Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 21, 2013 9:00 am

so is the red wedding going to be something with Melisandre or Sansa losing her maidenhead?

thank you, don't forget to tip your waiter

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 pm

I'm a sick puppy for watching the encore of the Red Wedding episode right now.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:41 am

One of my students spoiled me that Rob died a few weeks ago. Just walked into my class and blurted it out, I didn't want to believe it :,-( . Told him if he ever spoiled me again I might misplace some of his work.

Man that episode.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:22 am

had a feeling that was going to happen :,-(

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 pm

That was rough.

Anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to read or watch first? I'm about halfway through book 1 right now and I like being surprised by the show each week. But after last night's episode and knowing it will soon be a year until season 4, I am wondering if I should just go ahead and read them all. I'm worried that it will spoil the show for me but I've seen many people say reading first gives you a greater appreciation for the show as well. Thoughts?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Re: Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:59 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:That was rough.

Anyone have an opinion on whether it's better to read or watch first? I'm about halfway through book 1 right now and I like being surprised by the show each week. But after last night's episode and knowing it will soon be a year until season 4, I am wondering if I should just go ahead and read them all. I'm worried that it will spoil the show for me but I've seen many people say reading first gives you a greater appreciation for the show as well. Thoughts?

I would read the books but like typical book readers, you'll probably be nitpicking a lot if you develop a fierce love for the books.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:01 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:That was rough.

It's worth the expense of spoiling the show to read the books, especially if you like surprises. In the books, he devilishly leads you to believe that Arya dies at the Red Wedding and makes you sweat it out before she reappears many chapters later.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm

I would read the books but like typical book readers, you'll probably be nitpicking a lot if you develop a fierce love for the books.

Don't forget becoming a book snob and looking down on non-book readers with disdain. :-b
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm

I actually went to Amazon to look into buying the books and reading them all before the next season started. And then I realized that each book was like 1,000 pages.

It's like reading Atlas Shrugged 5 times. No thanks. May be great, but I just can't dedicate that amount of time. I'll just watch the show. Seems like they are being pretty literal to the books anyway.

I foolishly spoiled myself on Wikipedia regarding the rest of this season (basically the Red Wedding) a few weeks ago. I really wish I'd held out.

Reactions from last night (salty language) http://youtu.be/78juOpTM3tE
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:27 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:I actually went to Amazon to look into buying the books and reading them all before the next season started. And then I realized that each book was like 1,000 pages.

It's like reading Atlas Shrugged 5 times. No thanks. May be great, but I just can't dedicate that amount of time. I'll just watch the show. Seems like they are being pretty literal to the books anyway.

I foolishly spoiled myself on Wikipedia regarding the rest of this season (basically the Red Wedding) a few weeks ago. I really wish I'd held out.

I think it's OK to skip Book 1 but of course it's advised to read it anyway.

The series deviates sharply in Season 2 from Book 2, A Clash of Kings. Truth be told, most of the book is buildup to the fantastic final third of the book. Book 3, A Storm of Swords, is outstanding from cover to cover. It's miles better than the TV adaptation.

Books 4 and 5 aren't as good as the first three books but I suppose they're worth reading in preparation for the final two books.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk