Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 am

bleach168 wrote:Episode 6. Worst episode ever.

Bit of a mid-season plot mover, I'd say. That episode wasn't quite as thrilling as a few of the past few, but good all the same. I especially liked the ending with Jon Snow and Ygritte on the top of the wall, which was unusually uplifting for this show.

They again showed Littlefinger (and his quest for power at the expense of everything/everyone) in a worse light than Varys in the end there as well.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 am

jfg wrote:- I feel like I can grasp the main plot just fine and I know the names, but there are a lot of characters getting screen time right now that I don't know the name of and don't really completely know how they fit into the story. The dude torturing Greyjoy for example. Don't really know who he is or if I'm supposed to.

I haven't read the books (well...I did read the first book after S1 but found the television show superior so I stopped), but you're not supposed to at this point. It's setting up to be some kind of big reveal, it seems.

Still though, the storylines of the big three are mostly easy to figure out, but with so many characters, it's better to just watch and let things click as they click. Either that or use the internet to figure things out while trying to avoid spoilers. I don't think they made a mistake by not leaving characters out though, but it does get overwhelming for those who haven't read the books.

When you say Big 3, do you mean Tyrion/Jon Snow/Daenerys? Because that's who I would describe as the central main characters of this show at this point, although there are like 20+ other characters among the main cast. I could see including Arya in there as well.

It seems if you go by episode count, it's actually Tyrion and Cersei first (25), followed by Arya/Catelyn (23) and Jon Snow/Daenerys/Sansa (21).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

mweir145 wrote:When you say Big 3, do you mean Tyrion/Jon Snow/Daenerys? Because that's who I would describe as the central main characters of this show at this point, although there are like 20+ other characters among the main cast. I could see including Arya in there as well.

It seems if you go by episode count, it's actually Tyrion and Cersei first (25), followed by Arya/Catelyn (23) and Jon Snow/Daenerys/Sansa (21).

I would consider there to be at least 4 main storylines right now, more depending on how far you want to break down what you consider to be main stories.

The political games of the Iron Throne that center mainly around Kings Landing and the Lannisters but includes Stannis and Ayra/Gendry.

The King of the North that centers around Winterfell and Robb Stark but includes Theon, Bran, and Jaime Lannister.

The Winter is Coming storyline that centers around the Wall and Jon Snow along with the White Walkers and Samwell.

And Mother of Dragons that is the least intertwined of the storylines that centers around Daenerys.

I could see combining the first two into one main storyline I guess but for the most part they don't mesh all that well at the moment, at least until the war picks up again.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

I'm in the middle of reading Book 2 and caught up on the TV show. The only thing about introducing new characters is that I didn't know if I was supposed to know them already or not. When they showed Joff with his crossbow and a victim tied up, I at first thought it may have been Margaery (through some manipulation of Cersei who is clearly not a fan). I had to go online to figure out it was Ros.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Tavish » Tue May 07, 2013 5:15 pm

bigken117 wrote:When they showed Joff with his crossbow and a victim tied up, I at first thought it may have been Margaery (through some manipulation of Cersei who is clearly not a fan). I had to go online to figure out it was Ros.

Littlefinger insinuated to Varys that he had dealt with Ros's betrayal by giving her to Joffrey.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby jfg » Thu May 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Tavish wrote:
mweir145 wrote:When you say Big 3, do you mean Tyrion/Jon Snow/Daenerys? Because that's who I would describe as the central main characters of this show at this point, although there are like 20+ other characters among the main cast. I could see including Arya in there as well.

I would consider there to be at least 4 main storylines right now, more depending on how far you want to break down what you consider to be main stories.

The political games of the Iron Throne that center mainly around Kings Landing and the Lannisters but includes Stannis and Ayra/Gendry.

The King of the North that centers around Winterfell and Robb Stark but includes Theon, Bran, and Jaime Lannister.

The Winter is Coming storyline that centers around the Wall and Jon Snow along with the White Walkers and Samwell.

And Mother of Dragons that is the least intertwined of the storylines that centers around Daenerys.

I could see combining the first two into one main storyline I guess but for the most part they don't mesh all that well at the moment, at least until the war picks up again.

Isn't Daenerys after the Iron Throne as well? When I say big three, I mean families. Lannister, Stark and Daenerys and her army. Those families are easy to follow, probably because they've been given the most screentime and when they are shown, they are grouped together for the most part. It's the characters that intertwine with their stories that are difficult to follow. Not difficult I guess, but not easy either. The Wire had a lot of characters and it was much easier to know who fit where in the plot. I would say the hardest family to figure out is the Baratheons. I don't feel that story has been explained enough... it felt like they introduced them, developed this complicated plot and then stopped caring to divulge any more information.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 10, 2013 12:47 am

jfg wrote:I would say the hardest family to figure out is the Baratheons. I don't feel that story has been explained enough... it felt like they introduced them, developed this complicated plot and then stopped caring to divulge any more information.

Probably because the Baratheon arc is focused on Stannis, who's still reeling from the aftermath of Blackwater and is expressing actual human feelings. The Stannis of old was a joyless man who saw duty as an end in and of itself, and he still is. His family relations show how awkward he is with them because of his stubborn single-mindedness. Pretty straightforward plot for him thus far, and while his storyline seems orthogonal to that of the main storylines, you figure that would change.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 454)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 10, 2013 9:57 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
jfg wrote:I would say the hardest family to figure out is the Baratheons. I don't feel that story has been explained enough... it felt like they introduced them, developed this complicated plot and then stopped caring to divulge any more information.

Probably because the Baratheon arc is focused on Stannis, who's still reeling from the aftermath of Blackwater and is expressing actual human feelings. The Stannis of old was a joyless man who saw duty as an end in and of itself, and he still is. His family relations show how awkward he is with them because of his stubborn single-mindedness. Pretty straightforward plot for him thus far, and while his storyline seems orthogonal to that of the main storylines, you figure that would change.

Stannis is a much more sympathetic character in the books. Loveless marriage. Does his duty for his family and gets no respect or thanks. Living on a barren rock. Disabled daughter. The personification of his misery is Patches and they have taken him out of the show. Fat disgusting clown who jingles every time he takes a step. You know that curmudgeon Stannis just wants to strangle him but its his daughters only friend. Poor dude.

You can't put all the characters in the show so the characters they do have are necessarily shallower.

Stannis is old school. Old politics old issues. So it's natural that he finds his place north of the wall. It comes down to old vs new and I can see Stannis allying with Danys in the future.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Mookie4ever wrote: It comes down to old vs new and I can see Stannis allying with Danys in the future.

Mark my words, Melissandra will be the doom of Stannis.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby mweir145 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Stannis stands out as a character on this show in that there's very little that's likable about him at all and yet he's not exactly a bad guy. He has no real heroic qualities and does literally everything out of a sense of duty. And while his single-minded obsession with taking the throne has defined him so far, he's not immoral/corrupt at all and does at least seem to try to make an effort with his family (as difficult a task as that is for him). It will be interesting to see where his story goes now, as he is somewhat removed from the main conflict after losing the Battle of Blackwater.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk