Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:16 pm

Isn't it weird that I can re-watch Red Wedding without getting the feels but can't muster any strength to watch Oberyn's duel with Gregor a second time? :-b Everything about his death on screen was so traumatizing.

Someone made a comic on the duel last year, which feels more tame (and oddly relieving) in comparison.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 676)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Isn't it weird that I can re-watch Red Wedding without getting the feels but can't muster any strength to watch Oberyn's duel with Gregor a second time? :-b Everything about his death on screen was so traumatizing.

Someone made a comic on the duel last year, which feels more tame (and oddly relieving) in comparison.

My wife has a thing about eyes and I had a friend warn me not to let her watch that part. She left the room and the plan was for me to watch the scene (not knowing exactly what was going to happen), and then watch it again with her but censor it. It was incredibly hard for me to sit through it the second time, knowing what was going to happen. Man that sucked.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:52 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Isn't it weird that I can re-watch Red Wedding without getting the feels but can't muster any strength to watch Oberyn's duel with Gregor a second time? :-b Everything about his death on screen was so traumatizing.

My wife has a thing about eyes and I had a friend warn me not to let her watch that part. She left the room and the plan was for me to watch the scene (not knowing exactly what was going to happen), and then watch it again with her but censor it. It was incredibly hard for me to sit through it the second time, knowing what was going to happen. Man that sucked.

The worst thing for me was Oberyn's wailing, which was what I wasn't anticipating. In the book, I presumed he was knocked out cold before Gregor crushes his head. Then, the crunch and the sight of it all. So, so awful.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:27 am

That was an awesome episode. Been looking forward to that for several seasons. Not only the duel but the incredibly beautiful Missande gets naked and Arya laughs her head off at the Hound. That was a good scene. I was expecting him to either backhand her or to walk away and leave her at the gates.

Getting even more creeped out by littlefinger. Dinklage better win some awards for this season. Can't wait to see him in the finale. Going to be even better than this episode.

Btw. If you are squeamish about the sounds of dying you may want to skip the next episode and the Mountain's eventual demise.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:13 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:That was an awesome episode. Been looking forward to that for several seasons. Not only the duel but the incredibly beautiful Missande gets naked and Arya laughs her head off at the Hound. That was a good scene. I was expecting him to either backhand her or to walk away and leave her at the gates.

Getting even more creeped out by littlefinger. Dinklage better win some awards for this season. Can't wait to see him in the finale. Going to be even better than this episode.

Btw. If you are squeamish about the sounds of dying you may want to skip the next episode and the Mountain's eventual demise.

Spoiler alert, mookie. Spoiler alert.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:45 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:That was an awesome episode. Been looking forward to that for several seasons. Not only the duel but the incredibly beautiful Missande gets naked and Arya laughs her head off at the Hound. That was a good scene. I was expecting him to either backhand her or to walk away and leave her at the gates.

Well, you'd think most people wouldn't survive being impaled in the stomach, even the Mountain. Then, there's the matter of this:

The Red Viper does have a reputation for fighting with poisoned blades. In the TV series, Tywin even noted Oberyn's knowledge of poisons, while investigating Joffrey's death but eventually eliminated him as a suspect.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:32 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:

oops sorry. Thought it was pretty obvious though.

but look - everybody's still friends

This story is exceptional for introducing kick ass characters and quickly killing them off before you get tired of them. Living by the addage that it's better to burn out than fade away (cough Jack Bauer, Rick Grimes cough). Also you always got the feeling that the Hound would get his moment with his brother in a climactic exchange but Martin doesn't work for Disney so its never going to happen.

AD, could you find a more phallic picture? Oil your shaft much?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Since I have some time to kill, quick thoughts on the show so far,

Oberyn vs. The Mountain: The fight was great. The buildup was very good. Pablo Pascal was fantastic. Great job HBO. When I read the book, I was 100% positive Oberyn was going to win. Still can't get over it. :~(
Missandei: I love the actress that plays her. However, the character is all wrong. There's not enough tragedy of loss childhood and emotions because of the horrors of slavery. Missandei is supposed to be a child prodigy that is ruined and misused by her masters. I don't know if her interaction with Grey Worm will salvage this character. I hope it does.
Sansa: I like that she is finally showing some cunning. Book Sansa evolved way too slowly for me. But does it have to come at the expense of Littlefinger? There's no way Littlefinger would allow himself to be in that precarious position to need a save from Sansa.
Gilly and Mole's Town: To me, this was just filler. How about some Mance Rayder instead?
Arya and The Hound: They are both wanted fugitives so I find it quite odd that they would so openly announce their identities in public. This piece of the story just gets worse and worse the more they move away from the books.
Ramsay and Reek: Loved it.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:55 pm

bleach168 wrote:Since I have some time to kill, quick thoughts on the show so far,

Oberyn vs. The Mountain: The fight was great. The buildup was very good. Pablo Pascal was fantastic. Great job HBO. When I read the book, I was 100% positive Oberyn was going to win. Still can't get over it. :~(
Missandei: I love the actress that plays her. However, the character is all wrong. There's not enough tragedy of loss childhood and emotions because of the horrors of slavery. Missandei is supposed to be a child prodigy that is ruined and misused by her masters. I don't know if her interaction with Grey Worm will salvage this character. I hope it does.
Sansa: I like that she is finally showing some cunning. Book Sansa evolved way too slowly for me. But does it have to come at the expense of Littlefinger? There's no way Littlefinger would allow himself to be in that precarious position to need a save from Sansa.
Gilly and Mole's Town: To me, this was just filler. How about some Mance Rayder instead?
Arya and The Hound: They are both wanted fugitives so I find it quite odd that they would so openly announce their identities in public. This piece of the story just gets worse and worse the more they move away from the books.
Ramsay and Reek: Loved it.

If they cast a preteen like for Shireen Baratheon, book Missandei would have translated better on TV. Like you were hinting at, Missandei acts as an important advisor in the books.

Regarding Sansa, I always thought it would be ironic if she winds up outsmarting Littlefinger.

Gilly at Mole's Town is pretty pointless. If anything, it's just further buildup for the Battle of Castle Black, with the Wildling attack on Mole's Town. I'd like to see more Mance scenes too; the portrayal of Mance last season was so boring.

My guess is Arya and the Hound's storyline will finish the way it did in the books.

That has me thinking about the season finale. Episode 9 seems to be dedicated to the Battle of Castle Black, like Blackwater two seasons ago. If that's the way the last two episodes are structured, the season finale figures to have so many big incidents happening at once. Sounds like a good and bad thing, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:55 pm

For what it's worth, missandei is not supposed to be anything. There is no rule that says the show has to mirror the book.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk