2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 am

Maybe a little early still but we are almost 3 weeks in the season and some owners may be getting antsy with some slow starting players.

Discuss ;-D
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Buy Low/Sell High thread

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:07 am

Possible guys to buy low on that were drafted top 30 that have really struggled: Matt Kemp, Giancarlo Stanton, Buster Posey, and Jason Heyward. All guys who should turn it around very soon IMO.

Possible sell high guys: John Buck, Chris Davis, Jed Lowrie. Obviously depends on who you can get in return for these guys but not sure they can all keep up what they are doing at the moment.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby UMTerp29 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 am

Possible buy low: Kyle Seager - He's off to a slow start with 5/0/5/0/.217. He should be good for about 15 hr and 10 sb by the end of the year and with dual eligibility 2b/3b should at least be a decent bench player that can be had for cheap right now.
UMTerp29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:23 am

Buy low - struggling vets under age 30 who don't have a consistent track record. Guys like Asdrubal Cabrera. Pay for the weaker end version of him and have the higher end version there as your upside.

Sell high - unproven pitchers having great starts. Guys like Matt Harvey and Jeff Samardzija. Just make sure you are actually selling high, you need to be trading them for something a good 2 or 3 rounds higher than where you drafted them. It is ok if you end up losing on a sell high deal as long as you are locking your value in with a proven commodity. Selling high is about locking in value, it isn't about chasing upside. You already got a great 4 starts and pumped up the long term value of these players, if you can lock in sure thing value 2 or 3 rounds above where you drafted them you already won big without the downside risk from the unproven player.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I own Shelby Miller and I'm thinking of selling high on him but not sure what kind of value to look for in return.

Heyward is probably a good buy low, I own him since he was my keeper so I lost a 8th rounder for him, but I'm pretty worried about him right now. I feel like I shouldn't even be starting him against lefties. I also wasn't very high on him, but had to have him as my keeper since I only lost a 8th round pick for him.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 pm

I was wondering when this thread would show up.

Matt Kemp might be a buy low, but I'm concerned. how is his shoulder?

Giancarlo Stanton might also be a buy low. I expect the power will be there, but I'm not expecting R/RBI that will be that good, for what you would expect from a 35+ HR hitter.

sell high:
-Dexter Fowler. already at 7 HR. I doubt the power continues. he has 50.0 HR/FB.

buy low:
-Billy Butler. he has .225 AVG, but .233 BABIP.
-Mike Moustakas. he has .178 AVG, but .211 BABIP.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Buy low on Ryan Zimmerman? I own him and would honestly give him up for a much lesser player at this point just to be rid of the headache.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:43 pm

rjforlife wrote:Buy low on Ryan Zimmerman? I own him and would honestly give him up for a much lesser player at this point just to be rid of the headache.

this is probably the best feedback people can give about buy low. Guys they feel they would actually sell low, then if someone really believes in the guy they are obvious buy low targets. I think I might sell low on Moustokas but I wasn't huge on him to begin with. I sort of settled for him on one team.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:35 pm

It's probably a good time to sell high on Kris Medlen. His 2012 was not nearly as good as it looked. The stats were great but the competition he faced was dreadful. So far in 3 starts he's only allowed 3 runs, but has 9 Ks and 6 BBs. He had more walks than strikeouts in each of his first two games, including one against the Marlins. Not a good sign. If you have him on your team you probably believe his great 2012 is a sign of things to come, but it would be wise to cash in right now.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby Element » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:40 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Matt Kemp might be a buy low, but I'm concerned. how is his shoulder?

I still think that you'd need overpay at this point. I'd assume that he'll continue to struggle as he build his strength back up, His swing looks horrible right now. I would target him in another 3-4 weeks if things haven't turned about by then.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers