Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

They have to talk clearer on this show. There is too much whispering going on. Howard Stern pointed it out and I have to agree.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:I'd like Jaime a hell of a lot if he hadn't banged his sister and pushed Bran off that tower. He's been pretty awesome this season.

Yeah, pushing a helpless child out a window is a bit of a point against him. But he did that more out of love for Cersei, I think, and he's also changed quite a bit since then.

The interesting thing about Jaime is he's always been known as this amazing swordsman in Westeros, but in having his sword hand cut off, he's arguably lost the most distinctive thing about him. His past identity is gone (I think he mentioned something like "I was that hand" when talking to Brienne a few episodes back) and he's going to have to form a completely new one now. Perhaps he'll become a better person for it.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 am

bleach168 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Robb reminded me of his father when he executed Karstark for killing the Lannister children. Pretty intense scene. Rather than being practical and keeping his army intact as everyone around him wanted him to, he decided to enact a death sentence for Karstark's treason. Robb stuck with honor and justice there, but it may cost him any real shot of winning the war without the Frey's help.

I believe they used the same chilling music as the Theon beheading Rodrick Cassel scene.

And when Theon revealed the charred remains of the children he had killed, I think, too.

This is the track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWIsLmdfBSk
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:47 am

Episode 6. Worst episode ever.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon May 06, 2013 10:43 am

bleach168 wrote:Episode 6. Worst episode ever.

It wasn't great. They are straying from the book a lot.
Climbing the wall was very cool though.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 283)

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Question to people who haven't read the books, are there too many new characters?

We have,

Jojen
Meera
Mance
Orell
Tormund
Thoros
Anguy
Beric
Selyse
Shireen
Roose
"The Bastard"
The Blackfish
Edmure
Locke
Lady Olenna
Missandei
Grey Worm

Am I missing anyone?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Tavish » Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm

bleach168 wrote:Question to people who haven't read the books, are there too many new characters?

I don't think so, at least it isn't any more of a problem than it has been in previous seasons. The books face that same problem constantly where there are so many characters (I think the books are even tougher to follow at times). You really can't try to track them all and just focus on ones that are playing active roles in the storyline. Even then it can be tough to track the short lived major characters when there are 10 storylines going at once.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby jfg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:24 pm

I haven't read the books, and I was lost a couple times last episode.

- I feel like I can grasp the main plot just fine and I know the names, but there are a lot of characters getting screen time right now that I don't know the name of and don't really completely know how they fit into the story. The dude torturing Greyjoy for example. Don't really know who he is or if I'm supposed to.

-The characters who spend time in groups are a little easier to tell apart. Jon Snow's group for example is pretty easy to remember. But even so, I didn't really know what part the guy Rob Stark beheaded played in the story. I understand why it was important for their camp, but not sure who they were in the first place or if I ever saw them.

- I was really confused at the end when Varys and Littlefinger were talking.... are we aware of the lies they are speaking about? It really felt like I should have totally understood since they were cutting to different characters, but if there was some kind of reveal, I missed it.

Still though, the storylines of the big three are mostly easy to figure out, but with so many characters, it's better to just watch and let things click as they click. Either that or use the internet to figure things out while trying to avoid spoilers. I don't think they made a mistake by not leaving characters out though, but it does get overwhelming for those who haven't read the books.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 06, 2013 7:33 pm

I haven't been overwhelmed but I'm pretty good at recognizing faces so even if I forget names once in awhile it hasn't been too hard to follow.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby jfg » Mon May 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:They have to talk clearer on this show. There is too much whispering going on. Howard Stern pointed it out and I have to agree.

I don't know if I've ever seen a movie or series in the epic genre that doesn't have the same issue. The dynamic range is just ridiculous for epics, I don't know why anybody believes it's a good thing. Dynamic range is awesome when it's mixed right, but it upsets me when these movies and shows get great reviews for their audio, but it really only works in a theater setting where you can actually blast a soundtrack.... and even then most of the time it just comes off as jarring rather than exciting.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk