One roster spot left for pitcher... who to get? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

One roster spot left for pitcher... who to get?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Nappy Dugout » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:00 am

F Benson. If I remember correctly, he wasn't THAT good before he had T-John. He plays for a crappy team with a fair defense, and no O. The only thing he has going for him is a good closer. Pass.

I like a few guys on that list, but for the spot you are choosing for I would take somebody I would consider has the most upside. I think that is Armas Jr. He has the stuff, and has been in the majors for a few years. That offense with Vlade, Vidro, and Wilkerson can score some runs too. The biggest detractor is that he will be playing 22 games in Puerto Rico, which may rival Coors.

I like Wells too, but he has all the same issues that Benson has, less than T-John.

I don't think there are any guys on that list that are sure fire studs, but Armas is the best bet in my opinion.
You don't need a quadraphonic Blaupunkt, what you need is a curveball!....
Nappy Dugout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:08 am

Nappy Dugout wrote: He plays for a crappy team with a fair defense, and no O. The only thing he has going for him is a good closer. Pass.
While it's not really debatable that the Pirates suck, they made some pretty decent improvments by signing Reggie Sanders and Randall Simon on top of Giles and if Kendall and Ramirez rebound (both are batting over 333 in spring training), they have an interesting offense :)

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Nappy Dugout » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:17 am

While Sanders and Simon may be improvements over what they have, I wouldn't consider them big helps. I think Simon flops in the NL, and Sanders is VERY unpredictable. He could do the same.

Nobody should doubt Giles ability. STUD. Ramirez needs to do 2001 again before he convinces me, and Kendall has become very much a below average player. People consistently overrate him.

Hey, if you like Benson, go for him. I ain't stoppin' you. Just trying to opine to you that he is not likely to eclipse 12 wins if he has a good year. Personally, I don't think he reaches 10 wins.

Good luck.
Nappy Dugout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:25 am

I'm not saying I want him. If he becomes the Pirates' ace, then he's gonna be facing the likes of Matt Morris, Wood/Prior, Oswalt, etc. Definitely not going to get a lot of wins with that offense against those pitchers, hehe. Just saying the Pirates will probably get a lot closer to being a .500 team this year :)

Postby Nappy Dugout » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:31 am

I guess we will agree to disagree. I don't have the same hope for the Bucs.

I see the biggest improvement in that division coming from the Cubs.

Sammy had an off year. Patterson has a year in the majors, Bobby Hill will be solid, and they can't be any worse at 3B. Put that on top of a staff that many batters will loath to face, and you have a recipe for an improving team.
Nappy Dugout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:55 am

Don't forget Dusty Baker, who has a nack for making the most with the least :) As well as Choi.

Postby wrveres » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:07 pm

:-B I'd take a flyer on Ainsworth. He has a solid team. the number one pitchers park, and he can pitch lights out. he will be a middle of the rotation guy by May. Do a little homework and you'll see.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 761)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:17 pm

Now the Pirates added Kenny Lofton. *Ponders* Hehehe...

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers