Game of Thrones (no book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Game of Thrones (no book spoilers)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:00 am

Decent finale. This show has basically established that episode 9 of each season is the OMG WTF episode and the finale is to tie up loose ends and set the stage for the following season, which I'm fine with. Interesting to see Theon's situation come to light and very interested to see how this Greyjoy-Bolton conflict plays out. Also, Davos Seaworth is shooting up my list of favorite characters. The actress who plays Arya is phenomenal, I could watch an entire episode of her and The Hound. Also love the dialogue between Tywin and Tyrion, especially when both were attacking Joffrey.

I'm 80% through Book 1 and on the advice of people here, I'm planning to read through all of them before next season.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 118)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 pm

There's the Arya I know!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:28 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Decent finale. This show has basically established that episode 9 of each season is the OMG WTF episode and the finale is to tie up loose ends and set the stage for the following season, which I'm fine with. Interesting to see Theon's situation come to light and very interested to see how this Greyjoy-Bolton conflict plays out. Also, Davos Seaworth is shooting up my list of favorite characters. The actress who plays Arya is phenomenal, I could watch an entire episode of her and The Hound. Also love the dialogue between Tywin and Tyrion, especially when both were attacking Joffrey.

I'm 80% through Book 1 and on the advice of people here, I'm planning to read through all of them before next season.

Being spoiled can add a new level of appreciation for GRRM's wit.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Not a good finale. Agreed that they tried to shoehorn in too many storylines. They picked the worst Danys scene to finish with.

The one redeeming feature of this episode is that there was no Cat or Robb. The good thing about this series is that the worst characters get killed off.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:37 pm

The Ramsay reveal wasn't really a reveal because I still don't know who the heck he is.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:44 pm

jfg wrote:The Ramsay reveal wasn't really a reveal because I still don't know who the heck he is.

The guy who killed Robb was Lord Bolton. He was part of Robb's council. When Winterfell was attacked by Theon there was a scene when Bolton said he'd sent his bastard there to check it out. Ramsay was his bastard. He also was the one that conveyed Robb's message that any Iron born that left Winterfell would not be tracked by Robb's armies (except for Theon)

Ramsay was also the one who was blowing the horn the whole time Theon was in Winterfell driving him crazy.

What we didn't see was Ramsey conveying the message to the Iron born that they could leave if they turned over Theon. Theon's army knocked him out, handed him over to Ramsey (another scene we didn't see), but instead of Ramsey handing him over Robb, he decided to torture him.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Curtis Pride wrote:
jfg wrote:The Ramsay reveal wasn't really a reveal because I still don't know who the heck he is.

The guy who killed Robb was Lord Bolton. He was part of Robb's council. When Winterfell was attacked by Theon there was a scene when Bolton said he'd sent his bastard there to check it out. Ramsay was his bastard. He also was the one that conveyed Robb's message that any Iron born that left Winterfell would not be tracked by Robb's armies (except for Theon)

Ramsay was also the one who was blowing the horn the whole time Theon was in Winterfell driving him crazy.

What we didn't see was Ramsey conveying the message to the Iron born that they could leave if they turned over Theon. Theon's army knocked him out, handed him over to Ramsey (another scene we didn't see), but instead of Ramsey handing him over Robb, he decided to torture him.

Thanks, but can you explain why Ramsay felt the need to kill off a bunch of his loyal men just to orchestrate a fake prison escape?
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Curtis Pride » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:52 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Curtis Pride wrote:

Thanks, but can you explain why Ramsay felt the need to kill off a bunch of his loyal men just to orchestrate a fake prison escape?

not a book reader, but as I understand it, they've changed the Ramsay/Theon/Reek situation a bit, so there may be a better answer from a book reader, but I'd just say it was answered from a quote in the last episode. "Ramsay has his own way of doing things". Basically, he's a sadistic nutter like Joffrey if not worse. I think he released him just so he could hunt him down.
Last edited by Curtis Pride on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:06 pm

The Ramsay reveal was really a Reek reveal. In the books they don't tell you that Reek is really Theon. You only find that out much later. In the show though they tell you right away that Theon becomes Reek.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:The Ramsay reveal was really a Reek reveal. In the books they don't tell you that Reek is really Theon. You only find that out much later. In the show though they tell you right away that Theon becomes Reek.

with what felt like 4 years between seasons I don't remember much about the show with Theon in Winterfell ... but I'm in the end of book 2 and Theon is in Winterfell and his "hand" is Reek. So .... :-S

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk