4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Ike Davis- Please continue hitting home runs like this. 1-4 or 1-5 is fine if it's a HR.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:43 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Matt Harvey doubters - just get the replay of the 7th inning and realize how special this guy is.

I love Harvey but getting Suzuki/Bernardina/Span out isn't exactly running through too much talent.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: Re: 4/19-4/21 Cheering, Venting, & HARVEY vs. STRASBURG

Postby garf112 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 pm

rjforlife wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Matt Harvey doubters - just get the replay of the 7th inning and realize how special this guy is.

I love Harvey but getting Suzuki/Bernardina/Span out isn't exactly running through too much talent.

Give me a break.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:52 pm

UMTerp29 wrote:Halladay stringing together 2 solid starts in a row, this one against a much better StL team. How does he look tonight? Is this a good opportunity to try and sell?

Looked more like normal Halladay than anything I've seen in a long time. Threw regular strikes, induced regular weak contact, wasn't as completely reliant on his breaking stuff. If he throws like that, he'll be a good starter still. Still, we're not talking about the dominating pitcher from 2008-2011 right now. We probably won't be unless he starts throwing 92-93 with great command again.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm

rjforlife wrote:

Getting out of a bases loaded, no out jam by getting 3 consecutive guys out without surrendering a run in the process is impressive no matter how you slice it. Not to mention he was definitely fighting fatigue, his breaking stuff not biting as much, and his fastball maxing at 96 instead of the 97-98 it routinely touched earlier in the game. If you just saw the stat line it may not appear inspiring, just like it doesn't paint the picture of how bad Strasburg was tonight. But it was very impressive to watch such a green pitcher keep composure and make his pitches like that. The strikeout on Suzuki was most impressive.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Man, Mets fans actually get something to be excited about and they're going a bit overboard haha. Harvey wasn't even the best pitcher out there tonight including the other MLB games going on.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 125)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:58 pm

I watched the whole game, and Strasburg was crap. Harvey was excellent, but you guys are gaga over him. I understand you're Mets fans and I'm happy you've got a guy to root for like Harvey. I meant no ill feelings towards him.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I wasn't as impressed by Harvey as others either. The Nationals swung at a ton of pitches out of the zone tonight and let him off the hook with what was some pretty shady command. Now if this was just a 'poor' game for him that resulted in a great stat line I'm really impressed with him. One of the biggest marks of an elite pitcher is being able to have a good stat line with your bad stuff. Estrada as an example had his bad stuff tonight and went 6 IP, 3 ER against a bad offense. Not all that impressive but much better than say Morrow who had a disaster start with his bad stuff.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:02 pm

wingman3110 wrote:Man, Mets fans actually get something to be excited about and they're going a bit overboard haha. Harvey wasn't even the best pitcher out there tonight including the other MLB games going on.

There's no overboard. Through three weeks of games he's probably been the best pitcher in the entire MLB. I have no illusions of him holding that pace, and expect some hiccups along the way, maybe even some major stretches of struggle. It's expected from any young guy. But he's got the goods. Four legitimate pitches that he can throw for strikes. He worked the lineup very well, overpowering his fastball the first time through and mixing in more early breaking pitches in subsequent times through. He has the potential to be something special, and for the time being he's showing glimpses of it. Tonight was probably the least impressive of his four starts this season, as well, which is saying quite a bit. He has legitimate Ace written all over him.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm

There's no overboard. Through three weeks of games he's probably been the best pitcher in the entire MLB

Top 12 pitchers in 2010 by ERA.

Pelfrey
Jiminez
Livan
Liriano
Garcia
Lincecum
Zito
Danks
Penny
Fister
Silva

Top 15 by xFIP included Randy Wells, Shawn Marcum, Jorge De La Rosa and Rickey Romero.

I think Harvey is going to be a really good pitcher, I think his future is as a true ace. I think going all crazy over him from less than a month of this season is going overboard. He definitely has command problems, he still is in his first tour of the league. The rest of his season results could be all over the map, you don't know what is going to come.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers