:08 pm

shelby lou wrote:I am planning to pick up Valverde but I would have to drop one of two closers to do so.....but which one Veras or Frieri?

Veras isn't very good to begin with and the Astros are just so bad that it really does limit how many chances he'll get. I'd drop him.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:38 am

I put this in the closers thread, but can drop it here too.

I didn't own Valverde in any leagues last season. I think likely he went higher than I valued him since he came off a season before in 2011 where he did not blow a single save. but it seems as though some people are valuing Valverde really low, based on 2012? I can't remember the playoffs and what he did there. but his 2012 season really wasn't bad.
overall for 2012 he did have a low 65.3 LOB%. compared to 2011 at 82.9% and 2010 at 75.4%. career is 77.0%.
his BB were also down in 2012 at 3.52 BB/9, compared to 2011 at 4.23 and 2010 at 4.57 BB/9.
one thing I did see mentioned was his declining K/9 for each of the last 7 seasons.
2012- 6.26
2011- 8.59
2010- 9.00
2009- 9.33
2008- 10.38
2007- 10.91
2006- 12.59

this was also posted in the closers thread by wrveres. I think this is helpful.
Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski announced Tuesday night that Jose Valverde will be added to the roster Wednesday prior to the game against the Kansas City Royals.

There's no question as to what role he will be placed in. Tigers manager Jim Leyland was asked whether Valverde would pitch Wednesday night if the Tigers found themselves in a save situation.

"He would," Leyland said matter-of-factly.

The Tigers sent Brayan Villarreal to Triple-A Toledo to make room for Valverde on the active roster and will make a corresponding move Wednesday to make room for Valverde on the 40-man roster.

Surprised that Valverde is back? You probably should be. The Tigers expressed no interest in re-signing him following the 2012 season and took him back earlier this month only after he and agent Scott Boras agreed that Valverde would sign a minor-league contract with no major-league guarantees.

The Tigers had until May 8 to kick the tires. Obviously, they didn't need that long. They clearly believe they are getting the 2010-11 version of Valverde and not the 2012 model. Valverde turned into a one-pitch pitcher at times last season even before his postseason implosion. But he's been throwing the ball "extremely well," according to Dombrowski.

"One scout said it's the best he's ever seen him throw the ball," Leyland said, "as far as velocity and coming out of his hand."

Dombrowski admitted that he was surprised at how fast the process worked, but he said the reason it moved at such a fast pace is because Valverde proved himself worthy.

"He's throwing the ball very well," Dombrowski said. "He's thrown it consistently well for us. He's throwing the ball 93 to 95, 96 on a pretty consistent basis, in fact a consistent basis. He has thrown the split finger. He's in real good shape. His arm's good. He's been throwing the ball for us better than what he threw the ball last year."

if Valverde is throwing well, I think he could be very successful.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 74)

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:46 am

I picked him up in the one league I needed a closer. That league I drafted Kimbrel as my only closer and the asian dude in Chi figuring he would get the job. Someone dropped Marmol so I got him. I picked up Henderson early and that seems to be solid and now I got Valverde. I guess that would be case #1 for the don't pay for saves mantra (which I don't really believe in). Last year I could give you case #1 and #2 for paying for saves since two of my leagues were heavily derailed by chasing mediocre closers~.

I don't see any reason to think he can't be effective, he should be owned in 100% of leagues.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby CaintTouchThis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:34 pm

So #2 wavier for him?
CaintTouchThis
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby West » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:51 pm

CaintTouchThis wrote:So #2 wavier for him?

Questions like this are pointless unless you specify:
League size
Format
Your existing team
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:05 pm

Papa Grande has looked great out there twice now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers