Dynasty Buy: Michael Wacha - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dynasty Buy: Michael Wacha

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty Buy: Michael Wacha

Postby WebHamster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 am

This week I am taking a look at Michael Wacha of the St. Louis Cardinals. Wacha is a 21-year-old pitcher at Triple-A Memphis who turned a lot of heads this spring by compiling an excellent 15/1 K/BB over 11 2/3 scoreless innings. He gets overlooked since he’s in the Cardinal system. Shelby Miller received [...]

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2013 ... _wacha.php
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 742)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty Buy: Michael Wacha

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:01 am

yes, his numbers last year were ridiculous but it was also only 21IP across 3 levels starting at rk ball. I need to see a little more before I get really excited about him although I was really bummed when he was picked one spot ahead of me. the one big knock on his scouting report is that he only has a good fastball and changeup. the curveball is considered below average by some.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 159)

Postby J35J » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am

kab21 wrote:yes, his numbers last year were ridiculous but it was also only 21IP across 3 levels starting at rk ball. I need to see a little more before I get really excited about him although I was really bummed when he was picked one spot ahead of me. the one big knock on his scouting report is that he only has a good fastball and changeup. the curveball is considered below average by some.

Well fastball and change are the 2 pitches I'd want my starters to have a good foundation with...I think a curve, slider, split, cutter or whatever will be easier to learn than learning and refining a good change. With that said, I've not seen Wacha pitch yet so I can't really comment any further...the numbers do look solid though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

Postby Fade2White12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:04 pm

I'll disagree with the premise of this article - that he's a dynasty buy. I think he's more of a sell, if anything.

Wacha has a very high floor considering that he already has very good command and two very good pitches. However, he's going to stick with that curveball, which projects as no better than average. His two best pitches are indeed very good, but definitely not elite. His FB does have room to grow, especially considering the increase in velocity when he was stretched out as a reliever, but it doesn't have a ton of movement and I doubt he's able to stay in the mid-90s with it while a starter full-time. That being said, his "stuff" as a whole doesn't project him as having tremendous upside. Most scouting reports I've read have his ceiling as a #3 SP. Solid, but nothing spectacular.

Considering his showing in spring training and the hype that he's garnered (like ridiculous statements I've read where fantasy players would rather have Wacha over fellow prospects with considerably better stuff than him), I think his value is much higher than his potential should indicate. John Sickels has him ranked #34 8-o, and I think it's wise to capitalize on that hype. When I'm gambling on young MiLB arms, I'd much rather bite on a player with ace upside, but maybe that's just me.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Return to Baseball Leftovers