2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby jgdeutsch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 am

wingman3110 wrote:Possible guys to buy low on that were drafted top 30 that have really struggled: Matt Kemp, Giancarlo Stanton, Buster Posey, and Jason Heyward. All guys who should turn it around very soon IMO.

I bought Kemp for Adrian Gonzalez and A.J. Griffin. Funny thing is the hardest part of that deal for me was giving up Griffin--he's got 2 starts this week and has been red hot. I pray to the god of shoulder injuries to show mercy on Kemp and let him bounce back.

I would add to the sell high mix Austin Jackson. He's been great and I'm sure he'll have a breakout season but his speed is down and he just won't get enough steals to justify his low RBI numbers. Some people call him a 5 tools guy I disagree. Traded him for a buy low Josh Hamilton and Kelvin Herrera.

What do we think about Joe Mauer? Red hot to start the season but when he's healthy he's just like that. This season seems deep for catchers.

Also Carlos Beltran, his toe injury seemed to be doing something to his swing earlier but his power has been raging. Wondering if I should trade him but love him as a power guy who can provide some steals here and there.
jgdeutsch
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:50 pm

You traded Austin Jackson and got in return Josh Hamiliton & Kelvin Herrera!?
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 129)

Postby jgdeutsch » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 pm

wingman3110 wrote:You traded Austin Jackson and got in return Josh Hamiliton & Kelvin Herrera!?

Ah my mistake, I meant I dealt Jackson and Herrera for Hamilton. Bad move?
jgdeutsch
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby abrage22 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Would you..

1) Trade Beltran while you can.
and or
2) Buy low on Cain right now.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby West » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:33 pm

abrage22 wrote:Would you..

1) Trade Beltran while you can.
and or
2) Buy low on Cain right now.

Yes Yes

In my leagues it's too early to buy low on any major contributors (10th round or higher) at this point. People aren't dumb enough to sell off of only 3 weeks of sample size. At that point the difference between a .200 AVG and a .300 AVG is 5 hits rolling through the infield.

However if you can find someone to take the bait, go for it. I moved Ryu and James Russell for Axford in one of my leagues the other day. I think Axford is a good buy because his velocity is back up to 95 and despite the dominance of Henderson everything I've heard from Roenicke thus far indicates he plans to return him to the role. Henderson has been lights out though so it will be a tough call.

Victor Martinez is a great buy right now. No way he doesn't produce in that lineup.

I'd also buy low on:
Heyward, Hamilton, Fellacio Upton. The whole Royals offense is slumping so you should be able to get Hosmer, Moustakas or S. Perez cheaply. Just don't buy all three. Pitchers are pretty obvious: Cain, Gallardo, Hamels, Price.

I'd definitely sell Maholm and Buchholz. I'd hold onto Lester and Harvey.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby lastingsgriller » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:40 pm

I would not sell maholm. This stretch of awesomeness dates back well into last year. It appears that he has figured something out.

Also, eventually people need to realize that yovanni gallardo is not a good pitcher, but instead, a wild pitcher that can't keep the ball down and will always be prone to the 7 run inning on his off nights. If you could only start him on his good nights he'd be great. But, his off nights are, and will always be, horrible.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm also holding onto Maholm, unless I get a really good sell high offer.

I dropped V Mart in a league where I only have 3 bench spots. It is a 2 catcher league and he doesn't qualify at catcher yet, until he gets 5 starts this year. It kind of hurt, since he was a $1 keeper for me, but I was expecting him to be catcher eligible.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Also, eventually people need to realize that yovanni gallardo is not a good pitcher, but instead, a wild pitcher that can't keep the ball down and will always be prone to the 7 run inning on his off nights. If you could only start him on his good nights he'd be great. But, his off nights are, and will always be, horrible.

They most certainly should not realize this because it isn't true. He has gotten off to slow starts at times and you don't want him facing the Cardinals or @Coors but you can say that for most pitchers. Outside of that he is about as reliable as anyone else outside the true stud ace pitchers. He is a pretty strong buy low target if people are starting to think this way~.

He has had 5 or 6 starts of 5 ER+ in each of the past 3 seasons, in most cases he lasted at least 4 innings. Almost half of those starts have been against STL. Outside of the Cardinals his ERA is something like 3.30 since the start of 2010. It is really easy to predict him, just don't pitch him against the Cardinals and you'll like the rest of your results.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Ender wrote:

They most certainly should not realize this because it isn't true. He has gotten off to slow starts at times and you don't want him facing the Cardinals or @Coors but you can say that for most pitchers. Outside of that he is about as reliable as anyone else outside the true stud ace pitchers. He is a pretty strong buy low target if people are starting to think this way~.

He has had 5 or 6 starts of 5 ER+ in each of the past 3 seasons, in most cases he lasted at least 4 innings. Almost half of those starts have been against STL. Outside of the Cardinals his ERA is something like 3.30 since the start of 2010. It is really easy to predict him, just don't pitch him against the Cardinals and you'll like the rest of your results.

Word. So Gallardo has a blow up every now and then. Every pitcher does and Gallardo is no worse than any other pitcher. He's been very consistent the last few years and if you can live with benching him for a bit every April (and vs. STL as Ender said) you really have a solid #2. Regardless of April, his full year stats speak for themselves. He has established himself as a solid #2 with great K numbers.

The jury's still out on Maholm, in my opinion. People are welcome to stick with him. Moving to Atlanta is usually a good thing for SP. If it were me I'd be selling, but I didn't draft him anywhere.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby casem2k2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 am

whats everyones opinion on Mike Moustakas......Decent buy low?
casem2k2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers