2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby OBPlover » Thu May 02, 2013 12:50 am

Surfs up wrote:Would you consider Lester a sell high? Two games in a row he's been back to how he pitched last year. I think I have a chance to trade him for Middlebrooks in my AL only league. Middlebrooks is only 6.00 and Lester is 29.00

Middlebooks is the 3B equivalent of JP arencebia. At times he will look amazing. But due to his free swinging ways and absolutely horrible lack of plate discipline, he really can't excel at average and batting in the bottom of the Red Sox order will hurt his counting stats.

Lester's K/B ratio is decent, not great but decent. He also has a solid HR%. Fenway park of course, will always puts some limits on his success but he is much more likely to pitch closer to his pre-2012 norms.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 131)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OBPlover » Thu May 02, 2013 12:58 am

BJSFAN123 wrote:Cain has been one of the most consistent pitchers over the last 4 years, 3 bad starts in April doesn't really change my opinion of him at all..good buy low for sure. I wasn't a big fan of him this year because he was going too early, but you know what he gives you.

This spike in HR's allowed is worrisome, far above his career average and it's not simply due to bad luck. Something is going wrong. Speculation in SF is that Cain is hurt and is trying to work through it. Hard to say. But I wouldn't be aggressive chasing after Cain as a "buy low" without seeing some definitive signs that his HR's allowed are coming down.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 131)

Postby Ender » Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 am

OBPlover wrote:
BJSFAN123 wrote:Cain has been one of the most consistent pitchers over the last 4 years, 3 bad starts in April doesn't really change my opinion of him at all..good buy low for sure. I wasn't a big fan of him this year because he was going too early, but you know what he gives you.

This spike in HR's allowed is worrisome, far above his career average and it's not simply due to bad luck. Something is going wrong. Speculation in SF is that Cain is hurt and is trying to work through it. Hard to say. But I wouldn't be aggressive chasing after Cain as a "buy low" without seeing some definitive signs that his HR's allowed are coming down.

Against the Brewers at least it was just bad location, he is hanging pitches and they are missing into the strike zone.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby kab21 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:02 am

A dynasty trade in my league: Wheeler, Taveras and Jungman for Stanton and Stratton

The first response from a friend -
And just screw -redacted- for getting Tavares and Wheeler for Stanton. Jesus.

I think the opposite especially considering the team getting rid of Stanton is the returning champ and favored to win this year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 173)

Postby rich101682 » Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 am

kab21 wrote:A dynasty trade in my league: Wheeler, Taveras and Jungman for Stanton and Stratton

The first response from a friend -
And just screw -redacted- for getting Tavares and Wheeler for Stanton. Jesus.

I think the opposite especially considering the team getting rid of Stanton is the returning champ and favored to win this year.

I thought the team getting Stanton was the clear winner there too.
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby wingman3110 » Thu May 02, 2013 11:28 am

Ok, guys that own Bucholz. What're you doing with him? He's the best pitcher in baseball right now. I realize his 1.01 ERA and 0.96 WHIP won't stick but is 18 wins, 2.75 ERA 1.20 WHIP, & 180 strikeouts really that unrealistic at this point??
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 130)

Postby Ender » Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm

I would project him at a 3.7 ERA or something with a 1.3 WHIP or so and 7 K/9 the rest of the way. Adding in what he has already done probably makes that look pretty impressive overall but I will be avoiding him next year if that is what he does.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Ok, guys that own Bucholz. What're you doing with him? He's the best pitcher in baseball right now. I realize his 1.01 ERA and 0.96 WHIP won't stick but is 18 wins, 2.75 ERA 1.20 WHIP, & 180 strikeouts really that unrealistic at this point??

I would like to sell him, but only for the right deal, which is tough. Everyone knows he could've been had very cheap a month ago (late draft pick, WW material), so it's hard to get any real value for what he has done so far. I would be happy to get a top 20 OF for the team I have Buchholz on, but who knows. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby wingman3110 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:19 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Ok, guys that own Bucholz. What're you doing with him? He's the best pitcher in baseball right now. I realize his 1.01 ERA and 0.96 WHIP won't stick but is 18 wins, 2.75 ERA 1.20 WHIP, & 180 strikeouts really that unrealistic at this point??

I would like to sell him, but only for the right deal, which is tough. Everyone knows he could've been had very cheap a month ago (late draft pick, WW material), so it's hard to get any real value for what he has done so far. I would be happy to get a top 20 OF for the team I have Buchholz on, but who knows. Until then, I'm just going to enjoy the ride.

That's what I'm thinking too. Could end up being my best last pick in a draft ever! Mr. Irrelevant will not be so irrelevant lol
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 130)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I think Crawford would be a good player to trade right now, maybe someone sees he is hitting .300 + with 4 homers and 4 steals and thinks he's the Crawford of old, but the Dodgers are being super careful with him and now he's having hamstring problems so I just don't see him running a lot. Maybe wait until he isn't DTD anymore and then unload him.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers