Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:49 pm

I found the arya scene a little disturbing. She shouldn't be taking pleasure in something like that.
The storyline at the Wall is the most interesting right now.
Ser Dontos is a character that could be written out of the TV adaptation. Everything to do with Sansa is boring.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:31 pm

I don't recall Oberyn being so .... fancy, if you will, in the book. But he is well cast. Already the most interesting character.
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I found the arya scene a little disturbing. She shouldn't be taking pleasure in something like that.


Arya is a killer at heart, we've known this for some time. This also had twist of sweet vengeance thrown in..

I would guess that this gleeful revenge killing is a foreshadow to what she is going to do to the lannisters.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this whole thing ended with a showdown between arya (atop the thrown at kings landing) and danarys with her dragons.

(I will remind you book readers that this is the no book spoiler thread. If my guesses are way off or spot on, please don't spoil either way.)
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3882
(Past Year: 172)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:21 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:I found the arya scene a little disturbing. She shouldn't be taking pleasure in something like that.


Arya is a killer at heart, we've known this for some time. This also had twist of sweet vengeance thrown in..

I would guess that this gleeful revenge killing is a foreshadow to what she is going to do to the lannisters.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this whole thing ended with a showdown between arya (atop the thrown at kings landing) and danarys with her dragons.

(I will remind you book readers that this is the no book spoiler thread. If my guesses are way off or spot on, please don't spoil either way.)


She's supposed to be a screwed up little girl. I won't put in any spoilers about when she does become a cold blooded killer but she's not supposed to be one yet - they jumped over a lot of character development there.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:09 pm

I also think Arya's character development as a cold blooded killer feels rushed, but I don't mind it as much. I would attribute that ambivalence to Tickler's death in Season 2. Even after the Inn scene in the book, Arya is still a girl who does what she does to survive, but is still capable of feeling fear and empathy.

The last two episodes for Arya make her seem somewhat sociopathic. Again, I don't mind it, as it seems she's become more cynical in the series than in the books (especially after Gendry/Melisandre). Maybe we'll have a moment where Arya reflects upon her mother and Robb's death, we'll see.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 am

Well, I wouldn't have missed that episode for all the Braavosi coins in the world.

Solid episode all around. I'm still not a fan of what they're doing with the Stannis scenes. The Bolton and Reek/Theon segments were great. Not sure where they're going with Shae's storyline. I'll have to shrug at a scene or two from Purple Wedding, but it was spot on.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:06 pm

having read all the books between seasons definitely spoiled some of the surprise that I would have had last night, but it was still nicely done.
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:01 pm

bigken117 wrote:having read all the books between seasons definitely spoiled some of the surprise that I would have had last night, but it was still nicely done.


Agreed.
I also think that there are way too many storylines to make this a good tv show without having first read the books. To move this along at any pace episodes need to be 2 hours or just concentrate on a couple of story lines per episode. Seriously, how many stories did they touch on in one hour last night. Bran in the north, the wildlings south of the wall, castle black, the Dreadfort and a couple of storylines in Kings landing. Good thing they didn't try to crow bar in the dragons. As it is I am pausing every 2 minutes to explain to my wife wtf is going on. It took me 2 hours to watch that with all of the explanations. Not at all enjoyable. I've got to wait for her to go to bed tonight and watch it again uninterrupted.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 277)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:02 pm

The series has felt pretty cluttered since Season 3. Last night's episode felt more organized than past episodes IMO, even if there were little subplots here and there with the Purple Wedding. Then again, PW got the half-hour treatment like Red Wedding.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
bigken117 wrote:having read all the books between seasons definitely spoiled some of the surprise that I would have had last night, but it was still nicely done.


Agreed.
I also think that there are way too many storylines to make this a good tv show without having first read the books. To move this along at any pace episodes need to be 2 hours or just concentrate on a couple of story lines per episode. Seriously, how many stories did they touch on in one hour last night. Bran in the north, the wildlings south of the wall, castle black, the Dreadfort and a couple of storylines in Kings landing. Good thing they didn't try to crow bar in the dragons. As it is I am pausing every 2 minutes to explain to my wife wtf is going on. It took me 2 hours to watch that with all of the explanations. Not at all enjoyable. I've got to wait for her to go to bed tonight and watch it again uninterrupted.


This is pretty much how all my friends who didn't read the books think:

Image

Btw, have any of you gone back to the first season (or better yet, the first book) and got really bothered that all your favorite characters are dead?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 16)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact