Cuddyer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cuddyer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cuddyer

Postby rippz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:46 am

Well he pinch hits gets 2RBIs and a Run with the added bonus of playing 2B.

Only 14 more to go and his value sky rockets..... Why dont they play him instead of Rivas everyday?

Cuddyer should be filling in for Koskie every third game so he will be 3B eligable sooner than later.
rippz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tool069c » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:51 am

My league has a 1 game in season eligibility rule, so now, he is eligible at OF and 2B...and counting...He had a great spring, and he'll be starting somewhere sooner than later I think...
tool069c
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby djacks » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:24 am

I wish I had room to stash him away on my bench...Rivas, Guzman, and/or Koskie will get hurt sooner or later, then he should hold some value...
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fishingmn » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:38 am

He's too valuable to the Twinkies at being able to fill in almost anywhere on the diamond.

At present he's just not going to get enough at bats to justify having him on a fantasy team.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Joe Mauer » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:52 am

fishingmn is completely right, and that's why.....baring the unforseen, he will be a mid-to-late game pinch-hitter/defensive sub.

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

not much value

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:56 am

I wouldn't hold to much value in him. The key to Twins baseball is sadly hope that we can out fundlemental the openant. So obviously fielding is number 1.

I'm sure fishingmn would agree with me (another Twins fan) that Cuddyer leaves something to be desired with the glove. His spring hitting is something to get a little excited about, but up to this recent outbreak he has been a slight disapointment. I would highly doubt so to see him get anymore then 10 - 15 AB's a week, MAYBE 2 starts a week but mostly pitch hitting for Rivas when we need offense. Don't get me wrong i am old school getting pissed at Rivas for his ralley ending double plays and bases loaded K's. How hopeless did he look against Pettite in the playoffs?? Sure is Rivas gets hurt i bet Cuddyer goes in their and produces, and maybe if Koskie too, Cuddyer at third make me cringe though.... don't ever think he's got RF if someone gets hurt or Jones gets traded, we have about 4 prospects in line in front of him to start there to. Careful with him as he's no more then a Denny Hocking in our gameplan.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rohan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:21 pm

I can't disagree any more. Cuddyer is a prize prospect for years for the Twins. He had over 25 hrs in triple A, and is one of there leading hitting prospects. If he gets 550 Ab he's predicted to hit 30+ hrs and steal 20+ bases. If anyopne goes down on that team, Cuddyer will be there ALL season long. He played 3b, 2b, 1b and OF last season.
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

wow

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:01 pm

As much as i disagree with your Cuddyer prediction, damn 30/20 would sure be sweet for our Twins. From watching him a lot the last few years in his trips back n forth from the minors to the pros i see him being a 280/20/75/8 guy in our lineup someday. However i don't see where hes going to get the AB's?? Koskie is a mainstay at third till he retires. Resto, Ford, and Ryan will play before him in the OF and Morneau we be our 1B this year if Doug gets hurt and next year no matter what. So his only chance is beat out Rivas who is hands down a superior fielder then Cuddyer. And all Twins fans know whats important here, fielding. Also i think everyone isn't relizing that he's only played 2 games in his career at 2B and both were not starts. Don't get me wrong i think hes a great player, but his fantasy value is very low IMO, especially this year....
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fishingmn » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:20 pm

Cuddyer is very good with the bat and that's what has gotten him to the majors. He's had an exceedingly good spring hitting like .440 if my memory is right.

I think Cuddyer could certainly be fairly regular player if Jones gets traded or Koskie gets hurt. Yes, the Twins have other outfield options so I think they would likely platoon there. We don't have a regular 3rd basemen that's ready for the majors in the minors right now. At 2nd base I think we'd see Nick Punto be the primary backup to Rivas as he's more polished as a middle infielder.

I don't think Cuddyer is a bad fielder - just an average one. If he's hitting .300+ I think manager Ron Gardenhire would overlook his average fielding and have him in the lineup somewhere. Heck I think we'll see him DH a little too, especially if LeCroy struggles.

I do disagree with JOEG on one specific point - I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Koskie move on after this year. He's making $4.5 Million this year and is a free agent after this year. Those 2 things are typically death to a player staying on with Minnesota. If only we weren't sitting on that dang $6M Joe Mays contract.
fishingmn
College Coach
College Coach

Joe Mays

Postby JOEG » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:53 pm

Don't get me started on the Joe Mays deal, TRyan has done a great job staying somewhat competitive with the big spending teams on a very tight budget. However, what was he thinking signing Joe Mays after a obvious overacheiving season to that much cash?If it wasnt for that we would of had one of the relievers back this year, which would of been nice.
Poop
JOEG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers