Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anthony Rendon?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anthony Rendon?

Postby lastingsgriller » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:20 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
mac-unit wrote:

A team that's expected to be in contention for the world series would call up a top prospect to fill in if it gives them the best chance to win. I'd pick up rendon in most leagues, but he's going back down when Zimmerman is back since I doubt they'll let him learn how to play 2nd at the major league level.

I would bet anything that if he bats .270+ w/ 2+ hr over the next three weeks that the Nats find a way to get him 350 more at-bats this year.

Where do you think those ABs are going to come from? EIther LaRoche or a healthy Zimm would be losing them.

Don't know, but, yes to all of the above, probably.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anthony Rendon?

Postby hondo4mvp » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:06 pm

I saw him make one great play on a foul ball and an error that was a tough call.At any rate,this is a patient organization.If Zimm is healthy he's probably going back down.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Element » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:26 pm

hondo4mvp wrote:I saw him make one great play on a foul ball and an error that was a tough call.At any rate,this is a patient organization.If Zimm is healthy he's probably going back down.

I agree, Though, It may open up the door for the Nats to deal Espinosa this summer for another area of need.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

I would bet anything that if he bats .270+ w/ 2+ hr over the next three weeks that the Nats find a way to get him 350 more at-bats this year.

Where do you think those ABs are going to come from? EIther LaRoche or a healthy Zimm would be losing them.

Don't know, but, yes to all of the above, probably.

But that's the problem. These at bats come from nowhere. You can throw around this theory that he should get ABs because he's a big prospect, but they need to come from somewhere, and it's just not realistic.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:39 pm

how is it not realistic?
one game Rendon could play instead of Zimmerman. next game Rendon could play instead of LaRoche. next game he could get a start at 2B instead of Espinosa. next game he could maybe get a start in the OF instead of someone like Werth?
right now there are 2 current starters not hitting. Espinosa (.182/.234/.364/.598) and LaRoche (.191/.283/.404/.687).
seeing how Washington is in mode to win now, if Rendon is hitting well, it would be better for them to get his bat into the lineup when and wherever they can.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 pm

It is not realistic that they would sit LaRoche, Zimmerman and Espinosa once each every 4 or 5 days and have a rookie trying to learn 3 different positions at once. It's more likely that one of them will be injured and he could replace them. And with that trio, it could easily be any one of them.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby mac-unit » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:44 am

SpecialFNK wrote:how is it not realistic?
one game Rendon could play instead of Zimmerman. next game Rendon could play instead of LaRoche. next game he could get a start at 2B instead of Espinosa. next game he could maybe get a start in the OF instead of someone like Werth?
right now there are 2 current starters not hitting. Espinosa (.182/.234/.364/.598) and LaRoche (.191/.283/.404/.687).
seeing how Washington is in mode to win now, if Rendon is hitting well, it would be better for them to get his bat into the lineup when and wherever they can.

They would never move him around like that. The Nats are smart enough to know that will just screw up a prospect in the long run with little benefit now. The only thing I can see is if they manage to trade Laroche and move Zimmerman over to first now.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 am

SpecialFNK wrote:how is it not realistic?

Because they would never do it. First off, Zim and LaRoche are both too good to be sitting once every few days. Espinosa might not be good enough to say you constantly need him in the lineup, but Rendon at 2B is also the least comfortable of the 3 positions for him. On top of that, there's no way they're going to risk stunting his development by constantly moving him between 3 positions. That's a great way to kill a young player's potential. The Nats have proved time and again that they're smart about how they develop their prospects, so expect to see Rendon for now until Zim is healthy and then to see him be sent down. Obviously if he starts putting up Trout-like numbers in his rookie season, things will be different, but it's highly unlikely that he produces to that level.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:48 am

they have already talked about him playing other positions, including 2 games this season in the minors at 2B.

this is what Davey Johnson had to say about Rendon in spring training.
http://www.federalbaseball.com/2013/3/5 ... ootwork-at
"He's got an idea on how to get that bat on the ball," Johnson, the former major league second baseman said, "Got good hands. Good stroke. And he can play a lot of positions. I like him at third, and I also didn't mind him at short. And he's got some [aptitude] at second."

so you can add SS into those list of positions too.
the article says they want him to play a full season in the minors, but with Zimmerman injured, he's in Washington now.
they finish the article by saying this.
If he keeps hitting like he has throughout college and early in his pro career, they'll find somewhere for him to play.

would the Nationals have called up Rendon if they really felt like there was no chance he remains with the team once Zimmerman returns? if they only needed someone to fill in, they could have just used Steve Lombardozzi.
as long as Rendon is hitting, I don't see him going back down. but that's a big if since this is the first time he has been playing above AA. he might not be hitting well, but if he is, he's going to play.

I'm not suggesting Zimmerman and LaRoche sit every few days. there could be multiple players sitting once a week. sitting Zimmerman once a week could help keep him healthy, or having LaRoche sit once a week and use Zimmerman at 1B.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

I was debating the fact that Lastings said he would get 350 ABs this year. If you sit LaRoche or Zim once per week to play Rendon, no way he gets to 350 ABs. And the fact that he played two games at 2B in the minors hardly signifies that all of a sudden he's taking the job from Espinosa.

The Nationals brought him up because he's better than Lombo and they need to keep winning games. This is a big year for the Nats, but the Braves are a huge threat. Unfortunately for both of those teams, they're in the same division in this new playoff format. Therefore, the Nats neep to field the best possible team while Zim is hurt, because they don't want to lose out to the Braves and have to play in that 1 game playoff. It makes a lot of sense for them to bring him up now, but not a whole lot for them to keep him up and playing once Zim is healthy.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers