Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Oswaldo Arcia is getting called up tomorrow.
The Twins are expected to promote Oswaldo Arcia on Monday.
He'll take the roster spot of Wilkin Ramirez, who is on paternity leave. Baseball America's No. 41 prospect going into the season, Arcia is batting .414 with three home runs in nine games for Triple-A Rochester this season. He's only supposed to be up until Ramirez returns, but if he makes a big impression, it's possible the Twins could change their mind and let him battle it out with Chris Parmelee for playing time in right field.

I would assume once he comes up that he isn't coming up to sit on the bench, and will start?
maybe the Twins could play him over fellow rookie Aaron Hicks? Hicks is hitting, or more so NOT hitting this season.
10 games, 43 AB - .047/.109/.047/.155/ 3 BB/ 20 K/ 0 SB
something has to change, it doesn't look like he's ready.

what projections could there be for Arcia?

minor league statistics.
13 AAA - 9 games, 29 AB - .414/.485/.793/1.278/ 3 HR
12 AA - 69 games, 262 AB -.328/.398/.557/.955/ 10 HR
12 A+ - 55 games, 207 AB - .309/.376/.517/.893/ 7 HR

EDIT: I read that Arcia is corner OF, rather than CF. so he can't take the position of Hicks, and the only other option for Hicks would be Mastroianni?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Oswaldo Arcia up with the Twins

Postby kab21 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:47 pm

Arcia is only getting called up for 3 days while Wilkin Ramirez is on paternity leave. He's not really worth an add although I hope he plays at least 2 of the games (possible snow...).

This kid can mash though and he will be up for good this summer when one of Morneau/Willingham get traded. Or when one of Mauer/Doumit/Morneau/Willingham/Parmelee get injured (position shuffling required).

The Twins are in a really tough position with Hicks. I thought he would struggle but this is truly awful. Unfortunately Mastroanni is dinged up (sprained ankle) and Benson has barely been better than Hicks in AAA. Julio Borbon (DFA'd by the Rangers) makes a lot of sense for the Twins since he can hold down the fort and function as a really good 4th OF'er when Hicks gets another chance.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby WongDizzel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:41 am

aaaaaaand he's gone. sent back down
WongDizzel
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:37 am

so much for my hype on this guy.
doesn't this seem stupid by the Twins? call up a top prospect who is killing it in the minors to start the season, and it's only for 1 game. yet Aaron Hicks who clearly isn't ready has continued to get AB. I saw this over at razzball.
Those 20Ks tie a MLB record for a player’s first 10 games.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mac-unit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:14 am

Why would they waste an option like that? Arcia should be starting in CF right now because Hicks clearly wasn't ready to make the jump from AA
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 am

mac-unit wrote:Why would they waste an option like that? Arcia should be starting in CF right now because Hicks clearly wasn't ready to make the jump from AA

Arcia is not a CF'er. Something needs to be done about Hicks but Arcia is not the answer at all.

They didn't waste an option. They already used the option in spring training and they simply needed an OF'er. They only had 3 OF options in AAA that are on the 40 man roster. Arcia, Benson (hitting almost as bad as Hicks) and Herrmann (their catcher sometimes). So they gave Arcia his brief cup of coffee. It also would have been 2 games if they hadn't been snowed out.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:02 am

it didn't need to be Arcia that was called up. they could have called up Billy Joe Bob Randy Smith. I'm not saying that is the name of someone, just a made up name because it wouldn't have mattered who was called up if it was only for 1 or 2 games. it could have been some 30+ year old fringe minor league player to come up and just sit on the bench. Arcia wasn't NEEDED to start. Willingham got the night off last night, along with Hicks.
I don't think it was necessary to do anything that might stop Arcia's rhythm early on in the minor league season.
I think there should be some type of rule, where if a team calls up a player from the minors it has to be like 5 days before he can be sent down. I'm pretty sure there is a number of days rule the other way, where a player sent down can't be called up for X number of days.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 am

I don't know how he will do but that has to be a made up name right? Is he in the witness protection program?
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mac-unit » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:16 am

kab21 wrote:
mac-unit wrote:Why would they waste an option like that? Arcia should be starting in CF right now because Hicks clearly wasn't ready to make the jump from AA

Arcia is not a CF'er. Something needs to be done about Hicks but Arcia is not the answer at all.

They didn't waste an option. They already used the option in spring training and they simply needed an OF'er. They only had 3 OF options in AAA that are on the 40 man roster. Arcia, Benson (hitting almost as bad as Hicks) and Herrmann (their catcher sometimes). So they gave Arcia his brief cup of coffee. It also would have been 2 games if they hadn't been snowed out.

He played 77 minor league games there. I'm sure he'd be serviceable enough in the field for one season. His CF defense would hurt the team a lot less than Aaron Hicks at the plate right now.
mac-unit
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 am

SpecialFNK wrote:it didn't need to be Arcia that was called up. they could have called up Billy Joe Bob Randy Smith. I'm not saying that is the name of someone, just a made up name because it wouldn't have mattered who was called up if it was only for 1 or 2 games. it could have been some 30+ year old fringe minor league player to come up and just sit on the bench. Arcia wasn't NEEDED to start. Willingham got the night off last night, along with Hicks.
I don't think it was necessary to do anything that might stop Arcia's rhythm early on in the minor league season.
I think there should be some type of rule, where if a team calls up a player from the minors it has to be like 5 days before he can be sent down. I'm pretty sure there is a number of days rule the other way, where a player sent down can't be called up for X number of days.

Do you even understand the situation at all?

It needed to be someone on the 40 man roster. Benson has been awful and has a nagging injury. Herrmann is one of their 2 catchers (Butera is injured). Other healthy position players include Santana (AA SS) and Pinto (AA C). It pretty much had to be Arcia unless they were going to put someone on the 40 man through waivers for a 2-3 day callup.

I'm also not sure you understand the paternity leave list. Players can miss up to 3 days and then they have to be back. That means that Arcia had to be sent down. That's how it works.
Last edited by kab21 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers