Where have all the good trades gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Where have all the good trades gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where have all the good trades gone?

Postby OBPlover » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 am

In 5 fantasy leagues (yeah I'm sick..I also stepped in and drafted for a fellow poster that couldn't make his draft).

I am truly surprised and disappointed by a) The Lack of trades b) the poor quality of the trades.

The trend seems to be getting worse every year too. Fantasy leagues used to be exciting with trades to be looked at and analyzed. Yeah I know there is another forum dedicated to trade discussion, but I'll bet anything from a Diddle Eyed Joe to a damned-if I know, that for every close trade posted there, there are at least 10 trades floating around cyberspace that are one-sided, "auto rejects".

I have received a few trades out of all those leagues but they look like"

Ian Kinsler for my Ben Zobrist, Yoenis Cespedes and Wil Myers.

Juan Pierre for my Miguel Cabrera.

Oh well, you get the idea.

So I ask..

Where have All the Good Trades Gone????

:-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Where have all the good trades gone?

Postby wingman3110 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:10 am

Ummm, we are 5 days into the season.... :-?

Most teams at the very LEAST will wait about 3-4 weeks before evaluating their teams and starting to make trades. At least that is what have I come across in my fantasy baseball experiences.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 122)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:40 am

In my experience, the first week of the season isn't exactly prime trading time. The guys on my team I just drafted, so chances are I want them, and odds are anybody I'm being offered on are because someone else wants them for the same reason, and they want to send me guys they were probably 'forced' into drafting. This is not a recipe for successful trading. I mean, what else are you really expecting? Otherwise you're just trading for the sake of it, which I'm not really into.

For me, prime trading time comes around Memorial Day. We're over the hot month point where people are still super gun shy, and we can try and make some analysis on whether a player is due for regression or bounce back, or may possess the skills to continue what they're doing. It's similar to the first week, but we've got a little more data to lean on, and our guesses become at least slightly more educated.

Really, I guess I don't understand the point of this thread when we're less than a week into the regular season? I wouldn't even really understand it a month from now.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:14 am

OBPlover wrote:... but I'll bet anything from a Diddle Eyed Joe to a damned-if I know ...

This phrase is new to me! What is a Diddle Eyed Joe?

I wouldn't say good trades are dead (as mentioned, these aren't the best days for trades anyway) but I think that if one is going to combat such practices you have to fight back with measured evidence and statistics. No one will think you're a dolt if you're the one writing the detailed analysis on why a trade is bad. The more you present yourself as the one in the know, hopefully the more likely the trade quality will get better heading your way. Or, if they think you're too smart, they won't propose to you with the junk trades anymore. Win-win.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:07 am

Leagues with good managers = good trade offers
Leagues with poor managers = poor trade offers

It's that simple ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 am

ayebatter wrote:Leagues with good managers = good trade offers
Leagues with poor managers = poor trade offers

It's that simple ;-)

Actually, this is a good summary. Go with this, OP.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Well it seems like people are asking for the moon in my leagues at this point. I inquired about some 1B power in my roto league. Guy has Prince, Goldy and Howard. He has to bench one at all times. I ask him what he would want for Goldy or Howard. He comes back with a offer for Wainwright and Hanley for Howard 8-o. It's not the first guy in the league who has tried to get Hanley for pennies. I guess they think I can't wait a couple months for a player and will dump him for anything.

Another guy had targeted Matt Moore and Shelby Miller on my team. He kept pushing Cuddyer. Both the pitchers are in the 20th plus round as keeper value. Cuddyer is in the top 10 which is totally not worth keeping. So I ask what about Rizzo or Kipnis who both hold similar keeper value to the pitchers. Haven't heard back from him for 2 days lol.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 632)

Postby ichirosan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:58 pm

I've actually done more trades this year than all of last year.

I've already gotten:
In my Dynasty League:
Paul Goldschmidt for Matt Holliday
Kyle Zimmer, Josh Reddick and Mitchell Boggs for Adam LaRoche and Emilio Bonifacio

In my keeper league:
Todd Frazier for Jon Niese
Tim Lincecum for Danny Espinosa

While none of those seem like a huge win for me, I think I got good value and managed to plug a few holes that were worrying me coming out of the draft.

That said, every single offer I've gotten in my yearly league has been utter crap.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm

I've already made a trade. Beltre and Quentin for Giancarlo Stanton. I ended up with Pablo and Beltre in a deep mixed league and the guy wanted to trade Stanton so I obliged.

In a 12 team AL Only league (AKA every single starting fielder and their backup is rostered) one guy missed the draft, then immediately dropped 4 guys after the draft (including Rondon and Archer, who were quickly scooped up), and then immediately traded Des Jennings and Jake Peavy for Michael Saunders, Trevor Plouffe and Ervin Santana. It was vetoed so he traded Bourn and Brett Anderson for the same trio and it was again vetoed. Most people figured it was collusion since the team dumping his players only offered trades to one other team. So... maybe consider yourself lucky that there are no trades! Oh, and in that league I made a blockbuster deal of my own trading James Loney for Zach McAllister. I'm hoping the latter strikes out the former a couple times tonight.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby Izenhart » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:24 pm

I am trying to get Harper in a keeper league. In this league every team keeps 4 players from their roster, so if you have Harper you have him for his entire career if you want. The guy is asking for Mauer, Pujols and Cano, three of my 4 keepers from last year. Trades are definitely very hard to make this early, which is why it's better to wait until May before you start throwing them around.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 286)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers