Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cingrani Time!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby hondo4mvp » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
hondo4mvp wrote:
rjforlife wrote:

If anything, I imagine he would be sent down to work on secondary offerings, not relegated to the bullpen.

Good point.He's too valuable to be a long term setup man and I guess that other guy has the closer job locked up for awhile.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 pm

rjforlife wrote:Just finished watching the game on replay and it was very interesting.

1. He looks like Chris Sale, without the slider. This is not a great thing because the slider is what makes Sale deadly.

2. He has excellent control. In general, Mesoraco did not have to move the glove when he put it on a good spot. He missed high/low but rarely out over the plate.

3. As I'm sure you all have read, he ONLY throws fastballs. It is a good fastball, sitting at 93, but it doesn't have a ton of movement.

4. He has a bit of an odd delivery which adds a nice bit of deception, but that could easily dry up after seeing a team a couple of times or just a couple of times through the order.

5. The Marlins are a very poor hitting team, so I would like to see him against a bit better competition, but for his first big league start on short notice, he performed admirably. With the Cincy offense, he could win some games if he can pitch 6+ innings.

In summary, the kid has good some potential, but he needs to develop his curve a bit, he only threw it a couple of times but it did have some bite to it, he just had little control over it. I think he could be a nice add short-term, but if you can spin him in a trade with some value, I would do it because he is going to get lit up in one of his next couple of starts if he faces a good offense or team that can hit fastballs.

I've read his control isn't that good. Interesting thing for me is that he is still able to K people in Triple-A at a ridiculous rate. Small sample size. It is my understanding that Triple-A hitters are able to hit fastballs and that what they have problem hitting are the breaking pitches. Cingrani was still throwing basically only fastballs in Triple-A and still having crazy success.

I'm curious to know what happens with this guy. I hope the Reds send him down again so that he could work on a secondary pitch.

As for fantasy purposes. He gets the Cubs next. I'd definitely start him in H2H for the Ks and the W. I might sit him in roto and see how the start goes. If you picked him up, you are probably better off holding on to him in a redraft. No owner will trade for a guy who might get sent down after a few starts and the potential for huge K numbers is too big to trade him away for a bench player.

In dynasty, I would try and trade him while everyone is hyping the kid.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby rjforlife » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Pitched extremely well again, and with his superb control, he managed to strikeout nine and walk none. He looked much more comfortable out there and improved nicely. He gets Washington next, so it should be a bit better test, although they have been crap hitting lately, and two of their better hitters (LaRoche/Harper) are lefties. I will still be sending him out there, though I have to as I am in a weekly league.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Yeah I started him this week too in my weekly H2H league. I'm shopping him to the leagues Red's fan who always drafts all the young up and comers. I didn't aim super high, asking for an upgrade from Ackley to Seager for my MI. I figure in a H2H league I just can't see Cingrani being around for the playoffs so I don't need to get massive value for him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BJSFAN123 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Ender wrote:Yeah I started him this week too in my weekly H2H league. I'm shopping him to the leagues Red's fan who always drafts all the young up and comers. I didn't aim super high, asking for an upgrade from Ackley to Seager for my MI. I figure in a H2H league I just can't see Cingrani being around for the playoffs so I don't need to get massive value for him.

Funny, I'm doing the same thing..this guy was pissed when I found out the Cingrani news before him and grabbed him. I'm sure after tonight's start he is willing to overpay for him.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 pm

Same boat here, Cingrani is a perfect sweetener to a deal for a little upgrade somewhere.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cingrani Time!

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:07 pm

I haven't read this whole thread, so don't shoot me if we already talked about this.. But, I was watching tonight and his fastball is anywhere from 87-94 mph and he seems throw it 2-3 mph different than the last every time. Either he is outrageously inconsistent or very clever. Anyways, it really seems to keep hitters off balance.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby rjforlife » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:09 pm

He's clever. Very clever.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BChinly » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:10 pm

Would you rather have Cingrani or Jose Fernandez in a dynasty?
BChinly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 116)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Jose Fernandez. It's not even close IMO.

Fernandez has a plus-plus fastball and a very good curveball. More complete pitcher.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers