4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Man, Mets fans actually get something to be excited about and they're going a bit overboard haha. Harvey wasn't even the best pitcher out there tonight including the other MLB games going on.

There's no overboard. Through three weeks of games he's probably been the best pitcher in the entire MLB. I have no illusions of him holding that pace, and expect some hiccups along the way, maybe even some major stretches of struggle. It's expected from any young guy. But he's got the goods. Four legitimate pitches that he can throw for strikes. He worked the lineup very well, overpowering his fastball the first time through and mixing in more early breaking pitches in subsequent times through. He has the potential to be something special, and for the time being he's showing glimpses of it. Tonight was probably the least impressive of his four starts this season, as well, which is saying quite a bit. He has legitimate Ace written all over him.

Its okay. I was all over Fausto Carmona back in 2007 and thought he was the next up and coming pitcher...turned out he wasn't even real. Are we sure Matt Harvey is actually Matt Harvey??
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 pm

wingman3110 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
wingman3110 wrote:Man, Mets fans actually get something to be excited about and they're going a bit overboard haha. Harvey wasn't even the best pitcher out there tonight including the other MLB games going on.

There's no overboard. Through three weeks of games he's probably been the best pitcher in the entire MLB. I have no illusions of him holding that pace, and expect some hiccups along the way, maybe even some major stretches of struggle. It's expected from any young guy. But he's got the goods. Four legitimate pitches that he can throw for strikes. He worked the lineup very well, overpowering his fastball the first time through and mixing in more early breaking pitches in subsequent times through. He has the potential to be something special, and for the time being he's showing glimpses of it. Tonight was probably the least impressive of his four starts this season, as well, which is saying quite a bit. He has legitimate Ace written all over him.

Its okay. I was all over Fausto Carmona back in 2007 and thought he was the next up and coming pitcher...turned out he wasn't even real. Are we sure Matt Harvey is actually Matt Harvey??
There was mountains of indicators that Carmona was pitching well over his head and unsustainable. On these very boards. Extremely low K/9, a K/BB of barely 2, so on and so forth. And this wasn't after the fact. This was during his 2007 campaign. I think it's apples and oranges. A more relevant question is whether or not Harvey has lapses where he looks like Brandon Morrow, or if he's as volatile and unpredictable as him. He's much more dominant than Carmona ever was.

As a fan, I hope we ultimately see the ceiling of what could be. Being a realist, and somebody who has witnessed countless talents squander in Flushing Meadows, I'm not quite as optimistic. Still, he's done nothing this season but look very impressive, the least of which was tonight, where he still kept National bats off balance for seven innings and got himself out of a jam in the seventh.

Ender wrote:I think Harvey is going to be a really good pitcher, I think his future is as a true ace. I think going all crazy over him from less than a month of this season is going overboard. He definitely has command problems, he still is in his first tour of the league. The rest of his season results could be all over the map, you don't know what is going to come.
If he doesn't win the Cy Young this year it will be because he was robbed. Period. Also I have no idea what you're talking about going overboard.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:39 pm

Oh, let Mets fans have their fun.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Oh, let Mets fans have their fun.

Matt Harvey single-handedly took down Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 pm

Yeah sooner or later they'll trade him for Victor Zambrano
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Element » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:04 pm

AussieDodger wrote:

Yeah sooner or later they'll trade him for Victor Zambrano

Doh! :-b
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby Element » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 pm

Jean Segura nearly stole 2nd base twice in the same inning ... :-?
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Element wrote:Jean Segura nearly stole 2nd base twice in the same inning ... :-?

Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Harvey's no Dickey.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:03 am

I like how the first base coach puts on the stop sign so he doesn't round first and head for home.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers