Which closer to trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which closer to trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which closer to trade?

Postby Knights » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:15 am

My closer philosophy is to not overpay at the draft, instead going for lower-end options and watching the waiver wire to add closers (last year I got Wilhelmson and Santiago Casilla in this manner). As such, this year I drafted Jose Veras and Sergio Santos, while up till now I’ve added Mitchell Boggs and Kelvin Herrera.

Obviously I don’t want to get into hording would-be closers, and other owners in my 16-team league are already looking to trade for RP.

I’m looking at trying to package Julio Teheran and a closer for an upgrade at SP, but want help in determining if I can afford to do that? Right now I’m targeting Mike Minor, as his owner is actively looking for RP and is really big on prospects (ie: Teheran). I had Minor last year and like what he brings.

I’m leaning towards offering Jose Veras with Teheran, as while Veras is the only RP I have the is “solidly” in the closer roll, I tend to prefer Boggs much more in StL (esp. if Motte is out longer), I’ve just added Hererra in KC should Greg Holland lose the job, and Santos in Tor is the #2 in line and should pick up saves when Janssen needs rest. I catch myself reasoning shipping off Veras because he’s in Houston, even though I know that a bad team doesn’t mean no save opportunities, since even the worst teams will win at least 60 games.

But am I relying too much on the ‘potential’ closers. I mean… that is the direction that my drafting philosophy takes me, but am I going too far by offering up Veras?

He’s my pitching roster… what do you think I should do?
SP Johnny Cueto
SP C.J. Wilson
SP Hiroki Kuroda
SP Josh Beckett
RP Jose Veras
RP Mitchell Boggs
P Sergio Santos
BN Kelvin Herrera
BN A.J. Griffin
BN Julio Teheran
BN Bronson Arroyo
DL Brandon Beachy
Knights
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 101)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which closer to trade?

Postby Johnny Tuttle » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:01 pm

No, I think you're reading this perfectly. Veras isn't even a particularly good pitcher, and with injuries and managers trying to proove their worth, you'll have another shot or 6 to replace Veras with another closer.

I'd go for that deal. Teheran's a better 2014 own than he is now.

viewtopic.php?t=458120
Johnny Tuttle
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicResponse Team
(Past Year: 186)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions