Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:42 pm

That might be a spoiler. The thing about the books and the show is that from what I've read, the show is kind of skipping around. A lot of people were upset that the wolf sewed on to Robb scene was cut out of the show and then it was there the next episode. I'm seeing a lot of articles today commenting on how the Theon/Reek story is so different than the book and describing why, but it could be that all the things in the book might happen, just in a different order.

Truth be told though, there's no way to avoid spoilers with this show. I just had something very important revealed to me today by people talking at work that might ruin next season for me depending on the circumstances.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:37 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Ramsay reveal was really a Reek reveal. In the books they don't tell you that Reek is really Theon. You only find that out much later. In the show though they tell you right away that Theon becomes Reek.

I feel like this is a book spoiler in the (no book spoilers) thread.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:39 pm

Nvm, looks like Jfg covered that already.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 183)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 pm

doesn't matter, Theon and his story line suck anyway

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:32 pm

jfg wrote:That might be a spoiler. The thing about the books and the show is that from what I've read, the show is kind of skipping around. A lot of people were upset that the wolf sewed on to Robb scene was cut out of the show and then it was there the next episode. I'm seeing a lot of articles today commenting on how the Theon/Reek story is so different than the book and describing why, but it could be that all the things in the book might happen, just in a different order.

It was apt to show "RobbWind" the next episode. I know there are a few readers who preferred to see an aftermath scene and RobbWind being the last visual of the Red Wedding episode. That would have been too much to take in. RW ended perfectly with Catelyn's death.

Theon and Ramsay's storyline on TV is implied in A Dance with Dragons. In the books, we don't see Theon until two books later. It was better on the show that we see what happens to Theon before becoming an afterthought and someone else entirely because of Ramsay.

bigken117 wrote:with what felt like 4 years between seasons I don't remember much about the show with Theon in Winterfell ... but I'm in the end of book 2 and Theon is in Winterfell and his "hand" is Reek. So .... :-S

SPOILER ALERT if anyone wants to read the books.

Reek in A Clash of Kings is really Ramsay in disguise. "Reek" sacking Winterfell and making the startling revelation to Theon is a highlight of the book. Ramsay learns a lot about Theon as his time as "Reek" and uses everything he's learned about Theon to make him Ramsay's pet.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Tavish » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:26 am

Chomp chomp chomp. Without Breaking Bad around anymore, tomorrow night can't get here soon enough.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby bigken117 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:41 am

couldn't even sleep in this morning :-)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:00 pm

There's a Game of Thrones marathon going all weekend long on HBO 2, up until tonight's premiere.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Nice premiere overall. As usual, I wasn't fond of the departure from the books, but I'll leave it at that.

I like the new Daario better than the old Darrio. I really enjoyed the Joffrey scene.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm

bleach168 wrote:Nice premiere overall. As usual, I wasn't fond of the departure from the books, but I'll leave it at that.

I like the new Daario better than the old Darrio. I really enjoyed the Joffrey scene.

I've pretty much conceded that the TV adaptation will be a different interpretive take on the books. I'm just hoping with the progress of the TV series that it would accelerate GRRM to finish The Winds of Winter.

I really liked the tavern scene. They've taken a different direction with the Arya/Hound story, but I'm liking the continued development of Arya as a cold-blooded badass killer.

All in all, the premiere was great and perhaps the best since Season 1. Glad to see Oberyn and I think he's well casted. I'm disappointed with Tywin's disowning of Jaime being much more anticlimactic than in the books. Dany's scenes were OK, aside from the dragons and the "mile marker" to Meereen being pretty cool.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk