What to do about "that" owner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What to do about "that" owner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to do about "that" owner?

Postby bigmck » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:31 pm

I agree with the others. The trades are fairly even and are not vetoable. Let things ride.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby murph3699 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 am

I swear some people get excited at the idea of making a deal, even if its bad for them. A buddy in my league is a crackhead when it comes to trades.
murph3699
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Thin.Blue.Line » Sat May 11, 2013 8:20 am

Trooper wrote:So I commish one league (12 team yahoo h2h) and it's a pretty competitive one with smart owners for the most part. It's fairly active, with 8 trades already (crazy compared to what I'm used to dealing with). However, we have one owner who isn't a very good trader. He's accepted three trades:

* Giving up Beltre for Yadier Molina (granted, he's a Cardinals fan and loves Molina so that explains this one)

* Giving up Kemp and Neil Walker for Adrian Gonzalez, Jim Henderson, and Ervin Santana (I'll take the blame for this one, since I was the one who negotiated the deal out with him and got Kemp in this deal)

* And finally, he just dealt Cespedes for Michael Young, Manny Machado, and Wade Miley. (also dropping Henderson in this deal which astonishes me since he just traded Kemp to me for him...)

His team isn't great since he missed the draft (an honest mistake, he wasn't too happy about that) so I don't want to read too much into it since he may have differing opinions of the players and may have a plan in mind. But I'm worried about him possibly getting taken advantage of too much. Should I just leave it? Or should I mention something to him? I know he knows his baseball, but I'm not sure how much that applies to fantasy, and I'm concerned about competitive balance being upset possibly...

So thanks for reading the long post and thanks for any advice!

***PS--I should add, I have a policy as commissioner of approving any and all trades. I don't believe in league vetoes and will only veto if there are signs of collusion (or if the trade is unbalanced to the extent that it's simply unjustifiable--this isn't easy to achieve since I'm pretty liberal about allowing deals but it could happen). So I won't be adding a league veto program or anything (if anyone has a legitimate issue with a deal, they just post on the message board and then I look into it further. And if it's one of my deals that gets vetoed, then I recuse myself and let another league member handle this.)

Well... It has been a few weeks since this post went up and I have to say that "THAT OWNER" knew what the hell he was doing. Machado, Miley, Santana, and Molina are all beasts. Kemp is an absolute joke so far and Gonzalez and Cespedes spend more time in a hospital bed than a dugout. I think someone owes an apology to "THAT OWNER", dude did work.
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby
Thin.Blue.Line
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Quackman » Mon May 13, 2013 1:58 am

seems like hes trying to deepen his team with the 2nd and 3rd trade. The Cespedes trade is fine when you consider Machado's value right now. He doesnt seem to be slowing down. Its obv a great trade high for the Machado owner but a fine trade. Kemp same thing, im staying so far away from kemp id never criticize someone selling low on him. I think the trades are fine.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Trooper » Mon May 13, 2013 3:03 am

Thanks all.
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Bat Boy 42 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:20 pm

Aside from the Beltre trade the others one are defensible. And you could even concoct an argument for the Beltre/Molina trade if an owners is desperate enough for a catcher or if it is a 2 catcher league.
Bat Boy 42
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wbg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:59 am

Maybe you should do something about 'THAT' owner who gave away Adrian gonzalez and ervine Santana for matt kemp?
wbg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby RedTiger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 am

haha so true. Can we sticky this post.

Don't veto trades because you THINK they will be unfair because you don't have all the answers. If you do, why are you playing? You and everyone else must know YOU are going to win. Maybe if you win 3+ years in a row you can veto a trade.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner