1st Timer in Fantasy Baseball, Asking For Some Thoughts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

1st Timer in Fantasy Baseball, Asking For Some Thoughts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st Timer in Fantasy Baseball, Asking For Some Thoughts

Postby ziggy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello ladies? and gents,

I've played fantasy football and basketball for several years but have never tried baseball before and haven't really kept up with it. One of my friends talked me into joining this year, small league that's mainly played for fun. Maybe next year after I get more competitive I'll try a little more serious league.

Anyway, my roster consists of 1 C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS. Also has 2B/SS and a 1B/3B. I don't know if that's standard of unusual but that's the infield. I can start 5 OF, 2 DH and a Utility Player. I can have 4 bench players as well as 1 DL spot.

I can also start 9 Pitchers. So here we go with the lineup and who I'm starting now.

C-John Buck

1B-Anthony Rizzo

2B-Neil Walker

3B-Aramis Ramirez (15 DL) *currently have no starting 3B

SS-Ian Desmond

2B/SS-Jimmy Rollins

1B/SS-Mark Reynolds

OF-Josh Hamilton, BJ Upton, Torii Hunter, Colby Rasmus, Matt Carpenter

DH-Pujols, Travis Hafner

Util-Ryan Howard

Bench-Ike Davis (lack of open position), Miguel Montero (ditto), and Wil Myers

DL-Granderson

P-David Price, Kris Medlen, Tim Hudson, Ryan Vogelsong, Alexi Ogando, Pettitte, Craig Kimbrel, Glen Perkins, Tom Wilhemsen

So, if you read through all that I would love an assessment of what I drafted and any moves you'd suggest I'd make. I'm 0-1 but it's early. Do I have too many Relievers or is 4 ok? Should I drop Wil Myers and try to pick up a 3B or other position? Many thanks!
ziggy
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st Timer in Fantasy Baseball, Asking For Some Thoughts

Postby JJJur » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:43 am

It helps to know what kind of league you are in. You mentioned small, and since you're 0-1 I figure it's a H2H league. What are the scoring categories? For now I'll assume it's the typical R, RBI, HR, SB, AVG for batting and W, S, K, ERA, WHIP for pitching.

I'd say.. that's a pretty nice looking team, especially on the batting side. You should have enough power there, but I'm not necessarily seeing a lot of speed there. That might hurt your R and SB.

Pitching looks a bit light to me. Price, Pettitte and Medlen are probably fine, Hudson might be. Im not sold on Vogelsong and Ogando. You mentioned 4 relieviers - I'm counting 3, which is a fine number as long as they have their closing jobs nailed down. Kimbrel is aces, the other ones are okay for now, but keep an eye on that when they start to have a blown save or two.

So, see if there is some decent pitching in the Free Agents (Zito is still unowned in 40% of the leagues). I'd probably look to drop Vogelsong and Ogando and try to find more decent SP. Ryan Howard could be a good trade chip since you have Rizzo and Pujols.\

Right now I'd say this is a C+ team, with some better pitching it could be a solid B or B+, then find the speed and you're set.

Good luck!
JJJur
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team