Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 15, 2014 1:32 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Off topic, I can't be the only one who always looks forward to the map intros. Here's one with all locations listed, updated with Braavos. I was very happy when I saw the Braavos animated intro with the nod to the Iron Bank and the Titan.

Now that Theon/Reek is presumably on his way to Moat Cailin, I'd like to see it spotted on the map. It's sort of teased when the shot tilts towards Meereen. Oddly, now that Sansa and LF's story is in The Eyrie, it doesn't prop up in the last two episodes. :-b

Better version
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 pm

bigh0rt wrote:The "book is better than the show/movie" people might be the most despicable people on Earth.

They come a close second to Bruins fans

and why the @#$@# do I have to keep logging in to this site. f'ing frustrating
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 15, 2014 1:46 pm

99% of the time the book is better than the movie or tv show based off the book. I've never loved a book and seen the adaptation be as good. I'm just happy when they don't screw it up horribly.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 15, 2014 2:52 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Off topic, I can't be the only one who always looks forward to the map intros. Here's one with all locations listed, updated with Braavos. I was very happy when I saw the Braavos animated intro with the nod to the Iron Bank and the Titan.

Now that Theon/Reek is presumably on his way to Moat Cailin, I'd like to see it spotted on the map. It's sort of teased when the shot tilts towards Meereen. Oddly, now that Sansa and LF's story is in The Eyrie, it doesn't prop up in the last two episodes. :-b

Better version

Yup, saw that the other day. ;-D

Pogotheostrich wrote:99% of the time the book is better than the movie or tv show based off the book. I've never loved a book and seen the adaptation be as good. I'm just happy when they don't screw it up horribly.

Game of Thrones is a better adaptation than many other book-to-TV or movie adaptations I've seen, with few exceptions (like The Godfather). Certain tweaks translate better on TV than in the books and for the most part, they've made sense. Also, it made sense to give Robb, Tywin, and Margaery among others more screen time, as they're more like supporting characters in the books.

I think where the series falls short is character development. Of course, the books don't have the medium restrictions a series of 10-episode TV seasons has which makes it an unfair comparison. However, if they trimmed a few pointless scenes in favor of more constructive buildup, it could only benefit the overall story. For my liking, Robb, Catelyn, and Littlefinger came off as a bit more generic than they should have. Talisa replacing Jeyne Westerling is something else entirely as TV Robb and Book Robb's trajectories differ somewhat, but even Talisa was a poorly written character.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby bleach168 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:13 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
I think where the series falls short is character development. Of course, the books don't have the medium restrictions a series of 10-episode TV seasons has which makes it an unfair comparison. However, if they trimmed a few pointless scenes in favor of more constructive buildup, it could only benefit the overall story. For my liking, Robb, Catelyn, and Littlefinger came off as a bit more generic than they should have. Talisa replacing Jeyne Westerling is something else entirely as TV Robb and Book Robb's trajectories differ somewhat, but even Talisa was a poorly written character.

Exactly.

I'm upset they skipped the trip to Littlefinger's home. Most hilarious chapter in all of the five books imo.

Other than that, I enjoyed the last three episodes and I'm very excited for the final three.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:17 pm

Man that was easily my favorite episode of the season. The scene with Oberon and Tyrion got me super excited, guy wants his vengeance.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 pm

bleach168 wrote:Exactly.

I'm upset they skipped the trip to Littlefinger's home. Most hilarious chapter in all of the five books imo.

Other than that, I enjoyed the last three episodes and I'm very excited for the final three.

I'll have to re-read that, but I recall Littlefinger basically demeaning The Fingers and he has those droll interactions with his servants. He's right though, The Fingers sounds like a dour place to live.

Speaking of funny, the TV series doesn't have enough Dolorous Edd.

As for the most recent episode, for a setup episode, it was a strong one. Lots of possibilities with Hizhdar going to Yunkai. Oberyn's scene with Tyrion is one of the better ones all season. Too bad we have to wait two weeks for Viper vs. Mountain. Sansa's scenes seemed a bit rushed but they did the trick.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon May 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Because of Tyron's character/personality, I thought the scene with Oberyn was just an exceptional bit of acting. Outside of his sarcasm, Tyrion is a very serious character. It would generally seem out of character for him to be overjoyed or overly happy about something. Somehow, when Oberyn said "I'll be your champion", Tyrion appeared to be fighting to hold back a smile, but was overwhelmed by emotion. It was a subtle but powerful scene. Peter dinklidge is really consistently impressive every episode.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:07 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
I'll have to re-read that, but I recall Littlefinger basically demeaning The Fingers and he has those droll interactions with his servants. He's right though, The Fingers sounds like a dour place to live.

To me, it was Littlefinger being self-deprecating. He actually came off quite endearing.

lastingsgriller wrote:Because of Tyron's character/personality, I thought the scene with Oberyn was just an exceptional bit of acting. Outside of his sarcasm, Tyrion is a very serious character. It would generally seem out of character for him to be overjoyed or overly happy about something. Somehow, when Oberyn said "I'll be your champion", Tyrion appeared to be fighting to hold back a smile, but was overwhelmed by emotion. It was a subtle but powerful scene. Peter dinklidge is really consistently impressive every episode.

He's always been excellent but this year Dinklage has been otherworldly. Yet in many interviews he's done, I swear he is high as a kite.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 20, 2014 1:49 pm

bleach168 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:I'll have to re-read that, but I recall Littlefinger basically demeaning The Fingers and he has those droll interactions with his servants. He's right though, The Fingers sounds like a dour place to live.

To me, it was Littlefinger being self-deprecating. He actually came off quite endearing.

I would say he's being sardonic in an endearing way.

My favorite passage:

"Ah, cold salt mutton. I must be home. When I break my fast on gulls' eggs and seaweed soup, I'll be certain of it."
"If you like, m'lord," said the old woman Grisel.
Lord Petyr made a face. "Come, let's see if my hall is as dreary as I recall."
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk