Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed May 21, 2014 9:28 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:99% of the time the book is better than the movie or tv show based off the book. I've never loved a book and seen the adaptation be as good. I'm just happy when they don't screw it up horribly.

A glaring exception to this rule are the Bourne books and movies. The Ludlum books are just horrible and the movies are excellent.

I've been waiting for the mountain red viper fight for two years. Also Been waiting for this finale for some time. The comeuppance will be inconceivable.

The casting has generally been dead perfect except for Daario Naharis. This guy should be way more flamboyant. Not quite Jack Sparrow but certainly not this dull beige character they are presenting. In general it is supposed to be more colourful across the narrow sea but no fat belwas and a bad Daario and I don't get the feeling that Mereen is the exciting powder keg it should be. Also wasn't the dragon supposed to have eaten the sheep herders son? Will have to go back and check the book. The dragons are supposed to be getting less romantic and more dangerous at this point.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The casting has generally been dead perfect except for Daario Naharis. This guy should be way more flamboyant. Not quite Jack Sparrow but certainly not this dull beige character they are presenting. In general it is supposed to be more colourful across the narrow sea but no fat belwas and a bad Daario and I don't get the feeling that Mereen is the exciting powder keg it should be. Also wasn't the dragon supposed to have eaten the sheep herders son? Will have to go back and check the book. The dragons are supposed to be getting less romantic and more dangerous at this point.

The sheep herders' sheep were just eaten. Dany realizes that the last petitioner at the end of her chapter presents her with the bones of a burned child. I suppose it was teased on TV that something equally as horrible was going to happen to the sheep herder's son. (I didn't spoil anything BTW, as it doesn't have much bearing on the story.)

Agreed about Daario. Both castings have been quite unremarkable. I always envisioned Daario as a cross between Drogo, Jack Sparrow, and Alan Johnson from Peep Show. Daario is meant to be as over the top as his ridiculous appearance. Strong Belwas of course would have owned that champion of Meereen scene.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri May 23, 2014 3:46 pm

One more thing. Why won't Daneyrs get naked anymore? The first two seasons she couldn't keep her clothes on and it was the best thing about the show because that girl is hot. Now she won't show anything and with a sex scene last episode the only one to get naked was the guy. Mereen is boring now. If the producers are reading this you better get her nekked again or I'm going for refreshments the next time the story goes across the narrow sea. You've been warned.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri May 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:One more thing. Why won't Daneyrs get naked anymore? The first two seasons she couldn't keep her clothes on and it was the best thing about the show because that girl is hot. Now she won't show anything and with a sex scene last episode the only one to get naked was the guy. Mereen is boring now. If the producers are reading this you better get her nekked again or I'm going for refreshments the next time the story goes across the narrow sea. You've been warned.

I heard somewhere Emilia Clarke didn't want to do nude scenes anymore, but that's just a rumor.

Even though a lot happens in Meereen from this point on, the story in the books is pretty boring. Hizdahr so far is more interesting in the series and so, that makes me hopeful that the TV adaptation sorts out what was lacking in Dany's arc in ADWD.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 am

Woah.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:11 am

Now that I can say it...

This was the part of the book in which I just wanted to throw it out the window. Not Red Wedding. Not Arya's cliffhanger of a fate after Red Wedding. Oberyn getting his face smashed in was truly the most gut wrenching thing ever IMO. By that time, there was not much left in A Storm of Swords and I just had to finish it. Glad I did, of course.

That Mountain vs. Red Viper duel was pretty good. It lost the touch of Gregor Clegane losing his cool by taking it out on the stable boy, but it was a fine adaptation. Oberyn's death was worse than I imagined it in the book. Good thing I didn't have my double helping of eggs with Dornish peppers at breakfast or I would have puked.

Other parts of the episode were pretty underwhelming. Grey Worm/Missandei was fluff (but bonus points for naked Nathalie Emmanuel :-L). Orson Lannister was fluff. The way Jorah suddenly gets exiled wasn't played out as well as in the books. Ramsay Bolton, who at one time hated being called a Snow, is finally a Bolton and that was quite sappy for a sadistic character. Sansa's arc is accelerated, but truth be told, what transpires in the Eyrie is a bit slow in the books anyway, and so I welcome that.

Next week is the epic battle at the Wall. It'll probably get the Blackwater treatment. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Nathalie Emmanuel is way hotter than Emilia Clark. ;-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm

bleach168 wrote:Nathalie Emmanuel is way hotter than Emilia Clark. ;-D

It is known.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:22 pm

NO. :-C
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:10 pm

You're out of line.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk