Baseball front office jobs in stats, budgets, contracts, etc - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball front office jobs in stats, budgets, contracts, etc

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pvhawkeye » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:43 am

So this is a question I posted on yahoo questions, and I figured a baseball community might be able to help a little more:
I will be graduating next spring with a BS in Industrial Engineering, a minor in business (my business classes focus on a management curriculum). I've taken classes such as financial and managerial accounting, principles of marketing, economics, etc.
However, I have a very strong interest in statistics. Classes include 2 basic statistics classes (introductory to some more advanced material) and a stochastic modeling class that took things a bit further.

At this point I've convinced myself I should pursue a career as an actuary. Whether that is self-studying or doing more schooling so I may pass the tests (about 7 of them) to be certified. With some research it seems like the hours, pay, and type of work seem to be something I would enjoy.

That being said, I love baseball. I've played it all my life, coached a team one summer, and I plan on continuing both of these (none of that slow pitch crap) throughout my life even if it's just a simple recreational adult league. I would really love to be able to combine my passion for stats and math with a baseball office. I've done research and find minor league clubs combine long hours (16 hour days) with fairly little pay (less than an actuary with an insurance company for sure) and it's made me kinda sad. I would be content making less and working more, but not to the point that it consumes my time with family/time away from work.

This would be my ideal job:
-Use databases of all/any statistics (everything from batting average, to advanced sabermetrics) combined with player salaries/contracts and team budget limitations to make innovations in the way the club and (potentially) the organization evaluate the worth of a player in such a way that you assign a "worth per dollar" (ie "utility/$").
-Analyze statistics in such a way that I could potentially create my own statistics measuring players worth to be more efficient in determining the type of contract a player deserves (similar to how those that invented WAR did)
-Analyzing history to better project players' futures (ie determining the contract length)
-Finding creative solutions to expanding club budgets (I wouldn't mind playing a role in the marketing department, hiring coaches/trainers/scouts)
-Anything else I can do with numbers and statistics to solve problems

Sounds like a mouthful, and it sounds like I'm an aspiring GM to put it simply. However I know you can't just step in the door as a GM either, nor am I sure I necessarily aspire for EVERY duty a GM must handle.

What kind of jobs exist for someone like me, aspiring to work with numbers in a baseball setting?
4 days ago - 4 hours left to answer.
Additional Details
An interesting career choice I found while doing research would be to represent athletes (negotiate for higher contracts) using statistics slanted to make them look good, or vice versa (make the athletes look bad) to negotiate better value for the club signing the player
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Well.. If you pass all 7 of those actuary tests, I'm sure there's an office job available to you with almost any MLB team.

1) good luck passing all 7. But, even if you don't, not that big a deal.

2) you're young and working for a baseball team is a pretty in-demand job. If you pass a couple/few of those tests, you would be in a position to get an entry level job interview. If you get an interview, you can talk your way into an entry level job. If you get that entry level job, they'll let you work 50-55 hrs a week for about 30k. But, if you do that for a couple years and outperform your peers, you may get a promotion. Then you're well on your way to finding the job that suits you.

Pretty similar to a career path to any in-demand corporate job.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:12 pm

In regards to your second career choice question, most player reps have law degrees or they are jay-z. Not a particularly easy job to get your hands on. And, not a particularly enjoyable job unless you like working hundred hour weeks and making about 100 phone calls a day.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Re: Baseball front office jobs in stats, budgets, contracts,

Postby pvhawkeye » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:25 pm

Thanks for the reply- yeah I was told the same thing about being a player rep on the yahoo page, and it would seem I kinda forgot about the legal stuff that goes on with contracts :P but either way, that wouldn't be exactly up my alley. But yes, as long as I stay driven enough I will be trying to pass as many actuary exams as possible. I have adequate education background to pass the first already, and I will be brushing up on my stuff for the first exam to take sometime this summer so I can land an actuary internship (they require at least 1 passed, and that you are "studying" for more). The internships, I've heard, also allow you time/materials to study for more exams... and you can kind of "earn" your way into an entry level full time job by passing more. I would be happy working my way through the actuary career, especially if I found a cushy pay level... from there I might try the baseball thing- like you said I was hopeful having passed actuary exams would at least get me an interview as I'd stand out from those that just have BS's in business.
pvhawkeye
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)

Return to General Talk