Is it too soon to give up on Koch? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it too soon to give up on Koch?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ramble2 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:10 am

It's been one game. One game. Give it a few more games ...
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby matmat » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:13 am

ramble2 wrote:It's been one game. One game. Give it a few more games ...

true... but guillen seems to have no faith in him at all... not sure how that will translate into save chances... or lack there-of.
matmat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby hybrid » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:21 am

he threw an inside fast ball and santiago managed to turn on it and barely got it fair, next he struck out a left hander. he looked good while he was pitching though and hit mid 90's and even 97. if anything i think this gives the sox manager more confidence in him, koch looked good. marte on the otherhand was pathetic, no outs, 3 hits, 2 hr's. also on the 2 hr's he threw it right down the middle for them to hit.
Last edited by hybrid on Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Runningman » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:34 am

Agreed that Koch's stock has risen. Next time Ozzie will leave him in the game.
Runningman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:21 am

i saw the pirates game today and i was holding my breath when mesa came on in the 9th with 1 run in it.....i have kip wells and wanted that W soooo bad.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SpeakEasy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:00 am

I wouldn't give up on Koch just yet after one game.

You don't want no part of Mesa, trust me
SpeakEasy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:04 am

I think you all are going to be suprised by Mesa this yr. Im not saying hes a top 15 or anything - but he will put up saves and %s that are much better than 2003. Looking at last yrs performance is a mistake - he will bounce back nicely. Again - Im not expecting a 2.0 ERA and 1 WHIP, but he should get 25-30 saves with an ERA hovering around 4 and WHIP around 1.3.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rohan » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:16 am

I don't have Koch, nor do I want him. I want Marte and I think he'll be the saved guy by the end of this week. After reading this, I'm tempted to pickup Marte now, but I don't know who to waive...

The key words here are, "and expects the trend to continue"

Manager Ozzie Guillen used Cliff Politte, Billy Koch and Damaso Marte in the ninth inning Monday and expects the trend to continue.
I'm going to use the guys who have the best opportunity to win the game, Guillen said. I hope my players understand that. I'm not the type of guy to stick with one hitter or one player. Did Guillen just establish a committee? The Sox may go that route until a clear candidate for closing duties emerges. Source: Arlington Daily Herald
Rohan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:04 am

matmat wrote:
ramble2 wrote:It's been one game. One game. Give it a few more games ...

true... but guillen seems to have no faith in him at all... not sure how that will translate into save chances... or lack there-of.

Fair enough, but it's not like Koch's stock was incredibly high going into the season either. The first game shouldn't change your assessment of him that much.

Of course, I didn't want Koch on my team before spring training, during spring training or after one game. See, consistency! :-D

As for Mesa, I drafted him very late with the hope that I'd be able to trade him after a few games (all while hoping he doesn't explode in the first few games). I traded him for Brian Roberts yesterday. :-D
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:30 am

I would drop him in a second as soon as you find someone on the WW or through trades that you confindence in. Koch has not been good at all since he left Oakland.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers