Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:27 pm

For those of us that haven't read the books, it can be tough to follow. You just have to treat every episode as appointment tv and give it full attention.

Also, after each episode, peep the wiki. Make a point to learn who everyone is and how they relate to the other characters.

Ultimately, if you try, keeping up isn't too hard. But, if you don't give it your full attention, I could see how it would be easy to get lost..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:00 am

bleach168 wrote:Btw, have any of you gone back to the first season (or better yet, the first book) and got really bothered that all your favorite characters are dead?

My favorite characters are still alive. :-B

For some reason, I miss Ned Stark more in the TV series than I did in the books. Robert was a great warrior and an ineffective king, but he was likable to a certain extent. I didn't like Viserys the character but he was well portrayed.

On that note, let's look back fondly on good old days, my sweet summer children.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:53 am

According to my fiancee they didn't ever actually say who poisoned Joffrey in the books. We have a theory, but I'm curious what you guys think.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:According to my fiancee they didn't ever actually say who poisoned Joffrey in the books. We have a theory, but I'm curious what you guys think.

in the books someone does admit to it

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm

bigken117 wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:According to my fiancee they didn't ever actually say who poisoned Joffrey in the books. We have a theory, but I'm curious what you guys think.

I haven't read the books but I did look up the spoiler. Doesn't seem like the reasons for the poisoning were really all that clear. The the show had a different character poison Joffrey would the readers flip out?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

I haven't read the books but I did look up the spoiler. Doesn't seem like the reasons for the poisoning were really all that clear. The the show had a different character poison Joffrey would the readers flip out?

Considering the party or the parties that did it, the reasons are quite clear. It's very apparent to me that the culprit(s) will be the same as the books.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Haven't read the books or checked any spoilers so I could be wrong, but my guess is that it's the Tyrells. Margaery takes Joff's cup when the pie comes out and puts it on the table in front of old lady Tyrell. Then when Joff tells Tyrion to get him his wine, Margaery points out the right cup to him.

Also think that Sansa/the jester guy could be involved somehow too. At the beginning of the feast, old lady Tyrell goes up to Sansa and mentions how awful it is to kill someone at a wedding. Seemed pretty foreboding to me.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby bleach168 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
bigken117 wrote:

It made sense to me. I'll discuss it once the TV show catches up.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm

the scene outside Mereen is where I miss Strong Belwas. It was not Daario in the books, and I think the book did it better

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 am

bigken117 wrote:the scene outside Mereen is where I miss Strong Belwas. It was not Daario in the books, and I think the book did it better

Yeah, it's disappointing that Belwas apparently won't be cast at all in the series. I was indifferent about the fight scene belonging to Daario, even if he was the next logical fit for that scene after Belwas.

As for Episode 3, I'd rate it favorably. Arya/Hound was good as usual, Tywin's exchanges with Tommen and Oberyn were good, and the storyline with the Wildlings and The Wall is coming together nicely. I'm unsure what to make of Jaime forcing himself upon Cersei, in contrast to the polarizing things you'll hear from book readers (especially Jaime fans).
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk