Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 pm

The Julio Borbon situation confuses me. I'm surprised that the Rangers couldn't get anything for him, and he seemed to make a lot of sense for the Twins.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 274)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kab21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:04 pm

I think they expect to get him in waivers since they are #2 in priority behind the astros. He does make a lot of sense for the Twins even before Mastro went to the DL. They have almost no decent options in CF if Hicks is sent down.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 517)

Postby jackie hayes » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm

That seems risky to me. The Astros have been rumored to be interested. Or, if another team is interested (Orioles or Mets), they might take him just to use as a trade piece.

Which would be strange -- why not just do a trade with the Rangers in the first place? Maybe a better match? I don't know.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bayside » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:44 am

SpecialFNK wrote:it didn't need to be Arcia that was called up. they could have called up Billy Joe Bob Randy Smith. I'm not saying that is the name of someone, just a made up name because it wouldn't have mattered who was called up if it was only for 1 or 2 games. it could have been some 30+ year old fringe minor league player to come up and just sit on the bench. Arcia wasn't NEEDED to start. Willingham got the night off last night, along with Hicks.
I don't think it was necessary to do anything that might stop Arcia's rhythm early on in the minor league season.
I think there should be some type of rule, where if a team calls up a player from the minors it has to be like 5 days before he can be sent down. I'm pretty sure there is a number of days rule the other way, where a player sent down can't be called up for X number of days.

what in the world are you talking about?
as explained several times already, this whole situation is meaninglesss
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby mac-unit » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:26 am

jackie hayes wrote:That seems risky to me. The Astros have been rumored to be interested. Or, if another team is interested (Orioles or Mets), they might take him just to use as a trade piece.

Which would be strange -- why not just do a trade with the Rangers in the first place? Maybe a better match? I don't know.

The rangers want a starting pitcher who still has options if they trade him. So it's not like they're giving him away.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 114)

Postby jackie hayes » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 am

mac-unit wrote:
jackie hayes wrote:That seems risky to me. The Astros have been rumored to be interested. Or, if another team is interested (Orioles or Mets), they might take him just to use as a trade piece.

The rangers want a starting pitcher who still has options if they trade him. So it's not like they're giving him away.

Except that they are giving him away, now. The DFA period when they could trade him expired and he's now on waivers.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:18 pm

bayside wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:it didn't need to be Arcia that was called up. they could have called up Billy Joe Bob Randy Smith. I'm not saying that is the name of someone, just a made up name because it wouldn't have mattered who was called up if it was only for 1 or 2 games. it could have been some 30+ year old fringe minor league player to come up and just sit on the bench. Arcia wasn't NEEDED to start. Willingham got the night off last night, along with Hicks.
I don't think it was necessary to do anything that might stop Arcia's rhythm early on in the minor league season.
I think there should be some type of rule, where if a team calls up a player from the minors it has to be like 5 days before he can be sent down. I'm pretty sure there is a number of days rule the other way, where a player sent down can't be called up for X number of days.

what in the world are you talking about?
as explained several times already, this whole situation is meaninglesss

Aricia was originally called up just because Wilkin Ramirez was on paternity leave. that was for 1 day. then after that 1 day, Arcia was sent down.
last year Arcia started in A+ and then went to AA. this year he started the season in AAA where he played 10 games. I don't know exactly what level of prospect Arcia is, but from what I read he is one of their top prospects. it just doesn't seem like a good thing to be jerking around a developing prospect up and down and up and down.
it would seem with the initial call up that they were not expecting him to be around long, only up while Wilkin was out, then he (Arcia) would be sent back down, where they would expect him to remain. I imagine he only came back up the 2nd time because Mastrowhatever went on the DL.
when the Twins initially wanted a player just to fill the roster spot of Wilkin, I would think it wasn't the right time to call up a developing prospect who IMO should be kept in rhythm and continuing to develop.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 512)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers