Just finished watching the game on replay and it was very interesting.
1. He looks like Chris Sale, without the slider. This is not a great thing because the slider is what makes Sale deadly.
2. He has excellent control. In general, Mesoraco did not have to move the glove when he put it on a good spot. He missed high/low but rarely out over the plate.
3. As I'm sure you all have read, he ONLY throws fastballs. It is a good fastball, sitting at 93, but it doesn't have a ton of movement.
4. He has a bit of an odd delivery which adds a nice bit of deception, but that could easily dry up after seeing a team a couple of times or just a couple of times through the order.
5. The Marlins are a very poor hitting team, so I would like to see him against a bit better competition, but for his first big league start on short notice, he performed admirably. With the Cincy offense, he could win some games if he can pitch 6+ innings.
In summary, the kid has good some potential, but he needs to develop his curve a bit, he only threw it a couple of times but it did have some bite to it, he just had little control over it. I think he could be a nice add short-term, but if you can spin him in a trade with some value, I would do it because he is going to get lit up in one of his next couple of starts if he faces a good offense or team that can hit fastballs.
Goldy is King.