4/4 Cheering, Venting and the Cardinals/Diamondbacks game wa - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/4 Cheering, Venting and the Cardinals/Diamondbacks game wa

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4/4 Cheering, Venting and the Cardinals/Diamondbacks game wa

Postby Izenhart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:51 am

s even longer than the title of this thread. It took 5 hours, 32 minutes to play 16 innings, ending sometime past 3am east coast time. Pennington's single with one out scored fleet footed Jason Kubel from second base with ease, who said Salas was drunk, sleepy and just wanted the darn game to end.

"He walked me on 4 pitches. It looked so intentional, then they just let me have second base on an easy bunt. I knew something was up when he threw the last pitch of the game underhanded and started walking off the mound before the ball got smashed."

Notable notes from the notebook include Mitchell Boggs blowing the save. No word yet if he will have to do the same to Mike Matheny to keep his closer role secure. On the board with their first home runs of the year last night were Paul Goldschmidt, Martin Prado, Yadier Molina, Kung Fu Panda, Ike Davis, Adam Dunn, a bunch of other players who don't matter, and Gio Gonzalez.

Tim Lincecum is back! Back to dominating the walks column again, issuing SEVEN free passes in five long, excruciating innings of "work". Most impressive of this feat was the walking of Juan Uribe, who seemed mad at himself for taking the pitch, and later admitted to losing track of the count.

Ubaldo Jiminez is back! Back to his dominating self and not the meatball machine that he has been the past few years. His fastball was sharp and he was locating well. But this was after Toronto made Justin Masterson look like Greg Maddux, so I wouldn't be buying just yet.

Brandon Morrow is... back? On the other end of the game Morrow looked very good. He was his usual erratic self but not his usual over erratic self, if that makes sense. He struck out 8 in 6 innings, walking just two, while giving up six hits. There is no question his stuff is there and he knows how to pitch. The last step for him to master that will propel him from good to ace is consistent pitch location. If he stays healthy I'm predicting a big second half for Morrow.

Gio Gonzalez is b... being his usual awesome self, allowing just four baserunners and no runs in six innings, striking out five. Soriano picks up save number two of what some say could be 60. Or 70. Don't you guys just love early April hype?

In other news, the world can never have too many cute kitten videos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLqPT9TfDOc

In other baseball news, Chris Davis went 4 for 4 and blasted home run number two. He is on pace to go .625-243-162-567-0. Clearly he will hit at least 50 home runs. Michael Morse continues his monster spring. After leading all of spring training with nine home runs, he is now the sole possessor of the MLB home run lead with 3.

Alexei Ogando and Matt Harvey both struck out 10 batters against AA teams last night, but the stats will count toward their MLB totals.

John Axford came into a non save situation and made a mess of things. 5 hits and three runs allowed while only getting two out. Rafael Betencourt owners were not happy with Axford either, as the last run put COL up by four, and since he was already warming up they let him come in to close the door.

Finally to close out this mess of a day, the Tigers bullpen reared one of it's ugly heads, this head's name is Coke. Phil Coke. You can't make this stuff up. PHIL... COKE. :-S Anyway, Coke blows *coughs* both the save and the game, and now Jim Leyland gets to stay up nights practicing his "Mike Henneman ain't walkin' through that door" speech.

Today's games:

12:35 PM
LA Angels at Cincinnati
Blanton vs Arroyo

12:35 PM
Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh
Wood vs McDonald

1:10 PM
Detroit at Minnesota
Porcello vs Pelfrey

1:10 PM
San Diego at NY Mets
Stults vs Gee

2:10 PM
Kansas City at Chicago White Sox
Guthrie vs Floyd

3:10 PM
Baltimore at Tampa Bay
Gonzalez vs Hernandez

3:35 PM
Seattle at Oakland
Maurer vs Griffin

4:05 PM
Miami at Washington
LeBlanc vs Zimmermann

7:05 PM
Boston at NY Yankees
Dempster vs Pettitte

7:07 PM
Cleveland at Toronto
Myers vs Buehrle

7:10 PM
Philadelphia at Atlanta
Lee vs Medlen
Last edited by Izenhart on Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4/4 Cheering, Venting and the Cardinals/Diamondbacks gam

Postby Izenhart » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:37 am

I've got Lee and Blanton going tonight. Blanton had a strong spring and has always had good peripherals. I'm hoping this year he puts it all together.

Anyone tossing Maurer out there?
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby thedude » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 am

This sums up my feelings on the baseball season thus far:

"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby kab21 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:55 am

Maurer is on my bench with Haren/Garza this week in favor of Sale, Harvey, Buehrle, Travis Wood (vs Pit) and Holland (vs LAA). I like him so I wouldn't have a problem starting him.

And Maurer brings me to the more exciting part of my day. Jose Fernandez is joining my rotation next week. :-) :-D :-b ;-) :-] :-B B-) ;-D }:-) ;-7 :-L :-L :-L :-L :-L

I traded Puig, Maurer and my 1st rd pick (in the 20's hopefully) for Fernandez. Puig has upside and Maurer has mediumside but this league is won and lost by having aces and I'm up against a team with Kershaw/Strasburg/Lee and another with Darvish/Greinke/Medlen/Cueto/Morrow.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:56 am

Zimmerman, Medlan and McDonald going today. Hoping for the McDonald of the first half of 2012.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 154)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:01 am

Any CV thread that includes a fellatio-centric joke in its first stanza is a CV thread I can get behind.

Thrilled with the performances of my first 3 SP of the season yesterday in Ogando, future NL Cy Young Award Winner Matt Harvey, and even Anibal Sanchez, who wasn't efficient, but had a solid innings 2 through 5 after an abysmal Spring. All in all, I'll gladly take a daily line from those 3 along with Parnell and Perkins to the tune of 19.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.66 WHIP, 3 Wins, 2 QS, and 26 Ks. Thank you sir, can I please have another?

I've got another trio going today. The Mets' Dillon Gee, who hopefully realizes just how poor the Padres offense is, as his mates Niese and future NL Cy Young Award Winner Matt Harvey have in the first two games of the series. I've also got Cliff Lee and Kris Medlen facing one another, which is a major pet peeve of mine. It just so rarely turns out to be a good thing; low scoring, two QS, a Win and a ND -- but hey, ya never know, and these guys can both throw the little white sphere, so I'll use these 3 today, leaving me just 4 starts for the remainder of the week.

Also, it's been mentioned a few times in recent CV threads amidst the discussion, but if you have room and he's for any reason available, Gerardo Parra is batting lead-off for Arizona, at least until Adam Eaton returns five or six weeks (?) from now, and thus far he's certainly made the most of it, scoring 4 Runs, stealing a base, belting a solo jack, and going 8-for-his first-16. He's yet to draw a walk, and has fanned twice. Still, as a temporary flyer at little to no cost that could turn into more, worth a shot.

Brett Lawrie owners -- originally he was slated to start a Minor League assignment soon, but that has been pushed back probably two weeks, ad after he began throwing, it was realized that he is further away from being able to play than originally thought by the Blow Jays. This pretty much ensures that Emilio Bonifacio will continue to play 2B every day and earn eligibility there ASAP, with Izturis manning the hot corner.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:37 am

I know that Stras and Gio are good, but wow is the Marlins lineup bad.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:48 am

[quote="bigh0rt"]
Brett Lawrie owners -- originally he was slated to start a Minor League assignment soon, but that has been pushed back probably two weeks, ad after he began throwing, it was realized that he is further away from being able to play than originally thought by the Blow Jays.quote]
me no likey
:-t
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 154)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:07 am

At 1:15 I had to quit on the Cards/Dbacks game and sleep. My alarm jarred me away at 5 this morning.

Beckett and Halladay did no favors to my ERA.

Starting Gee and Sitting Blanton. The Reds are a pretty good offensive team. Saving my IP for those Houston starts.

Picked up Straily in available leagues to start agains Houston Friday.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:38 pm

LOL CB Bucknor. Pujols out by about 5 feet at home plate, Bucknor was in horrible position, called him safe. If he thought Hanigan missed the first tag (which he didn't) he should have called Pujols safe when he touched the plate, rather than waiting a few seconds until Hanigan made a second tag since no call was made.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 174)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers