Abandoned Ottoneu Team - Need Help Cleaning It Up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Abandoned Ottoneu Team - Need Help Cleaning It Up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Abandoned Ottoneu Team - Need Help Cleaning It Up

Postby enemyoftheworld » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:21 am

This weekend I took over a Fangraphs Ottoneu team that had been abandoned and missed its auction. It's a 12-Team Mixed $400 salary cap auction League using FanGraphs Points (Linear Weights). With 40-man rosters, I found it difficult to even field a full lineup, but after a few pickups, I think I at least have a full roster. All players will receive a $2 raise for next year if they make an MLB appearance and $1 otherwise. What I'm trying to figure out here is who I should make sure to hold onto for next year as I try to make trades to cleanup the mess and get it competitive again. Also, I need to fill 2 more RP slots and I'd like to have 2 more roster spots open, so I'd like to clean up my bench, too. Who could I simply cut at a penalty of 1/2 their salary? I wouldn't mind trying to finish middle of the pack this year, but realistically I'm going to have a hard time even doing that. The problem with my pitching, especially, is that I seem to have an abundance of SP5-types ... guys that will give me good value, but won't carry my staff. So here's my roster (with my anticipated keepers in BOLD):

C - Miguel Montero $12
C - Tyler Flowers $4
1B - Joey Votto $53
2B - Omar Infante $4
3B - David Wright $31
SS - J.J. Hardy $19
MI - Yunel Escobar $4
OF - Michael Bourn $32
OF - Chris Young $13
OF - Michael Cuddyer $8 (1B/OF)
OF - Coco Crisp $5
OF - Justin Ruggiano $1
UT - Adam LaRoche $4

Thoughts - I know it's pretty light here with Votto and Wright being good enough to carry, but perhaps hard to justify keeping beyond this year. I'm really short in the middle infield spots, for sure.

Bench - 2B/3B Ryan Roberts $3
Bench - OF Leonys Martin $3
Bench - 2B/3B/SS Daniel Descalso $1
Bench - C/3B Josh Donaldson $1
Bench - 2B/OF Jordany Valdespin $1
Bench - OF Justin Maxwell $1
Bench - OF Franklin Gutierrez $1

Thoughts - I am thinking of letting Roberts go since I have positional flexibility elsewhere. I'm hoping that someone among the Martin, Donaldson, Valdespin crowd breaks out this year and they become something to build on. I like Maxwell for spot starts against LH pitchers.

DL - 3B Chase Headley $14
DL - 1B/3B Taylor Green $3

Minors - 1B/3B/OF Alex Liddi $3

Thoughts - I really like Headley at his salary, obviously. Green's injury is bad timing with Ramirez and Hart also down. I think he might contribute later this year, though. I've heard talk of sending Ackley back down to Triple-A with Liddi coming up to play 3B and Seager moving to 2B. Perhaps it's not worth keeping him around based on a rather far-fetched conjecture, especially since he's unlikely to have $5 value for me next year even if he becomes an everyday player.

SP - Anibal Sanchez $11
SP - Wandy Rodriguez $5
SP - Rick Porcello $3
SP - Wei-Yen Chen $3
SP - Marco Estrada $3
SP - Hisashi Iwakuma $3
SP - Jake Arrietta $1
RP - Kenley Jansen $6
RP - Koji Uehara $3
RP - Mark Lowe $1
RP - [empty]
RP - [empty]

Thoughts - Sanchez is an SP2, so I know I'm a little weak at the top here. I like Chen, Iwakuma and Estrada. Again, SP5 types that aren't going to carry me. Could be worse, though. RP is a work in progress. It's fairly easy to get useful RP's out of free agency, so I'm trying to do just that as we speak.

DL - RP Frank Francisco $4
DL - SP Chad Billingsley $3
DL - SP Arodys Vizcaino $3

Minors - RP Javy Guerra $4
Minors - SP Randall Delgado $3

Thoughts - I'm waiting to see what Billingsley looks like coming back from his finger injury. He looked amazing at the end of last season. Francisco might help and I'd imagine Guerra to be up in the Dodgers bullpen sooner rather than later. I don't know what to do with Vizcaino and Delgado.

Thanks in advance for taking a look here. I know it's a mess, but I'd like to right the ship and get things lined up so I have an easier time at it in years coming. I've only now taken this team and don't have any attachment to anyone, so feel free to be brutal in your assessment. Thanks!
enemyoftheworld
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team