Tips on Creating Fun Keeper League? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tips on Creating Fun Keeper League? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tips on Creating Fun Keeper League? WHIR

Postby HIMYMlegend » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:29 am

So, I just joined my first ever keeper league this season and it is very fun. Now, I'm looking to join more and want to be the commissioner for one. I am looking for tips/suggestions on how to make the best league that is the most fun and most fair. I will be doing this through Yahoo.

What should I do for draft type? I'm thinking Auction.
Type of League? Points
What should I do for number of players? I'm thinking 30 with 5 DL spots and 1 N/A spot. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, INF, INF, LF, CF, RF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, P
How many teams? I would like up to 20, at least 16
Scoring Settings: What should I do? This is the big question?

Fun Factor? How do I do this?
Fair Factor? How do I do this?
HIMYMlegend
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tips on Creating Fun Keeper League? WHIR

Postby Fantasy Angel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm

HIMYMlegend wrote:So, I just joined my first ever keeper league this season and it is very fun. Now, I'm looking to join more and want to be the commissioner for one. I am looking for tips/suggestions on how to make the best league that is the most fun and most fair. I will be doing this through Yahoo.

What should I do for draft type? I'm thinking Auction.
Type of League? Points
What should I do for number of players? I'm thinking 30 with 5 DL spots and 1 N/A spot. C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, INF, INF, LF, CF, RF, OF, OF, UTIL, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, P
How many teams? I would like up to 20, at least 16
Scoring Settings: What should I do? This is the big question?

Fun Factor? How do I do this?
Fair Factor? How do I do this?

Auction is the most fair and takes the most skill. Snake is easier. My vote - Auction
I like ROTO with OBP and QS instead of Avg and Wins, but Points are good too. Just make sure the rules are clear before the league drafts.
The Yahoo standard league is good because it allows some Waiver Wire work. Large Roster do encourage trading. - Your call.
20 for a dynasty is large IMHO. I would shoot for 12 or 14 tops
The default ROTO scoring is good. Unless you see some advantage in changing it.
The Fantasy Angel
Play like a Girl
Fantasy Angel
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:49 pm

I played only Roto for 20 years. Both Auction and Draft leagues. Each have their own appeal for different reasons. Like was said above, Auction takes more skill. About three years ago, I finally played in a H2H Category League. It is so much more fun than Roto. If you have a bad week, there is always next week to try and win. Roto is like a marathon and does not hold a lot of excitement as the season progresses. Definately try H2H Category, you won't be sorry.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby mkultra » Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 am

If you're going the auction route with a keeper league, I recommend doing the first year as a redraft unless all the managers are used to the auction format. If you've never done it, it's a lot easier to screw yourself by not paying attention, as opposed to snake drafts where you have more control over your picks. We did this for the dynasty league I commish and it was a big help.

Personally, I dislike separate CF/LF/RF slots, as the distinction between player eligibility at each OF spot is a pain to track. That's another reason to start with redraft- the farther you go from "standard" formats, the more likely you'll want to make adjustments before locking in rules for keepers, which you don't want to change mid-stream.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Thin.Blue.Line » Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am

If this is a pay league... you should do what I do and pay out for Team of the Week. TOTW is the team that scores the most points each week. This allows those teams who are out of it to still have something to manage for. We do a dollar per team per week. This is our first year so we only have 8 teams.. so its $8 a week. Not much but win a few and it adds up.
"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." -Rogers Hornsby
Thin.Blue.Line
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 7)

Postby pjalst » Mon May 13, 2013 11:44 am

What settings you choose is a matter of preference. Some like H2H, some like Roto, some like points. The same goes for Auction, redraft or keeper/dynasty style. What makes the league is the owners. League settings won't matter if you have inactive, nonexperienced complainers. Finding the right mix can take a few years. I run an auction style, 12 team, 5X5, dynasty with contracts and a farm system. I have very low turnover(anywhere from 0-2 per year).

It's easy to remain active when you are one of the top teams, that's why I like to target active knowledgable owners with horable teams. If an owner remains active even though his team sucks, thats the owner I want in my league. I play in 5 different leagues. This allows me to gauge the activity and knowledge of various owners and send out invites to those owners when I am looking for potential league members.

Help please:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=460580
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 72)

Return to Commissioner's Corner