2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:42 am

kab21 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:there is absolutely no chance in hell I would trade Justin Verlander for the latest flavour of the month who will likely be back to normal eventually.
even if I had multiple aces and desperate for HR, I would consider many more players before I got to Brown. and then even getting to Brown, I would laugh and say uhh no.

Brown currently has 30.2 HR/FB with 34.1 FB%. unlikely to continue. he can be "good", but IMO not elite level production.

If I were doing a seasonal projection right now I would put him in the .280, 20-25HR and 10-15 SB range.

He's a decent HR threat because he pulls the ball down the line and plays in Philly but he really isn't hitting the ball that far (377 avg distance on HRs). Upton is the complete opposite (as one example). He hasn't hit a HR less 400 ft and he has spread them all over the field. this is actually not related to Brown but I was at http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail. ... ype=hitter

I would agree with those full season type projections. but with what he is doing I think some people want to now have Bautista type projections from when he burst threw with the HR a few years ago.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
kab21 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:there is absolutely no chance in hell I would trade Justin Verlander for the latest flavour of the month who will likely be back to normal eventually.
even if I had multiple aces and desperate for HR, I would consider many more players before I got to Brown. and then even getting to Brown, I would laugh and say uhh no.

Brown currently has 30.2 HR/FB with 34.1 FB%. unlikely to continue. he can be "good", but IMO not elite level production.

If I were doing a seasonal projection right now I would put him in the .280, 20-25HR and 10-15 SB range.

He's a decent HR threat because he pulls the ball down the line and plays in Philly but he really isn't hitting the ball that far (377 avg distance on HRs). Upton is the complete opposite (as one example). He hasn't hit a HR less 400 ft and he has spread them all over the field. this is actually not related to Brown but I was at http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail. ... ype=hitter

I would agree with those full season type projections. but with what he is doing I think some people want to now have Bautista type projections from when he burst threw with the HR a few years ago.

Or Chris Shelton, for that matter.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby kab21 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:31 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I would agree with those full season type projections. but with what he is doing I think some people want to now have Bautista type projections from when he burst threw with the HR a few years ago.

He basically defines sell high although he should be a solid player regardless.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:39 pm

rich101682 wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on Starlin Castro? 3rd straight season his OBP has gone down, K% is up, and the power/steals have been nonexistent. He'll be lucky to finish 15/10 at the rate he's going. Anyone think he's a buy low candidate, or should I stay away?

I'd buy low in a dynasty, maybe keeper depending on cost, but probably wouldn't touch him in a redraft unless I could get him for peanuts.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/tbd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Zito is God » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:37 pm

What is Travis Wood's value now? 12/13 QS on the season.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Zito is God wrote:What is Travis Wood's value now? 12/13 QS on the season.

Im still selling him for just about any player i think will start for me for the remainder of the season.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

Im still selling him for just about any player i think will start for me for the remainder of the season.

So am I, although there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:22 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

So am I, although there doesn't seem to be a ton of interest.

Yea I don't think you're going to get much for him. Low K/9 and not a brand name and playing for the Cubs and blah blah blah. I'd take a lot of players for him.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:41 am

I'm sorry but this is a case of isolating a stat and making an argument using it. Wood has a 4.48 xFIP and I think he would be really lucky to post a sub 4.00 ERA for the rest of the season on a crappy team. So far he has been a reliable pitcher but that's only because he has a .212 BAPIP and a 5.6% HR/FB%.

I traded him for Matt Barnes in a dynasty and I am extremely happy with that deal. Especially since I have since added Estrada and Lackey for Joc Pederson, Jorge Polanco and pick 40+ in a 1st yr player draft.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 171)

Postby mac-unit » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:57 am

Domonic Brown was projected with 65+ power by almost every scout who saw him when he was in the minors and some said he could project to 30+ hrs at the major league level. Perfect Game gave him a score of 10.0, he should've never been drafted as low as he was. The only knock was that it was really raw power and he'd have to be able to catch up to the game. This is the player everyone thought he could be. There's no reason he can't be an all star outfielder for the next 5+ years.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers