Official Chris Davis Thread (because he's earned it) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Official Chris Davis Thread (because he's earned it)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Official Chris Davis Thread (because he's earned it)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:57 pm

This thread is for all things Chris Davis. He's off to an amazing start, obviously. The question is, are we witnessing the breakout that we expected years ago from this guy? I mean, that "breakout" kind of came last season, but early on in his career people were talking 45+ HR power for this kid. So, is it just a hot start, and should we expect numbers similar to last season's output. Or has he turned yet another corner, and should we expect another spike in power and run production?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Official Chris Davis Thread (because he's earned it)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 pm

He ended last season with 7 home runs in his last 7 games so he's at 10 in his last 10. If not for him not homering on the last day of the season he would be at 10 in a row.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 295)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Izenhart wrote:He ended last season with 7 home runs in his last 7 games so he's at 10 in his last 10. If not for him not homering on the last day of the season he would be at 10 in a row.

That's pretty awesome. Will it continue? Not every day, mind you, but can we expect an increase, whether it be small or rather significant, in last year's numbers?
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Nemyar » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:26 pm

Rick Dempsey said he's (paraphrasing) the most dangerous hitter in the game.... so there's that.
Nemyar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ayebatter » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Nemyar wrote:Rick Dempsey said he's (paraphrasing) the most dangerous hitter in the game.... so there's that.

Not as long as Manny is playing somewhere. ;-)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... --mlb.html
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1324)

Postby cordscords » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Still has some big holes in his swing, so does Adam Dunn, who's the easy comparison to make. A bit concerning that his walk rate has dropped significantly over the last 2 years, at least Dunn kept his walk rate up in 2011.

I projected him at .255, 25 HR, 65 R, 75 RBI, 1 SB. He's 27 years old so theoretically entering his prime, and his last 10 games overall certainly attest to that. Having said that, there's still some serious cause for concern. Knowing his jekyll and hyde history, I recommend erring on the side of caution. If you have the opportunity to sell high, go for it.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Grounded Polo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:38 pm

cordscords wrote:Still has some big holes in his swing, so does Adam Dunn, who's the easy comparison to make. A bit concerning that his walk rate has dropped significantly over the last 2 years, at least Dunn kept his walk rate up in 2011.

I projected him at .255, 25 HR, 65 R, 75 RBI, 1 SB. He's 27 years old so theoretically entering his prime, and his last 10 games overall certainly attest to that. Having said that, there's still some serious cause for concern. Knowing his jekyll and hyde history, I recommend erring on the side of caution. If you have the opportunity to sell high, go for it.

As a Davis owner, I'd be very happy if he just repeated last year's numbers while improving his underlying numbers so there's more reason to believe he can be a legitimate top 75 player every year with the potential for one off top 25 year spike due to his power.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Padsin05 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 am

I am just pissed I kept on passing and passing on this guy til someone else finally grabbed him

looking at my draft board

16th rounder sheesh
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby isayfujobu » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:18 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:
cordscords wrote:Still has some big holes in his swing, so does Adam Dunn, who's the easy comparison to make. A bit concerning that his walk rate has dropped significantly over the last 2 years, at least Dunn kept his walk rate up in 2011.

As a Davis owner, I'd be very happy if he just repeated last year's numbers while improving his underlying numbers so there's more reason to believe he can be a legitimate top 75 player every year with the potential for one off top 25 year spike due to his power.

I had a hard time believing he can repeat .265-270 with a 30% K rate. Who knows if he can keep up the 25% HR/FB rate. He's at 60% right now. ;-)
isayfujobu
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Power is for real but the AVG isn't. Doesn't mean he can't get hot for half a year and hit way over his head though, a few guys do it every year, Look at McCutchen and Jackson as examples from last year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers