What to do about "that" owner? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

What to do about "that" owner?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do about "that" owner?

Postby Trooper » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:57 pm

So I commish one league (12 team yahoo h2h) and it's a pretty competitive one with smart owners for the most part. It's fairly active, with 8 trades already (crazy compared to what I'm used to dealing with). However, we have one owner who isn't a very good trader. He's accepted three trades:

* Giving up Beltre for Yadier Molina (granted, he's a Cardinals fan and loves Molina so that explains this one)

* Giving up Kemp and Neil Walker for Adrian Gonzalez, Jim Henderson, and Ervin Santana (I'll take the blame for this one, since I was the one who negotiated the deal out with him and got Kemp in this deal)

* And finally, he just dealt Cespedes for Michael Young, Manny Machado, and Wade Miley. (also dropping Henderson in this deal which astonishes me since he just traded Kemp to me for him...)

His team isn't great since he missed the draft (an honest mistake, he wasn't too happy about that) so I don't want to read too much into it since he may have differing opinions of the players and may have a plan in mind. But I'm worried about him possibly getting taken advantage of too much. Should I just leave it? Or should I mention something to him? I know he knows his baseball, but I'm not sure how much that applies to fantasy, and I'm concerned about competitive balance being upset possibly...

So thanks for reading the long post and thanks for any advice!

***PS--I should add, I have a policy as commissioner of approving any and all trades. I don't believe in league vetoes and will only veto if there are signs of collusion (or if the trade is unbalanced to the extent that it's simply unjustifiable--this isn't easy to achieve since I'm pretty liberal about allowing deals but it could happen). So I won't be adding a league veto program or anything (if anyone has a legitimate issue with a deal, they just post on the message board and then I look into it further. And if it's one of my deals that gets vetoed, then I recuse myself and let another league member handle this.)
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do about "that" owner?

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 am

Trooper wrote:
* Giving up Kemp and Neil Walker for Adrian Gonzalez, Jim Henderson, and Ervin Santana (I'll take the blame for this one, since I was the one who negotiated the deal out with him and got Kemp in this deal)

Don't throw stones when you're in a glass house. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Trooper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 am

Well to be fair I hadn't yet realized the extent of it. The first one could be defended as simply a bad call due to fandom. By the third one though, that's when I realized, OK maybe we have an issue...

And to be fair, Kemp is a buy low right now because there are legit concerns about his shoulder. I'm optimistic, but look at Fangraphs, there is a chance it lingers and he struggles like Gonzalez did last year after his shoulder surgery.
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 am

Well then one questionable move out of 3 isn't so bad then. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Trooper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 am

You're hardly answering my actual question though.
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:48 am

Trooper wrote:You're hardly answering my actual question though.

By you own admission there doesn't seem to be an issue, as you pointed out only 1 of the trades looks to be questionable and as you stated your values don't always equal anothers values. I've missed a draft before and had to trade 1 stud for 3 decent players just to fill my roster so I don't even see the issue with the third move. I don't think you have a problem.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby Trooper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:31 pm

True but isn't the Cespedes deal kind of a steal?
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ayebatter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 pm

Trooper wrote:True but isn't the Cespedes deal kind of a steal?

Without considering anything else but the trade itself yes, but taking into consideration a lot of Cespedes value is tied to SBs and you're in a h2h league I think his value is somewhat diminished .
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

Postby mkultra » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:51 am

If those trades are the worst thing happening in your league, count your blessings and move on. I think he's being short-sighted about the slow starts for some of his guys, but it's not your job to micromanage other players. The best thing to do for this guy is let him see how Beltre, Kemp, and Cespedes wind up at the end of the year. Who knows, some of those trades may wind up working out in his favor.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby Trooper » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:54 am

You do bring up an excellent point. I'll let it be and see how these things work out.
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner