Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:55 am

For pure entertainment, the Battle of Castle Black (erm, the first part) was terrific. That ending was really disappointing; it really should have been resolved with this episode. I'm hoping the payoff will be just as rewarding as the book.

I have a feeling the season finale will either be one giant cluster**** or the greatest season finale you'll ever see.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:57 am

Hmmm... on second thought, I'm less disappointed by that ending. Knowing what happens, the grand resolution deserves attention and buildup. I wish it had an additional 10-15 minutes though.

Getting back to the battle, I'm fine with Grenn taking the place of Donal Noye holding the gate against one of the giants (Mag the Mighty?). I was shocked that Pyp was killed by Ygritte. Alliser Thorne is a more likable sod than he was in the book. Glad to see he and Tormund are still alive (and Dolorous Edd too). This was Jon Snow's episode to shine, as he's kind of been off in the background.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:09 am

I love this series, but the episode I watched tonight was by far the worst I've seen.
A whole episode CGI-fest battle in the dark. Did Michael Bay all of a sudden take over? Horrible
And does anyone care about that fat guy and the incest-baby?

I enjoyed the squash game because not a lot of tv/movies have consequences for gloating when you haven't won

Favourite character: Dad Lannister
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 am

AussieDodger wrote:I love this series, but the episode I watched tonight was by far the worst I've seen.

Same. It was just an hour long fight scene. Seems like they wasted half the episode on commander a-hole speeches and repeatedly firing arrows off the wall. With only two episodes left I thought we would see some thing move forward. Now it seems like they are going to try and jam a lot into that last hour.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:10 pm

The battle was entertaining for what it was. The cinematography was fantastic and the special effects were well done for the most part. It doesn't tell as good of a story as Blackwater did, though.

The flaws and inconsistencies are what get me the most. There seems to be more of the Night's Watch than thought originally. I don't buy in to the thought of the initial assault being about Mance testing the Wall's defenses. The battle is no more than a siege plus some skirmishes as the Wildlings try to breach the gate.

Also, I'm unsure as to why two giants should be sacrificed. Tactically, that doesn't make much sense, as with manpower, mammoths, and giants they should be able to breach the gate. No arrows or oil barrels were rained down on them from above either.

Why is it also that Oberyn gets his teeth splintered by Gregor's fist and Jon's face hitting the anvil from a Thenn not result in Jon having at least a shattered cheek? Jon plans on assassinating Mance, with no weapon, let alone no Longclaw. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:57 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:For what it's worth, missandei is not supposed to be anything. There is no rule that says the show has to mirror the book.

TV Missandei is supposed to be a good character. The jury is still out...
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:23 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:The battle was entertaining for what it was. The cinematography was fantastic and the special effects were well done for the most part. It doesn't tell as good of a story as Blackwater did, though.

It was pretty to look at, but so is a screensaver. They could have condensed it down to 10 minutes or less.
They could have even had a raven arrive at King's Landing to report the attack and not show it at all.

The Artful Dodger wrote:The flaws and inconsistencies are what get me the most. There seems to be more of the Night's Watch than thought originally.

They made a big deal about there being 102, that battle was so long I think we saw everybody.

The Artful Dodger wrote:Jon plans on assassinating Mance, with no weapon, let alone no Longclaw. :-b

That is most likely his uncle right? He disappeared ages ago and they haven't revisited it.

If I was writing it I'd have the Lannisters make a deal with the mother of dragons and sandwich the shizzle out of that Stannis turd when he attacks
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm

You guys are insane. This episode was great. The Battle of Helms Deep for the small screen. The build up and atmosphere were terrific.

I love not jumping around to five differnt story lines. I wish they would stick with one story per episode.

The finale is going to be epic. Unfortunately it's going to be at both the wall and kings landing.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:38 am

Mookie4ever wrote:You guys are insane. This episode was great.

After reading some reviews yesterday I came to the conclusion that is you like action movies and/or cinematography then you loved it. I've never found the story at the wall all that interesting and while the battle looked awesome I wish it moved the story more. Maybe I'm just spoiled too cause the last few episodes have been great and this one didn't measure up to me.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:15 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:You guys are insane. This episode was great.

After reading some reviews yesterday I came to the conclusion that is you like action movies and/or cinematography then you loved it. I've never found the story at the wall all that interesting and while the battle looked awesome I wish it moved the story more. Maybe I'm just spoiled too cause the last few episodes have been great and this one didn't measure up to me.

The action wasn't that great. It was more the atmosphere, tension and anticipation of conflict. And by conflict I'm not talking about fighting.

I disagree that this episode didn't move the story along. The two pervasive themes in the series are: the three headed dragon and "winter is coming". This moved along one of these story lines along considerably, or at least set it up to move along. The other storyline is picking up steam and kings landing is arguably just filler or a violent soap opera.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk