Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 pm

mweir145 wrote:Stannis stands out as a character on this show in that there's very little that's likable about him at all and yet he's not exactly a bad guy. He has no real heroic qualities and does literally everything out of a sense of duty. And while his single-minded obsession with taking the throne has defined him so far, he's not immoral/corrupt at all and does at least seem to try to make an effort with his family (as difficult a task as that is for him). It will be interesting to see where his story goes now, as he is somewhat removed from the main conflict after losing the Battle of Blackwater.

Stannis doesn't have an obsession with taking the throne. He served Robert even though he was a poor king and would have served Joffrey too if he and Jon Arryn hadn't discovered the truth about him. Stannis wants the throne now because he believes that it is legally and rightfully his. He also believes that he is the best for the job. Stannis isn't obsessing about the throne. He is all about duty and service and that means him being king. The worst offense for him in the book was Renly trying to take the throne when his older brother had a better claim.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:15 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Stannis stands out as a character on this show in that there's very little that's likable about him at all and yet he's not exactly a bad guy. He has no real heroic qualities and does literally everything out of a sense of duty. And while his single-minded obsession with taking the throne has defined him so far, he's not immoral/corrupt at all and does at least seem to try to make an effort with his family (as difficult a task as that is for him). It will be interesting to see where his story goes now, as he is somewhat removed from the main conflict after losing the Battle of Blackwater.

Stannis doesn't have an obsession with taking the throne. He served Robert even though he was a poor king and would have served Joffrey too if he and Jon Arryn hadn't discovered the truth about him. Stannis wants the throne now because he believes that it is legally and rightfully his. He also believes that he is the best for the job. Stannis isn't obsessing about the throne. He is all about duty and service and that means him being king. The worst offense for him in the book was Renly trying to take the throne when his older brother had a better claim.

He only mentions his claim to the Iron Throne in like half his lines. Seems kind of obsessive on that topic to me (although much of it does seem to be out of that sense of duty). Of course, you would know better than me how he's portrayed in the books, but the TV show isn't exactly the same as the books.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby jfg » Sat May 11, 2013 8:02 pm

I would agree that the show is portraying him as obsessed with the throne as they are with anybody else after it. Maybe they've developed Stannis in the books, and maybe they have a plan in the show, but right now he's a pretty shallow character in the show. We know he wants the throne and it seems that he's a puppet to Melisandra. Even the Battle of Blackwater was all about Tyrion... Stannis' role in the show was that he lost. Not much more than that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby bleach168 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:06 pm

"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 13, 2013 2:05 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Stannis is a much more sympathetic character in the books.

I would think most would find Stannis on first impression to be a whiny character. He becomes more relatable and gradually likable because he's the scrappy underdog with an iron-clad sense of justice and determination. The best non-POV character IMO.

jfg wrote:I would agree that the show is portraying him as obsessed with the throne as they are with anybody else after it. Maybe they've developed Stannis in the books, and maybe they have a plan in the show, but right now he's a pretty shallow character in the show. We know he wants the throne and it seems that he's a puppet to Melisandra. Even the Battle of Blackwater was all about Tyrion... Stannis' role in the show was that he lost. Not much more than that.

It sort of depends on who you talk to. Some find Stannis to be refreshingly human on the show while some who love book Stannis with a passion don't like Stannis being anything other than book Stannis. As open as I am to the TV version, I'm on the side of the latter.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:56 am

This episode will probably be most remembered for the ending and Jaime's redemption as a character. Jumping into the bear pit to save Brienne was the first major selfless thing he's done on the show. Getting the upper hand on Locke and walking off to that rendition of the Lannister song was particularly awesome. He was one of my favorites before the episode and is even more so now.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 14, 2013 4:57 am

Yeah, I've seen these before. Stannis comes off as pretty badass in them. I particularly like the ending to this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVJQW1Ugvys
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby kimchi_chigae » Thu May 16, 2013 2:31 am

Is it Sunday yet?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 am

kimchi_chigae wrote:Is it Sunday yet?

Unfortunately, we'll have to wait two weeks for the next episode.

Pretty good episode. I'm glad it was concentrated on 3 or 4 major storylines instead of the scatterbrained pace this season has been on. There was a much needed focus placed back on Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre. The Tyrion/Sansa marriage was as awkward as you'd think it would be. We see the first appearance of Daario Nahaaris and so far, he's got the character down pat.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 20, 2013 8:39 pm

IMO, this show is three storylines. A) Daenerys and her dragons. B) the wall and what is on the other side of it. C) the battle to gain power at kings landing.

I also assume that storylines A&C will merge at some point when Daenerys has decided that she is ready to slaughter anyone that stands in her way.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 169)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk