Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby bleach168 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:43 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
bigken117 wrote:the scene outside Mereen is where I miss Strong Belwas. It was not Daario in the books, and I think the book did it better

Yeah, it's disappointing that Belwas apparently won't be cast at all in the series. I was indifferent about the fight scene belonging to Daario, even if he was the next logical fit for that scene after Belwas.

As for Episode 3, I'd rate it favorably. Arya/Hound was good as usual, Tywin's exchanges with Tommen and Oberyn were good, and the storyline with the Wildlings and The Wall is coming together nicely. I'm unsure what to make of Jaime forcing himself upon Cersei, in contrast to the polarizing things you'll hear from book readers (especially Jaime fans).

Well, the director said that it started off as rape but by the end it was consensual. I think the director did a horrible job of trying to convey that because it came off awful rapey to me.

There were some decent moments, but there was more bad than good last episode.

1) Why have the Hound turn into a thief? What's the point? And if he is a thief, why didn't he rob the tavern keeper in episode 1?
2) Why did Sam send Gilly to Mole's town? I understand he doesn't want Gilly to get raped at Castle Black, but she's just as likely to get it in Mole's town. The whole Sam and Gilly arc is clearly going to be different than it was in the books. I just wish they dropped Gilly altogether as she's just not an interesting character.
3) Remember last season when Varys and Lady Olenna were discussing Littlefinger's plot to steal Sansa? Well, Varys and Lady Olenna seem to have totally forgotten about that. And they won't remember when the search for Sansa begins. (this is more a gripe from last season, but this episode reminded me)
4) Can we get some Mance Rayder instead of brothel orgy?

I don't mind losing Strong Belwas too much. They should have however introduced Penny and Groat.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am

bleach168 wrote:Well, the director said that it started off as rape but by the end it was consensual. I think the director did a horrible job of trying to convey that because it came off awful rapey to me.

I really don't see how what was shown was anything but rape.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:09 pm

bleach168 wrote:Well, the director said that it started off as rape but by the end it was consensual. I think the director did a horrible job of trying to convey that because it came off awful rapey to me.

There were some decent moments, but there was more bad than good last episode.

1) Why have the Hound turn into a thief? What's the point? And if he is a thief, why didn't he rob the tavern keeper in episode 1?
2) Why did Sam send Gilly to Mole's town? I understand he doesn't want Gilly to get raped at Castle Black, but she's just as likely to get it in Mole's town. The whole Sam and Gilly arc is clearly going to be different than it was in the books. I just wish they dropped Gilly altogether as she's just not an interesting character.
3) Remember last season when Varys and Lady Olenna were discussing Littlefinger's plot to steal Sansa? Well, Varys and Lady Olenna seem to have totally forgotten about that. And they won't remember when the search for Sansa begins. (this is more a gripe from last season, but this episode reminded me)
4) Can we get some Mance Rayder instead of brothel orgy?

I don't mind losing Strong Belwas too much. They should have however introduced Penny and Groat.

The Jaime scene looked like rape. If memory serves, it's consensual in the books with Cersei giving in just as quick as resisting initially. Either way, it was a badly constructed scene if that was the director's intention. I'm also a bit dismayed with Jaime's rapey scene given that while Jaime is still a "shades of grey" character, he's pretty much set on his path of trying to redeem himself and his honor. Then again, I can sort of see the rationale behind a rapey sort of scene to show that he's still a fairly screwed up person.

Regarding The Hound, I didn't mind that he's turned into a thief. He might actually be written for a more ironic fate, if you think about it (without spoiling books here). In any case, this also dispels the idea that Arya has lost her humanity at this point of her storyline arc.

My guess is the Wildlings raid Mole's Town next and Gilly goes fleeing back to Castle Black. I agree she's a pointless character, especially if they don't introduce Val and Dalla.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon May 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Some thoughts about the last couple of episodes:

Craster's Keep was entertaining filler, although filler nonetheless. Same goes for Asha/Yara's little scrap at the Dreadfort. (I find it funny the Ironborn had a Monty Python-like "run away" moment when Ramsay threatened to release his dogs.)

Tyrion's trial was well done. This season so far has been an entertaining mess, but all in all, I'm liking the changes for the TV adaptation. Shoot, TV Stannis has been a character assassination since Season 3, but even he turned out OK after his moment in Braavos.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue May 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Oberyn is creeping up as an elite character. In this episode, though, Tyrion reclaimed the throne as most interesting, as well as best acted character. Not to say that was ever lost, but it was asserted here.

