2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Sample size warning, but in what's probably been his best month yet, Carpenter boasts a .333 AVG paired with a .315 BABIP, a 6.2 K% (just 4 in 65 PA), and more XBH than singles (10 to 8). I understand the wildly tempered expectations due to the limited upside potential with both HR and SB, but if the guy sticks batting leadoff for the Cardinals, it stands to reason he should be expected to be among the leaders in Runs, and even if he bats .295, if he can approach 17-20 HR as a 2B, that's a guy I'll take on my team gladly. His 9 HR currently puts him 10th among eligible 2B in ESPN. Even if his BABIP stabilizes (and he did carry a similar one through 114 G last season, so despite the major power/speed generally associated, he may be a high BABIP guy, even if it's in the .330 range and not .350), I think he can potentially put up 60 R the rest of the way, 30 RBI, 5 HR, and bat .300. I have no problem slotting that into my 2B spot through October. I don't think those are crazy unrealistic expectations, either, since he could probably eclipse all of them.

In short, I get it. On both sides. I get not wanting to get overly excited about a guy who doesn't project to be super helpful in HR or SB, who has possibly an unsustainable high BABIP. On the other hand, I also think Carpenter could be a guy who becomes very undervalued by the group who believes the aforementioned thought process. This is all, of course, classifying Carpenter as a 2B. Once you start looking at him as a 3B or OF, he becomes a lot less desirable for me due to his peers, and how I generally like to build my teams.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 pm

mac-unit wrote:
footballisbetter.com wrote:is Braun a safe buy now that we now he won't be getting suspended this season?

The only way you were going to buy low was when there was a chance he was going to get suspended.

My "buy low" offer was rejected last week. :-D
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:28 am

bigh0rt wrote:Sample size warning, but in what's probably been his best month yet, Carpenter boasts a .333 AVG paired with a .315 BABIP, a 6.2 K% (just 4 in 65 PA), and more XBH than singles (10 to 8). I understand the wildly tempered expectations due to the limited upside potential with both HR and SB, but if the guy sticks batting leadoff for the Cardinals, it stands to reason he should be expected to be among the leaders in Runs, and even if he bats .295, if he can approach 17-20 HR as a 2B, that's a guy I'll take on my team gladly. His 9 HR currently puts him 10th among eligible 2B in ESPN. Even if his BABIP stabilizes (and he did carry a similar one through 114 G last season, so despite the major power/speed generally associated, he may be a high BABIP guy, even if it's in the .330 range and not .350), I think he can potentially put up 60 R the rest of the way, 30 RBI, 5 HR, and bat .300. I have no problem slotting that into my 2B spot through October. I don't think those are crazy unrealistic expectations, either, since he could probably eclipse all of them.

In short, I get it. On both sides. I get not wanting to get overly excited about a guy who doesn't project to be super helpful in HR or SB, who has possibly an unsustainable high BABIP. On the other hand, I also think Carpenter could be a guy who becomes very undervalued by the group who believes the aforementioned thought process. This is all, of course, classifying Carpenter as a 2B. Once you start looking at him as a 3B or OF, he becomes a lot less desirable for me due to his peers, and how I generally like to build my teams.

I see both sides too. But I just can't think of somebody that is so weak in HR and SB that had any lasting success. Seems like an Ethier/ McGehee type guy with his entire value tied to one fleeting skill. Or to go back a few years, Bill Mueller, the season he won the batting title. Carpenter definitely has great plate discipline, but I'd be interested to check at the end of the season to see how he finishes up compared to where he is now.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 109)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I heartily recommend Ryan Braun as a "Sell Low" candidate. :-t
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby J35J » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm

So, I'm really curious who ended up selling or buying Braun within the last couple weeks?? :-B
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby Ray Zorback » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:59 pm

J35J wrote:So, I'm really curious who ended up selling or buying Braun within the last couple weeks?? :-B

I kept him. I was one of the many that thought the appeal process would drag out.

I dropped him this morning for Morse. :~(
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 234)

Postby wingman3110 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 pm

J35J wrote:So, I'm really curious who ended up selling or buying Braun within the last couple weeks?? :-B

Dealt Braun and Longoria for CarGo and Ellsbury. Worked out for me. Another league I kept him. Didn't work out for me.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby TheTrith » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 pm

In one of my keeper leagues, Braun was traded straight up for Tulo just 3 days ago. Both Braun and Tulo will be be first round keepers if kept.
The Tulo owner is in 3rd place so I have no idea what he was thinking. Really bizarre decision on his part.

2 hours after the announcement I got a text from him: "you interested in Braun?"
followed by: "are Harper and Bautista available?"
TheTrith
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 282)

Postby BravesGuy » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 am

I completed a nice trade on Monday. Traded Michael Cuddyer for McCann and Justin Upton.
The trade was actually proposed to me.
Life is like riding an elevator. It has a lot of ups and downs and someone is always pushing your buttons.

ΠKΦ
BravesGuy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 37)

Postby Ray Zorback » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:31 am

I pulled off a couple of buy lows this week. First I traded Frieri for Greinke. Then I sent Trumbo for King Felix. So now with my extra pitching, I sent Lackey and Lynn for Stanton.

So if you total it all up, I traded Frieri, Trumbo, Lackey, and Lynn for Felix, Greinke, and Stanton.
Ray Zorback
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 234)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers