Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I don't know if the Starks are out of the equation. There's still some interesting parts of that family that could cause some havoc. Arya still has an assasination to use, right? We haven't seen that guy in awhile but that could be interesting. I could see one or both of Jon and Bran forming some kind of rebel force to avenge the Starks. Sansa still is right in the middle of the Lannister realm, with men in the city trying to gain power, she could become interesting as well. To me, they took out the Starks who never really had a chance, they had an army with a leader in Rob who didn't have what it took, and it was inevitable to me that they would go down at some point... you knew Robb was going to make a fatal mistake, the only thing I didn't see was that it was a mistake he already made that did him in. Didn't see the red wedding coming at all. But, the rest of the displaced Starks have real potential to at least shake up the power structure that exists right now, and I could still see one of them gaining the throne. Not sure how, but they are so relevant to the story that it feels like one of them has a bright future.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:19 pm

j24jags wrote:As a fan of the show who never read the book, I was definitely shocked in this episode. I wasn't shocked that Rob died, just the way it happened. I don't think the punishment fit the crime (backing out of an agreed-upon marriage shouldn't cost you, your mother, wife & unborn child their lives). It just goes to show that the show is more about telling a story of the world rather than telling the Stark's story. I haven't read the books, but I assume it is set up similarly. To me, that's what makes this a great show. They pulled off the ultimate twist by presenting a group of protagonists, the Starks (beginning with Ned, then Rob), then moving on in one scene. We should have learned from Ned's beheading in season 1, but by avoiding killing off other major characters this year we viewers let our guard down. We got used to the status quo and the writers quickly reminded us to stay on our toes. I am intrigued about the future of the show. I think Danerys & Arya are the two most interesting characters to fill the "protagonist void." I also am looking forward to the Tyrion-Sansa relationship, Margaery/Melissandre, John Snow etc. What makes the show great is so many developed characters...That turned from a coherent thought to a ramble very quickly :-b

Arya is a thousand times more badass in the books. She is in my top 2 of favorite characters. I would have stopped reading had I believed she died at Red Wedding. I cheated though, I checked the table of contents and saw that there were more Arya chapters later in the book. :-°
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 pm

jfg wrote:I don't know if the Starks are out of the equation. There's still some interesting parts of that family that could cause some havoc. Arya still has an assasination to use, right? We haven't seen that guy in awhile but that could be interesting. I could see one or both of Jon and Bran forming some kind of rebel force to avenge the Starks. Sansa still is right in the middle of the Lannister realm, with men in the city trying to gain power, she could become interesting as well. To me, they took out the Starks who never really had a chance, they had an army with a leader in Rob who didn't have what it took, and it was inevitable to me that they would go down at some point... you knew Robb was going to make a fatal mistake, the only thing I didn't see was that it was a mistake he already made that did him in. Didn't see the red wedding coming at all. But, the rest of the displaced Starks have real potential to at least shake up the power structure that exists right now, and I could still see one of them gaining the throne. Not sure how, but they are so relevant to the story that it feels like one of them has a bright future.

Arya used up all her three wishes on nobodies. The last one being the guard so she could escape Harrenhall.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby jfg » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:34 pm

Oh, for some reason I thought she had used 2. That's too bad, I've been looking forward for her to play her last card.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 84)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:12 pm

As someone who didn't read the books I am wondering my Rob is so far south anyway? He formed the army to rescue his father and after Ned is killed is crowned king of the North. Why didn't he just pack it up and head home. Was it his sisters? Or revenge?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:47 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:As someone who didn't read the books I am wondering my Rob is so far south anyway? He formed the army to rescue his father and after Ned is killed is crowned king of the North. Why didn't he just pack it up and head home. Was it his sisters? Or revenge?

Robb was headed south to rescue Ned and his sisters. Also, the Lannisters were invading the Riverlands, which of course is Tully land.

In the books, Robb was going to cut his losses and reclaim the North from the ironmen after winning back the favor of the Freys. TV Robb was asking for a suicide mission to attack Casterly Rock directly.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:08 am

Haven't read the books but if I had to guess at this point I think Dany and Arya are just going to start crushing things at some point. I imagine Arya ends back up with the faceless guy now that both her parents are dead and trains to be an assassin. Dany is just gonna come in with dragons and ruin shit. Obviously this just means that they'll both die some horrible death at some point, but I just have a feeling that it's heading in that direction.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:11 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Haven't read the books but if I had to guess at this point I think Dany and Arya are just going to start crushing things at some point. I imagine Arya ends back up with the faceless guy now that both her parents are dead and trains to be an assassin. Dany is just gonna come in with dragons and ruin shit. Obviously this just means that they'll both die some horrible death at some point, but I just have a feeling that it's heading in that direction.

dude, winter is coming.
You guys are concentrating too much on politics when you've been told that winter is coming.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Haven't read the books but if I had to guess at this point I think Dany and Arya are just going to start crushing things at some point. I imagine Arya ends back up with the faceless guy now that both her parents are dead and trains to be an assassin. Dany is just gonna come in with dragons and ruin shit. Obviously this just means that they'll both die some horrible death at some point, but I just have a feeling that it's heading in that direction.

dude, winter is coming.
You guys are concentrating too much on politics when you've been told that winter is coming.

don't spoil bro
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Reek, Reek, it rhymes with weak. That's a bit harsh, but the season finale was just OK. There were many ways this finale could have gone. In the end, there was too much material to cram in.

I thought Dany's conquest of Yunkai didn't belong in The Rains of Castamere episode last week. It was better served in the finale to be capped off with the cheesy "Mhysa" scene (which I didn't really care for in the books either). Jon/Ygritte should have had more screen time last week, conversely, and their storyline didn't end up well for the season IMO.

I'm not that fond of Stannis straying away from Book Stannis. This episode in particular just put him on the level of Roose Bolton instead. Still, the producers get the Dragonstone scenes right and it's good to see Davos getting plenty of screen time.

Asha/Yara Greyjoy heading for the Dreadfort to rescue Theon was a cool moment. The Ramsay reveal worked better for the TV show's direction. I also liked Bran telling the Rat Cook of the Nightfort story and the importance of guest right with respect to the Red Wedding.

All in all, I'm glad two things didn't happen and they'll be saved for next season. On the other hand, I'm disappointed one or two other things didn't happen this season, which would have been more fitting.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk