2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby wingman3110 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Welp finally got my first official sell high/buy low of the year.

I sold Chris Davis & Alejandro De Aza and bought Matt Cain & Mike Minor.

I like it for me and definitely feel I won on both players. I got Davis' best month IMO, and am acquiring a stud ace in Cain who has just been unlucky thus far. Plus Minor is just icing on the cake! De Aza was a bench guy for me.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 340)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby J35J » Wed May 01, 2013 1:37 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Welp finally got my first official sell high/buy low of the year.

I like it for me and definitely feel I won on both players. I got Davis' best month IMO, and am acquiring a stud ace in Cain who has just been unlucky thus far. Plus Minor is just icing on the cake! De Aza was a bench guy for me.

Wouldn't surprise me if you regretted that at the end of the year but I've never really been a fan of either Cain or Minor. Not that I love Davis or De Aza but, I'm just not in love with the pitchers either.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby Izenhart » Wed May 01, 2013 1:51 pm

J35J wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Welp finally got my first official sell high/buy low of the year.

Wouldn't surprise me if you regretted that at the end of the year but I've never really been a fan of either Cain or Minor. Not that I love Davis or De Aza but, I'm just not in love with the pitchers either.

I like it for you too if they replace some crap pitchers on your roster and your backup 1B does well. Most times in trades it's not the players traded I regret later... Like last year I had just upgraded my OF to have a Cargo, Upton, Hamilton lineup so I didn't see the point on jumping on either Trout or Harper.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 531)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed May 01, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah I honestly didn't have those two sets of players valued very differently even before the season. But I really like De Aza and not so high on Cain. Obviously Cain's HR/FB rate won't stay that high but the fear is that it won't regress all the way down to 7% like it's been for years, or that he'll start making changes to his approach that he hasn't done before to try to turn things around. All in all it's a decent swap but I don't think there's a clear "winner". Minor has certainly been pretty good so far though, and if he can keep it up you'll come out ahead.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby wingman3110 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:13 pm

I've got Morneau to fill in at 1B for the time being. And like I said De Aza was barely playing for me as he has logged only 28 ABs. Also I really doubt Davis have another month like April but if he does oh well. I now have a staff of Cain, Bumgarner, Latos, Bucholz, Minor, Niese, and Fister. If I need to acquire a 1B or Closer down the road I'm sure I will be able to ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 340)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:22 pm

Cain has been one of the most consistent pitchers over the last 4 years, 3 bad starts in April doesn't really change my opinion of him at all..good buy low for sure. I wasn't a big fan of him this year because he was going too early, but you know what he gives you.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 197)

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed May 01, 2013 5:20 pm

I've seen it mentioned in this thread before, but I'm thinking now is a perfect time to sell high on Carlos Beltran. He's hit a lot of homers recently, has a lot of RBIs, but I'm concerned that he's going to fall apart physically at some point during the season.

What would y'all be trying to get in exchange for him? I've got a very balanced team and no significant areas of need, just want to take the chance to upgrade while the time is ripe. Could either offer him by himself, or with a guy like Sergio Romo or Iwakuma (both of whom are probably a bit overvalued right now).
disgruntledjetsfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rich101682 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:22 pm

Is someone like Josh Hamilton even worth buying low on? There's a frustrated owner in my keeper league that would probably trade him to me for Brett Lawrie/decent SP, but I don't even know if it's worth doing at this point, especially after reading this:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/josh-ham ... o-oblivion

(FYI, I have Todd Frazier to fill in for Lawrie at 3B and a bunch of SP depth)
rich101682
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 92)

Postby Surfs up » Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 pm

Would you consider Lester a sell high? Two games in a row he's been back to how he pitched last year. I think I have a chance to trade him for Middlebrooks in my AL only league. Middlebrooks is only 6.00 and Lester is 29.00
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 266)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed May 01, 2013 10:18 pm

I'm riding Chris Davis all year in my league but of course, I had Eric Hosmer as my primary 1B for like 2 days. :-o
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers