Do you do this trade with Braun? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Do you do this trade with Braun?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do you do this trade with Braun?

Postby Baseball2727 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:02 am

I would give Ryan Braun and Gio and get Cole Hamles, Josh Hamilton, and Will Meyers. Keeper league/head to head total points. We keep 7, a rookie, and 2 minors. No loss of picks to keep players, draft just starts in rd. 1. I am a bit worried about Josh and I do not know if Cole and Gio are far apart. Meyers is the wild card I guess. Thanks and I will help on yours as well.
Baseball2727
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do you do this trade with Braun?

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:32 am

ok well in the time it took me to read your post and get to this dialog box i forgot what the goofy keeper restrictions are, not to mention the point system, so i'm going to take this one head on going forward.

if all things are equal in keeperdom (i.e. it's not one of those leagues where each keeper can only be kept for like, say, 3 years and therefore braun might have only one more year for your team after this one or whatever) there's no way in hell i do this trade. it's not that i'm a giant gio gonzalez guy, in fact i think you're making a wise move in trading him not that far removed from a cy young run of a season before he can have a 4.40/1.30 12-13 type season and lose his value.....but like, cole hamels seems to be setting up for another bad cole hamels ~2009 type season (of course, the one year since i got burned bad by him in 09 i say ok cole you're back on the squad and get him in 3 teams we get... this) and your trade partner is trying to cash out on him with you.... obviously there's a chance he rebounds and has a nice ~3.50/1.22 type gig with his usual wins/Ks, but it looks more and more like another ~4.00/1.25 seaosn, which is far rfemoved from the kind of value you're expecting in a deal for a bonafide first round player like ryan braun.

hamilton looks awful. as i watch the angles this year(i'm not calling them the angels until tehy start hitting, kind of like how felix pie (pronounced pee-A) was pronounced PIE and not pee-A until he started hitting. btw, he's still PIE.) i'm convinced he's gonna have one of those transitional years where he has significantly lesser #s than what he had last year, when lest we forget for the first ~2 months of the season he was superman and watch out home run record and all that, then he tailed offandnow the tailing continues..... this guy is trying to dump his big names on you to land braun, who isnt setting the world on fire yet but is solidly building up his #s and consistent enough to the point where within a couple'a weeks he'll start showing up on all of the various stat leaderboards and it'll be ho-hum cuz that's what the kosher butcher does.

obviously the nice part of that trade is wil myers, but really, look at his milb stats >> William Bradford Myers - RF #5 Durham Bulls (Triple-A Tampa Bay): 13g 50ab 7r 15h 2h2b 1h3b 0hr 11rbi 9bb 15k 0sb 0cs 0e .300avg .393obp .380slg .773ops)) >> and he's not exactly setting the world on fire.

so yeah it'd be very nice to have myers.... but not for the price of ryan braun. the ONLY way i could consider this if i was you is like, if there's no way you can keep braun next year and you'd be able to keep hamels/hamilton (mmmm... hammy) and obviously myers, and therefore you'd cash out a year of braun's production to load yourself up with two big name guys who are likely to relatively/disappoint this year and hopefully rebound next year, alongside with a top prospect... but if you're in a position where you'd be able to keep braun for another year or two or three, then i definitely wouldn't sell myself short with this deal, which wreeks of your trade partner going "oh my lord these guys are sucking.... my team's languishing in the lower quadrant of the league.... i know, how about i throw them all in a trashbag and see if i can throw the whole package together for ONE big name.... yah that might work.

you know how i'm familiar with that mindset? i've already done that trade in a league where i started off miserable despite the presence of hamilton, price, and hamels on my team.... i offered the guy price/hamels + rafael soriano + hamilton + filler for kershaw and hunter pence and the guy chose price over hamels, so yeah, i got my overpriced kershaw but i got my kershaw dammit, and all things considered he's just about the best pitcher in baseball right now, no matter how much anyone wants to anoint strasburg cuz the MLB/ESPN hype machine told them to.

so yeah man, ryan braun is a grade A angus choice cut top sirloin main course at the fantasy baseball classy restaurant. this guy is trying to throw you more sizzle than steak cuz he's freaking out to the point where he's grouping a bunch of bums together and thinking "man, even if they turn it around and he gets more production i still got braun and with the open slots i can work my waiver wire magic and recoup ~75% of their production, if not more if i get lucky" cuz in yahoo publeagues this year i've already seen people bail on freddie freeman, adam dunn, josh reddick, and others. so if there'sguys of that ilk around the WW, he's thinking he can offset any potential losses with players like that plus good? bad? he's the guy with ryan braun on his team. so basically one way or another he's just trying to cash out all of his big names to get a for-sure productive player in braun and then figure out the rest, and all he needs is a willing partner to do that....

don't be that willing partner. even if braun is technically a rental player of sorts for this season only, you can do better than that. depending on what else is on your roster, you can prolly wing a deal for either hamels/hamilton for other quality players, and maybe even get him to toss in wil myers as the price of doing the business of you taking on a risk with big-name players off to scary-bad starts... if you're gonna give up players who are producing right now for big-name gbuys who are killing fantasy teams almost/singlehandedly right now, let alone together, make sure you get wil myers back.... and for the love of god, make sure you don't give up ryan braun.

take a look @ my thread, would ye?!!?! >> viewtopic.php?t=458983
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do you do this trade with Braun?

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:30 am

Ryan Braun and Gio
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36