The internet is a bad place for this show. (Not so much here, due to the company) but, out there, this show seems to be getting some major backlash from the overly pretentious "book is better than the show" crowd. Which, I will now go on a brief rant about..

Obviously, given the length of the books and the sheer volume of characters, every story can not and will not be faithfully adapted from book to show. The shows writers are going to take liberties with their script to make the show flow as best they can. Obviously, given the immense popularity of this show, and it's cult-like following, they are doing a pretty good job. There is no law that states that your favorite characters/stories/plot lines from the book have to be portrayed identically or even similarly in the show. Just because the show's writers are interpreting and presenting the story differently than you would have doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. \rant

I like varys. Always have. Also, margaery is sexy. Not danarys-sexy, but, sexy nonetheless.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 13, 2014 11:27 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:The internet is a bad place for this show. (Not so much here, due to the company) but, out there, this show seems to be getting some major backlash from the overly pretentious "book is better than the show" crowd. Which, I will now go on a brief rant about..

You're just mad because you didn't heed the warning about the Internets being dark and full of spoilers. :-]

I stand on the middle ground with regards to the TV series and books. All in all, I like the adaptation. The producers have done a wonderful job in taking a very complex work and having it translate to a formidable TV series with the creative and budget restrictions in mind. Certain things are better on TV than in the books. For instance, Bran's story is a bit boring in the book and but nonetheless important to the overall story and his arc for TV is fine. However, that doesn't make it immune to nitpicking and criticism. For example, in the recent episode, Littlefinger's revelation as the catalyst to the chaos in Westeros was just thrown out there with no shock value. Then again, I'm not surprised; he just isn't portrayed as the subtly cunning character he is in the book.

I still prefer the books over the TV series, but like I said before, they're both different entities altogether to the point where comparing between them is as futile as much as it is inevitable. The books give you more characters and backstory that enrich the events being described (i.e. Knight of the Laughing Tree, the Bolton/Stark rivalry). The point of view perspective on a chapter-by-chapter basis also offers greater insight and character depth. So, in the books, Tyrion and Arya are more well-rounded while remaining awesome and Catelyn is smarter than just a worrywart mother on TV.

I pretty much encourage every Unsullied to read the books. First three are excellent, last two aren't as good, and all the samples for the sixth book (The Winds of Winter) are promising. After the revelation of White Walker "Darth Maul", us book readers might be spoiled for the next two books. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:Oberyn is creeping up as an elite character. In this episode, though, Tyrion reclaimed the throne as most interesting, as well as best acted character. Not to say that was ever lost, but it was asserted here.

The internet is a bad place for this show. (Not so much here, due to the company) but, out there, this show seems to be getting some major backlash from the overly pretentious "book is better than the show" crowd. Which, I will now go on a brief rant about..

Obviously, given the length of the books and the sheer volume of characters, every story can not and will not be faithfully adapted from book to show. The shows writers are going to take liberties with their script to make the show flow as best they can. Obviously, given the immense popularity of this show, and it's cult-like following, they are doing a pretty good job. There is no law that states that your favorite characters/stories/plot lines from the book have to be portrayed identically or even similarly in the show. Just because the show's writers are interpreting and presenting the story differently than you would have doesn't mean they're doing it wrong. \rant

I like varys. Always have. Also, margaery is sexy. Not danarys-sexy, but, sexy nonetheless.

Agree with everything here.
Also I'm trying not to get attached to Oberyn given what I know about him. That said I always knew that he was going to be the best character in the series and the book. Can't wait for his sand snakes next season.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:48 pm

For this being a no book spoilers thread some of you are coming pretty close to spoiling things.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 14, 2014 12:13 am

Off topic, I can't be the only one who always looks forward to the map intros. Here's one with all locations listed, updated with Braavos. I was very happy when I saw the Braavos animated intro with the nod to the Iron Bank and the Titan.

Now that Theon/Reek is presumably on his way to Moat Cailin, I'd like to see it spotted on the map. It's sort of teased when the shot tilts towards Meereen. Oddly, now that Sansa and LF's story is in The Eyrie, it doesn't prop up in the last two episodes. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 14, 2014 9:14 pm

The "book is better than the show/movie" people might be the most despicable people on Earth.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 359)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk