Cingrani Time! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cingrani Time!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:I'm not counting on Cingrani being more than a guy who is going to get maybe a small handful of starts on my team. Everything I read about him paints him as a guy who is overly reliant on his fastball (which is albeit, very good), and still needs a third offering before he can be a reliable pitcher every fifth day. I like him against the Marlins, sure, but wouldn't be surprised if that's the first and last time he starts for me (okay if he pitches well against the Marlins I'd trot him out again depending on the opponent, but you get my drift). Basically, don't go dropping someone you intend on being on your roster the rest of the way, because it's unlikely that Cingrani is going to be. That's how I'm proceeding at least.

Agreed. It's why I only targeted him in deeper leagues. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3262
(Past Year: 159)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:56 pm

As an aside, Cingrani is a pretty sweet name.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24643
(Past Year: 817)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby rotoquest » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:10 pm

RedHopeful wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm not counting on Cingrani being more than a guy who is going to get maybe a small handful of starts on my team. Everything I read about him paints him as a guy who is overly reliant on his fastball (which is albeit, very good), and still needs a third offering before he can be a reliable pitcher every fifth day. I like him against the Marlins, sure, but wouldn't be surprised if that's the first and last time he starts for me (okay if he pitches well against the Marlins I'd trot him out again depending on the opponent, but you get my drift). Basically, don't go dropping someone you intend on being on your roster the rest of the way, because it's unlikely that Cingrani is going to be. That's how I'm proceeding at least.

Agreed. It's why I only targeted him in deeper leagues. ;-D


I'm a little more optimistic or delusional...because its been stated that Cueto will miss at least about 4 starts. So figure around May 10th the earliest. By then, Leake will be viewed as the weakest link and Cingrani stays up and develops in the bigs. Not out of the realm of possibilities.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 1648
(Past Year: 256)
Joined: 18 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:32 pm

rotoquest wrote:
RedHopeful wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'm not counting on Cingrani being more than a guy who is going to get maybe a small handful of starts on my team. Everything I read about him paints him as a guy who is overly reliant on his fastball (which is albeit, very good), and still needs a third offering before he can be a reliable pitcher every fifth day. I like him against the Marlins, sure, but wouldn't be surprised if that's the first and last time he starts for me (okay if he pitches well against the Marlins I'd trot him out again depending on the opponent, but you get my drift). Basically, don't go dropping someone you intend on being on your roster the rest of the way, because it's unlikely that Cingrani is going to be. That's how I'm proceeding at least.

Agreed. It's why I only targeted him in deeper leagues. ;-D


I'm a little more optimistic or delusional...because its been stated that Cueto will miss at least about 4 starts. So figure around May 10th the earliest. By then, Leake will be viewed as the weakest link and Cingrani stays up and develops in the bigs. Not out of the realm of possibilities.

I've never seen the guy pitch, but everything I read suggests that this is a real long shot right now. FanGraphs pegs him as an effectively wild guy who gets by on fastball only in AAA, and throws it more often than every single MLB starter last season. That's not a recipe for getting guys out regularly right now. Apparently he's got a new curveball that is really helping him out, but he will still need a third pitch if he wants to be an MLB starter (which he's apparently projected as a 3/4 type of guy only anyway?).

Hey, I snagged him, so I'm hoping for the best. But my expectations are severely tempered.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24643
(Past Year: 817)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby Raider704 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm really hoping he pitches Thursday. I'd be very interested to see a Cingrani/Fernandez match up.
Raider704
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 130
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 9 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

Cueto could be back sooner, rather then later so here hoping Cingrani is good out of the gate.

Johnny Cueto expects to start throwing again in five or six days after suffering a strained right lat muscle in his back Saturday in Pittsburgh, and he said Monday he could miss as few as two starts. “I don’t feel this is going to affect me at all,” Cueto said.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager


Posts: 2522
(Past Year: 502)
Joined: 4 Mar 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby thatguy27 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:02 am

footballisbetter.com wrote:Cueto could be back sooner, rather then later so here hoping Cingrani is good out of the gate.

Johnny Cueto expects to start throwing again in five or six days after suffering a strained right lat muscle in his back Saturday in Pittsburgh, and he said Monday he could miss as few as two starts. “I don’t feel this is going to affect me at all,” Cueto said.

Apparently he doesn't understand the phrase, "at all." It has already affected, and is currently affecting, him.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 775
(Past Year: 42)
Joined: 12 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Colorado

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby kevinbaseballer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:22 am

Even though Cueto may be back soon if Cingrani comes out and pitches well he could take over Mike Leake's spot in the rotation
kevinbaseballer
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 211
(Past Year: 34)
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby Pochucker » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:30 pm

I understand that a big part of his game is a very deceptive delivery so he might be useful for at least once around the league.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 679
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 4 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cingrani Time!

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

The team got through last year without any injuries to pitching, it isn't likely to happen this year. Someone else will get hurt at some point and if he does well in this audition he'll take their place. Plus there is always a chance Leake stinks it up.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 7733
(Past Year: 451)
Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, Bloody Sox, germani40, Johnesmype, wingman3110 and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Apr. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(2:20 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Miami at Miami
(7:08 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Seattle
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact